Direct drive vs chain

Nicky Gee

I'm not a frequent double pedal user, but I've been getting into it more recently. That being said I'm looking for a new one and I have a few questions..

What really is the difference(s) between the direct drive ones and chain driven?(besides the chain obviously) like the pro's and con's..

Secondly, are the direct drive pedals generally more durable than the chain driven or vice versa? It seems I'm kind of rough on double pedals, as I use my whole leg rather than just my toes. I got a DW7002 a few years ago and now it's basically broken and just not in good shape.

Last, any recommendations that aren't too high in price? I'm on a budget here.
I was looking at Gibraltar Intruder direct drive most recently..

Thanks!

You'll be told this several times, so I may as well be the first. You've really gotta get your feet on 'em mate. One man's "pro" is another's "con".

Direct drives offer a very different feel to chain or strap driven pedals. Not everyone likes them. Wander into your local drum store, line up every pedal they have and have a play around.

+ 1, sorry man you have to go try them all out and see what fits you. It's like recommending underwear, lol

+ 1, sorry man you have to go try them all out and see what fits you. It's like recommending underwear, lol

except picking out underwear is soo much easier..and cheaper hah..

I knew i was going to get the obligatory "to each his own", which is why i asked the main differences of the two so to speak.

Funny you should ask though. I actually got a Trick Pro-1V direct drive pedal, and then through my futzing with it to make it feel more comfortable to me, managed to make it feel like my old Tama Iron Cobra Jr.!

It's nice to know I can take a $350 pedal and make it act like a $69 one. I stuck with the Iron Cobra Jr. after that. And even keep an older Flexi Flyer as a spare.

Funny you should ask though. I actually got a Trick Pro-1V direct drive pedal, and then through my futzing with it to make it feel more comfortable to me, managed to make it feel like my old Tama Iron Cobra Jr.!

It's nice to know I can take a $350 pedal and make it act like a $69 one. I stuck with the Iron Cobra Jr. after that. And even keep an older Flexi Flyer as a spare.

The question is, can you take the $69 pedal and make it feel like the $350 pedal did before you "fixed" it! LOL

I knew i was going to get the obligatory "to each his own", which is why i asked the main differences of the two so to speak.

You get that advice for no other reason than in the case of pedals it is sound advice.....not because we can't be bothered answering. Trying them out for yourslef really is the best option....purely because what feels light to me, may not to you. I may think a pedal is responsive, yet you see it as sluggish. See my point?

Pedals and sticks....both fall into the same category. There is just way too "feel" to be individually tailored, for anyone to say categorically which one will be right for your indivdual needs.

Direct drives tend to feel much lighter under foot. I've found them to be very 'honest' pedals in that there feels as if there is an immediate correlation to to what your foot is doing. However, I've noticed that this isn't always a good thing....every slip or timing waiver has a direct response to the drum head. I've even added heavier beaters to mine to try and get that feeling of having a little more weight higher up on the pedal.

Check out this thread: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69635&highlight=direct+drive

And this is what a search for "direct drive" yeilded.....happy reading: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Last edited:
You know, I didn't do that. I just put it back in the box and shipped it back to the store. Sorry... ;)

Yeah, I remember the story, just couldn't resist ribbing you some. It's a great illustration of the point that you have to get your foot on the pedal to know if you'll llike it.

To the OP, I think PFOG's description of the action of a direct drive is spot on. Even direct drives differ in their feel, though. Never tried the Gibralter, though, sorry...

To the OP, I think PFOG's description of the action of a direct drive is spot on. Even direct drives differ in their feel, though. Never tried the Gibralter, though, sorry...

+1 and also makes describing extremely difficult. A Speed King is going to feel quite different from an Axis which is different than a Demon Drive. ]

In general all I can do is echo what PFOG said. Direct drive is basically garbage in garbage out, what you put into it is exactly what you get out of it... there isn't much (if any) forgiveness to it.

I am currently looking for another pedal as it happens. I currently use a double DW 4000 and it is getting a bit worn now. I don't play very fast but I do a lot of paradiddle and triplet beats with accents. So I am looking for a pedal that's not particularly fast to use but a sensitive and quick response sounds like a good idea.

Looking within the DW range for example, many of the players I see on TV have a 5000 either in single or double configuration. Obviously it's a good pedal! On the other hand there is the 9000 which is top of the range and twice as much money. Both pedals are very adjustable and you can make them feel pretty much how you want them, but there's a big difference in price.

Then again lots of guys use Iron Cobras and swear by them. The IC is much lower in price in this country at least. As far as I can tell these are also very adjustable.
Some of these come with a choice of chain or strap or direct drive by changing belts, cams and other bits.

The choice is pretty wide but those are my short list.
Next step as everyone else has said, get along and try them. I'd prefer not to fall in love with a DW9000 though as they are about £1000. The short list just got shorter.

Last, any recommendations that aren't too high in price? I'm on a budget here.
I was looking at Gibraltar Intruder direct drive most recently..

I cant say alot on the whole chain vs direct drive thing, I've never played a DD pedal for more than a few minutes and It felt to me pretty much like what the other posters said IMO.
I did notice that GC has the Mapex Raptors (Direct Drive high end double pedals) on sale for $270, which sounds like a killer deal to me.

Back