Advice for metal drumming?

jmhudak17

Usually I'm a punk or rock drummer; I've rarely played metal. However, I just joined a band of a friend of mine because their drummer quit. The band consists of a singer, one guitarist, a bassist, and me. It's been more difficult for me to come up with drum parts for this type of music as it definitely does not come naturally. I have a demo recording of the guitar part for one of the songs, and I would greatly appreciate it if someone would give me some tips.

Guitar part download: http://www.mediafire.com/?t10cj9tjcc0its6

i'll record some drums to your friends guitar to give you an idea.

Definitely study up like everyone said. Also there's no "right" way to play metal. Just play whatever you think sounds good. Do you really want to sound like every other metal drummer out there? Metal doesn't have to be all double bass and blast beats; like for example Abe Cunningham of the Deftones only plays single bass.

Ive been in a few metal bands man, and ive got the most positive response about doing something a little outside the box :)

One cool little trick is to play something on a single kick pedal or a few bars, then during the same part (a few bars before a change) kick in the doubles, it works really well to drive a song and keep the same feel

Definitely study up like everyone said. Also there's no "right" way to play metal. Just play whatever you think sounds good. Do you really want to sound like every other metal drummer out there? Metal doesn't have to be all double bass and blast beats; like for example Abe Cunningham of the Deftones only plays single bass.

TOTALLY AGREE, I love metal, and a ton of heavier music. I started playing a double pedal and finding it difficult (frustrating). But I still can play along with heavy stuff, you just have get creative! Creativity can breed brilliance, think out of the box. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't!?! Sure is fun to work at....

Back