Dented Shell

McleodRyan

That is the snare bed, for where the snares lay, it is intentionally made that way.
You see a dip there on all snares.
Carry on, should be a nice snare. Sound King?

Virtually all snare drums have these. They're called snare beds and they allow the wires to rest against the head better to avoid snare buzz.

I guess nobody looked at the second picture---someone used a hammer to make the snare bed deeper---that is not normal :(

first pic looks normal like others said for the snare bed. That second pic just makes me cringe. Is that on the exact same side the first pic was taken? Can't see that crease on the inside on the first pic.

Those dents are not the snare beds. Those are, "it's been dropped" or otherwise mishandled at some point.

That thing needs some serious bodywork---since he said it is the same on both sides it's fairly obvious that it was done deliberately---Idiots should not be allowed to "work" on drums!

Almost looks like someone tried to bend the snare bed back out with pliers or something. Looks like there is an inward crease to me. Maybe not, camera tricks are funny.

Those are not dropped or hammered or damaged.
That's how they made snare beds on metal drums in the past. It's crimped.

Hollywood Jim has a snare like that.

My Dynasonic from the early 70s does not have these marks. Maybe the OP's snare predates this?

Hollywood Jim has a snare like that.

Those dents do not line up with the holes for attachment of the snare throw off. No way. Not even close to the photos Jim showed in his thread,. In the first photo you can see another small dent in the shell. That has been abused

Those two pictures are very bad pictures. It’s too hard to make a proper evaluation using the two photos supplied. Take better pictures. Take some pictures from further away. In better light. In better focus.

Thanks

I've had the same metal Slingerland snare and that's what they did back at good ole' Slingerland. They crimped like that. The crimp is exactly centered to those 2 set screw holes one sees. Cringe if you like, but it worked. Some older Supras have the same, google images of 'metal snare beds'.
Its not been dropped. Symmetrically dented by a drop exactly where the snares are supposed to go??
OP, carry on, assemble the drum, make a vid and show us how lovely it sounds buddy.

My Dynasonic from the early 70s does not have these marks. Maybe the OP's snare predates this?

Yep, pre 1970’s. Those are crimped snare beds . Many metal snares had crimped beds pre 1960’s. Don’t know the year they all stopped that but my 68 luddy Supra doesn’t have them. Think most stopped that in late 50’s or very early 60’s.

Better pics would help but from what I see looking at the pics on my phone that seems normal and I’m guessing a pre 60’s slingerland . Like him said post some better pics .

Those are absolutely, without doubt, factory snare beds. I worked in a music store/prosound dealership for many years and changed a lot of heads on old drums. I've seen those bed-crimping marks hundreds of times.

GeeDeeEmm

Back