Daily home practise.

What are you asking, exactly? I don't understand this post at all. Either insomnia is finally destroying my attention span or this one isn't so clear.

Dear Zambizzi,

Very simple, what are you practising on drums on a daily basis?
Can you tell us? Am I made myself clear?

I.E: I am practising John Tempesta, right now!

Thanks & Regards,

PD: If you are tired, get some sleep!

I'm mostly practicing rudiments, fills, new beats, bass pedal technique, all that fun stuff

Lately I've been focusing on practicing patterns between the feet and hands that go for example R-F-F-L-R-F-F-L and repeat, or just alternating hand-foot with both my left and right hands, focusing on keeping every note even. Other things I work on include basic jazz time and trying to come up with and practice tasteful comping. Other than that, playing along to music to practice keeping steady time and keeping a pocket.

I'm trying to make bass and snare conversations under spang spang a lang

I see, sorry about that - long day.

Lately I'm working heavily on hand technique...I'd say it's the first hour of practice every night. Everything from grip to free-stroke to Moeller to valving...etc.

I'm learning a few new tunes too, transcribing patterns and what not.

I'm working on learning twenty songs for a new band that we are forming from the ashes of two burnt up bands that we merged. It has been an uphill battle so far but it's coming along nicely. I've been learning contemporary Country songs for our new female vocalist. I have found that modern country is a lot like old Rock and Roll with a slightly different flavor. I'm liking it. I didn't think that I would at first! But I still thank God for the Blues Band and the Contemporary Bluegrass band that I also play in. "I carved my name in to his leather seats" yada,yada.yada, OH BOY!

I am practicing rudiments, hand-foot-hand triplets, and a ton of groove transcriptions from Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckl, and especially David Garibaldi. I am also working on Afro-Cuban and Brazilian rhythms (I have several different forms of bembe down so far, with mambo coming more slowly, and some others) for college drum set auditions.
I have a jazz combo and so I have been doing a lot of arranging lately, which helps with my theory and experience playing. In fact tomorrow we are playing my arrangement of "Caravan" (complete with an open drum solo at the front - hehe) in front of my entire high school! Anyway, I digress...

I am practicing rudiments, hand-foot-hand triplets, and a ton of groove transcriptions from Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckl, and especially David Garibaldi. I am also working on Afro-Cuban and Brazilian rhythms (I have several different forms of bembe down so far, with mambo coming more slowly, and some others) for college drum set auditions.
I have a jazz combo and so I have been doing a lot of arranging lately, which helps with my theory and experience playing. In fact tomorrow we are playing my arrangement of "Caravan" (complete with an open drum solo at the front - hehe) in front of my entire high school! Anyway, I digress...

What do you do with all the rest of your free time? :p

I'm...

• practicing Stick Control stickings with my feet while maintaining a double-time roll (single, double, inverted double) with my hands. This little exercise I whipped up proved to be incredibly challenging, so it must be beneficial! :)
  • wading through different Syncopation interpretations to see which ones still need some work... and they all do! :p
  • learning constant release on the bass drum by coordinating other limbs with a continuous 16th note bass drum ostinato. In addition, I'm trying to develop triple strokes using a similar motion.
  • polishing my half time shuffle.
  • just assing around when time permits.

I'm just busting my ass trying to learn the songs to the musical "BIG", which I recently agreed to drum for in a production by the local (Ames, IA) community theater. Opening night is in two weeks and I just got the music and the CDs two days ago...lotsa work ahead...I can tell that my reading is already going from negligible to just bad.

Hello, my fellows.

Your input it`s outstanding, I am learning from you as well. Please continue rolling your comments in!!!

Thanks a lot,

Ian

Nice thread! I'm still a beginner (well 2.5 years) so I'm still focusing on the basics alot.

I spend an hour or so working at a slow speed on rudiments, so that's 20 mins of single stroke rolling, another 20 mins for doubles and 20 mins again for the paradiddle. I follow this with 5 mins on the buzz roll, I also spend 10 minutes on limb independence/linear playing. Finally I play to songs for half an hour to an hour, at the moment I'm trying to increase my speed/endurance so I'm mostly playing to death metal.

Most of my practice is playing along with CDs. I try to get in two 45 - 60 minute sets. I practice like I'm playing a show set at an important gig. I'm usually pretty wiped out after that.

Takes about an hour to cool down.

If I have difficulty with a part I might work on it after the practice session or before the next one.

At the moment I'm playing along to midi versions of all my band's songs, and increasing the tempo by one BPM a day. I've also been spending some time just playing 16ths with my left foot along with whatever the day's tempo is, and playing paradiddles and things over the top (it's power metal, so I'm working up to playing 190BPM 16ths on the kick...may take a while!)

Current tempo is 124. I started at 110, as I thought that if I really concentrated on getting everything right at that speed, as I got faster then everything would still be just where it needed to be.

Learning 12/8th time and how to smooth out shuffles and keep triplets from bunching up. Hot Fun in the Summertime; Sly and the Family Stone.

Still pretty new.

Last edited:
Back