Gospel/R&B/Hip Hop style drumming

This is yet another superfluous "Different strokes for different folks" thread.

Gavin Harrison gets bored by the double kicks and crossover stuff. Fair enough, i can see why and I can;t fault the guy given how insanely talented he is. But I find it quite strange the amount of people that literally WORSHIP Buddy Rich on the DW forum and yet have no time for the modern follow ons.

"Thomas Pridgen is so boring after while, all he does is fast chops all over the kit." But...eh... isn't...that.... what Buddy was famous for? I just find it strange how much negativity Pridgen attracts from drummers for being such a down to earth guy with out of this world chops. Omar calls the shots in TMV and Pridgen plays them.

And Buhzie: Yeah i can only imagine too. But I also like to imagine Ringo dealing with it, then Gavin Harrison, then Marco Minnemann. That's a fun game you have there.

i don't have a problem with gospel chops bt i would say that everything should be in moderation..and the most important thing should be kept in mind..which is GROOVE!!

well the gospel community expects a lot from it's drummers
and like deathmetalconga said, this style of playing is particular to its genre, and also amen to the double bass obsession
some people have their own opinions and i respect that
to me gospel drummers have chops like no others, and most of the people that complain about them probably aren't even able half of the linear licks they do
and idk about other areas, but over here most gospel drummers are able to play in the pocket, and also succeed in other styles such as latin(afro-cuban/brazilian), jazz, and funk sooo.
you can't be ignorant about it, i know drumers with nasty chops but they dont go crazy throwing down 32nd note licks everywhere, and make the band sound good, but if you're watching a "shedz volume 2 video", then obviously thats the whole point of it lol.
its dumb to say all gospel drummers, just kill the set all the time.
for example chris coleman, hes a monster lol, but listen to the album he played for israel and new breed, he does nothing close to hard
lets not be ignorant people, imo gospel and jazz musicians are the best

Last edited:
i watched that gavin harrison interview. i know what he's saying about ideas impressing him more than chops and i feel the same way. but it's just that about some of the gospel drummers that's so impressive to me. whenever i hear them i'm always thinking "how did they ever come up with that one?" for example, i was watching one of those "kick snare hats" videos from aaron spears and he was doing more cool stuff with that tiny kit than most drummers can do with a 9 piece kit. the thing is, i could never even think of half the things he was playing in that video, and i think that's what impressed me about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGMlZAsI9BE

but he and his peers are also very musical drummers and don't spray around chops all the time. when i hear them accompanying american idols singers and r&b superstars they play just the right thing at the right time.

well the gospel community expects a lot from it's drummers
and like deathmetalconga said, this style of playing is particular to its genre, and also amen to the double bass obsession
to me gospel drummers have chops like no others, and most of the people that complain about them probably aren't even able half of the linear licks they do
and idk about other areas, but over here most gospel drummers are able to play in the pocket, and also succeed in other styles such as latin(afro-cuban/brazilian), jazz, and funk sooo.
you can't be ignorant about it, i know drumers with nasty chops but they dont go crazy throwing down 32nd note licks everywhere, and make the band sound good, but if you're watching a "shedz volume 2 video", then obviously thats the whole point of it lol.
its dumb to say all gospel drummers, just kill the set all the time.
for example chris coleman, hes a monster lol, but listen to the album he played for israel and new breed, he does nothing close to hard
lets not be ignorant people, imo gospel and jazz musicians are the best

Well said sir, I agree with you 100%!

Yeah... I frankly never get sick of hearing these guys play crazy fills. I usually only watch it in ten minute bursts on the web, but I'm always floored. I just spent a good amount of time last night checking these videos out. Great stuff... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqkCVOrLJ6Q

I took the time to check out the youtube vids. I wasn't sure what you were talking about

"Gospel/R&B/Hip Hop style drumming"

I don't totally agree on categorizing this style of drumming. There are some great Gospel, R&B drumming. I don't think I have heard much acoustic drumming in Hip Hop....???

This is what Nodiggie calls "fly swatting".

It is cool to make an extravagant fill here and there IF the music allows it.

But, "fly swatting" on a continual basis becomes little more than noise within ANY song or ANY genre after a short while.

Check out Chris Daddy Daves and Ahmir Questlove Thompson. Great acoustic hip hop drumming.

Back