Silent Practice

Jrum

Hey all,

I want to do morning practice on my practice pad but I think it would wake the rest of my family up. My practice pad is just a snare with a mesh head. Anyways to practice effectively but maintaining silence.

Oh by the way, by morning practice, I mean around the 6:15am area.

Thanks for any suggestions

From my experience Moongel pads will be rather quiet for practice, plus they're a great workout for the forearm. But having very little rebound, they won't do much for finger control/finesse.

When I'm using 'regular' pads but want to keep sonics down as I possibly can I would put a towel or some cloth under the pad - usually when placing the pad onto my PC desk. I would roughly fold the towel/cloth for even more dampening effect. Works great for me.

Since I have been spending a ton of time practicing lately whenever I work in a really late night practice time, I use that time to practice playing pretty much as quietly as possible. Normally I try to practice at various different dynamic levels etc. but playing soft and clean/fast is so challenging that it's kind of cool to go through whatever exercise you are working on pianissimo like a 1/4 inch off the pad for normal sticking and like an inch off the head for accents. Being mainly a rock drummer, it's a big challenge for me to stay quiet especially as the tempo goes up so it's a nice change of pace.

Back