Sharing a stage/drums

but then the guitarist raised the point that the soundman wouldn't want to put mics on 2 kits (even if I supply my own!) so even if I brought my own kit no one would hear it!

This sounds ridiculous! You're talking to the wrong person. You need to talk to the sound ppl, they can't be that stupid, if they are do what larryace suggests.

Hi guys,

Feel I should report back on this one. Wasn't as bad an outcome as I had expected.

In the end the drummer of the headline act got in touch (literally at the 11th hour as I was just about to pull the plug) and we agreed that it would be a logistical nightmare to be swapping around a left handed complex kit plus mics etc. The solution we both agreed on was that I could set up my drums on the stage first then remove them quickly at the end. This would be while he sets up off the stage, just having to lift the kit on when I was finished - great solution!

However when I arrived I discovered to my horror that we were no longer playing on an open-air stage but crammed into a small upstairs bar, which meant having to carry heavy equipment up 3 flights of stairs - not good for my back! On arrival we were greeted by the headline act who in fairness were very friendly and accomodating, unlike the soundman. I asked the sound engineer how much stage space I could use to which he replied - "I don't give a damn how much space you use - I'm going home now". Charming I thought, but pretty much set the tone for the rest of the evening.

Once we all got set up there was a very quick soundcheck of only 20-30 seconds, but with no drum mics. The sound engineer had decided to show up at this point so I asked him if we were micing drums at all to which I got a scowl like I had just killed his dog or something. He then threw a battered looking bass mic in front of the kick and said "that's all you're getting". I decided no to let him annoy me any further, as this scenario in the past would have resulted in me simply getting up and walking out.

Anyway, we played our gig to a very receptive crowd and with only minor mistakes (no one noticed!) the show was a great success. Upon finishing the rest of the band helped me take down my gear which took all of 15 minutes, enabling the other band to get set up pretty much immediately. We even got very nice compliments from the headline act and got asked to support at future gigs!

All in all a good experience (ignoring grumpy sound engineer), and good publicity for the group.

Thanks for the input guys!

Thanks,

R

hand the drummer a snickers bar and say call me when your done being a whiny F'in Bit_h and your ready to give a performace and have a good time..

Until then eat a Di_K..

But thats just me dont be me Im an ahole.. Thats what my wife tells me. But I respond with my training is never complete so im not a complete ahole..

Back