BONGOS TUNING ISSUES

woolina

Hey there fellas!
So, i own Tycoon concerto series natural bongos
I'm playing for like 6 months and still i face a lot of trouble evenly tuning... what is weird is that most often i'd get both left and right side evenly tuned, but the MIDDLE part of the macho ends up sounding different. It's all about macho tuning, i don't really face any trouble tuning hembra. My skins are around 6 months old, buffalo skin, but i did play them only for around 4 months or so.... and this problem was following me since i bought them and even on my first drum it was the same.... so i don't think it's actually about skins.... maybe i just lack practice, but i did everything right, many times, accurately, ending with the same result. I'll appreciate any clues, links, videos..anything

Thanks in advance

If your macho is cranked up where it should be, then the center of the head shouldn't have any resonance at all. The action on the macho is played near the rim anyway. Can you post some videos of your bongos, or playing? Or post something that you are using as a guide for tuning? There is a lot of garbage on youtube when it comes to bongos, but I'm guessing you are probably using some good resources already. Just don't be scared to crank the heck out of the head.

No, i mean is sounds different not in the middle of the macho drum like center point, i mean in the centre edge, like on the edge near the rim between left and right lugs.

What do you mean by "cranked up where it should be" and "crank the heck out of the head"?

Sorry i'm just not and English native so that's why im confused :)

Generally, i used these two sources for tuning:

http://www.bongomania.com/eng/articles/thebasics4.html

plus bongo tuning with Memo Acevedo on you tube.

I also looked up several other articles about tuning but mostly all of them contain just about the same general information like "turn the lugs clockwise" and "dont go diagonally on lugs" except bongomania, they got a different opinion on that)) anyway, i never found an article tellin me what to do in case i got my middle-rim sound different. It's really strange, sometimes even like left and right rims (where lugs are) are tuned to the same pitch and the middle rim sounds different.......

Back