Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

These are very cool. Teak si Ok but I'd prefer a few more finishes.
I like the smaller low mass lugs. More shell less lugs to see.
As is typical of innovations, there is always resistance by some people in the market to any radical change.

"Ikea of drums" - there is some merit to that. I mean most people can follow instructions and properly screw lugs into a shell right? I'd gladly do it for getting a nice shell at a cheaper price.

I believe you have the sizes wrong. This is what they are according to Guitar Center's website. Guitar Center is charging $949.99 for the 4-Piece, and 799.99 for the 3-Piece.

Ludwig Signet 105 Terabeat 4-Piece Shell Pack Configuration:
22 x 18" kick
10 x 8 and 12 x 9" mounted toms
16 x 16" floor tom

Ludwig Signet 105 Gigabeat 3-Piece Shell Pack Configuration:
22 x 18" kick
12 x 9" mounted toms
16 x 16" floor tom

I believe you have the sizes wrong. This is what they are according to Guitar Center's website. Guitar Center is charging $949.99 for the 4-Piece, and 799.99 for the 3-Piece.

22 x 18" kick
16 x 16" floor tom

22 x 18" kick
12 x 9" mounted toms
16 x 16" floor tom

GC is incorrect. Nothing like making a typo right off the bat. Gigabeat bass is 20x15, according to Bermuda, etc.

Sauder furniture compnay has made a mint on KD furniture for folks that don't want to pay 1000.00 for a stereo center,or computer desk, and almost amything we buy today has a "some assembly required" sticker on it. I also think this is not much different than buying Keller shells, staining them, putting on the hardware and saying we built a custom drum. Time will tell

They're not pretending they're 'custom drums', though. They're Ludwig drums.

Seeing these kits set up correctly and put together properly really puts them in a whole new light for me. And it is great to hear that they have THE SOUND you'd expect from a Ludwig drum set.

That ebony finish is amazing, and I have to admit the alpine blue is quickly growing on me. The teak looks okay but a little plain in pics, but I'm sure in person it looks more interesting.

It's also REALLY nice to see someone leading the charge away from the ubiquitous 22"x18" bass drum. I hope this catches on.

The lugs...I like that they're low mass and really allow the eye to dwell on the finish, but part of me doesn't like that they don't immediately read "Ludwig." I don't think they read as industrial (or cheap) looking as I first thought they did, in fact they're growing on me too. ...But I think they'd look even better with some mini-classic lugs on there...

Hopefully if this initial offering hits well we'll see more sizes.

Here's another pic from NAMM. I'm not in to them, but I thought I post up for those who are.

Attachments

• signetdrums.jpg
    signetdrums.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 3,446
And my Gretsch Renown has 10

Eight lug bass drums tune and stay tuned easier. I have both and the 8 lug hardly ever needs adjustment but the 10 lug often does. Not a big deal but if you think about it on a 22 inch drum the 8 lugs need to be drawn just a little tighter and therefor don’t slip as quick. Gretsch uses the same philosophy on the 5 lug toms. It does work.

Last edited:
I don't get how the assembly is a selling point and I hate the finishes.

I also don't get the 10, 12, 16 configuration, I think a 14 needs to squeeze in there.

Already discussed how user assembly makes this kit extremely affordable for what it is.

There's a 14" floor tom available separately, as well as an 8" tom.

I cried and poo'd my pants.

You may have some other issues...

I wonder if they'll be adding any additional sizes?

Bermuda, will they be adding anything new to the Keystone line? Say different colors?

As mentioned, there are other sizes available. Don't know for sure about the Keystones, but I think all wraps may finally be available on all USA lines except Signet

I wanna see some videos of these drums. If anyone knows of videos yet, please post them.

Jim Catalano will be doing the booth tour, and I will be hitting kiciks & toms on the 4 USA lines to demonstrate the sound differences. It should end up on Facebook. Hopefully the camera mic will pick up accurate sound... he's never recorded drum sounds with it.

22 x 18" kick
16 x 16" floor tom

22 x 18" kick
12 x 9" mounted toms
16 x 16" floor tom

My sizes come from the Ludwig product sheet, and I can specifically assure you that the GigaBeat is 20, 12 & 14". Kick depths look 15 & 16" to me, but I can measure to be sure.

Excellent pricing BTW!

Bermuda

I actually like the finishes, and I can buy into the basic premise of this line. Low mass lugs, assembly required, lower price - I'm good with all of that and kudos to Ludwig for coming up with this concept.

Here's the thing I'm having trouble with:

Yes, the way the lugs 'attach' does remind me of Ikea = cheap in my mind. Couldn't a low mass lug also have one bolt that attaches the lug to the shell? Couldn't a buyer assembled kit include lugs that have one bolt each? Is there a sonic advantage at all to the bolt-less lug, ie does it increase resonance? I don't know. If there is really an actual advantage to these lugs, I might see it another way. In lieu of that, I just don't get the clip on lugs. If I was assembling one of these kits, I'd have no problem screwing in one bolt per lug!

The advantage to the lug not having a screw is that neither Ludwig or the customer has to do any extra work. They've made the assembly process simple and fast, and there is no danger of lugs falling out by themselves, or stretching the holes and becoming unusable.

Bermuda

Giving the drums a cleaning would be easier by this design.
I Like the idea of being able to strip a drum in just a few mins for a full polish.

Giving the drums a cleaning would be easier by this design.
I Like the idea of being able to strip a drum in just a few mins for a full polish.

There's a "hand-applied thin-lacquer process" that will make cleaning easy, although I suspect any kind of harsh chemical or abrasion isn't very good for them. I'd think a terry cloth and mild soapy water would work.

I'll ask the guy who knows more about the veneer.

Bermuda

I'm sure Ludwig has tested what I'm about to say, but I'm curious how the lugs behave at low tunings, JAW for instance. Will these lugs rattle or 'give' more at low tension, allowing the head to go out of tune more easily than a 'normal' drum? I'm also wondering about long term quality with these lugs. What kind of shape will this kit be in 5, 10 years from now, for the average gigging drummer? I'll admit that I was somewhat shocked at the rather 'un-Ludwig' look of these drums, but they're actually growing on me. Looking forward to seeing one in person.

I'm sure Ludwig has tested what I'm about to say, but I'm curious how the lugs behave at low tunings, JAW for instance. Will these lugs rattle or 'give' more at low tension, allowing the head to go out of tune more easily than a 'normal' drum? I'm also wondering about long term quality with these lugs. What kind of shape will this kit be in 5, 10 years from now, for the average gigging drummer? I'll admit that I was somewhat shocked at the rather 'un-Ludwig' look of these drums, but they're actually growing on me. Looking forward to seeing one in person.
Even when a drum is tuned at JAW there is tension on the lug. The lugs fit tight in the holes that are in the shell. Plywood is very resilient by composition. I don't think that it will be an issue.

Even when a drum is tuned at JAW there is tension on the lug. The lugs fit tight in the holes that are in the shell. Plywood is very resilient by composition. I don't think that it will be an issue.

Um, yea I know that. A drummer friend of mine likes to tune JAW, and also likes to hit rimshots on his toms. I'm curious how a drum with snap-on lugs would behave under these playing conditions. I like to hit rimshots on toms here and there, but I don't tune JAW. I'm on the lookout for a 20-12-14 kit, so I'm intrigued by this new line.

Back