No More Octopad In Guitar Center Drum Off

BenjaminCamelot

Anyone else besides me glad that the Octopad isn't in the Guitar Center Drum Off? I know I am because during the years it was in the Drum Off, it basically almost became the "Octopad Off" because in every part off a drummer's segment, it felt like you HAD to use the Octopad because if you didn't, you're out. I know of course I'm not the most knowledgable on this but feel free to comment on this.

I'm glad they took it out. I always thought the deal was how creative you were on actual drums.

I think they should take it one step further and make everyone play the same small four-piece kit with two cymbals and no double pedal ;)

I'm glad they took it out. I always thought the deal was how creative you were on actual drums.

I think they should take it one step further and make everyone play the same small four-piece kit with two cymbals and no double pedal ;)

Haha, imagine people trying to try doing doubles on a single pedal or triplets. That would be actually a little hilarious to watch but really though, I can't imagine that

Anyone else besides me glad that the Octopad isn't in the Guitar Center Drum Off? I know I am because during the years it was in the Drum Off, it basically almost became the "Octopad Off" because in every part off a drummer's segment, it felt like you HAD to use the Octopad because if you didn't, you're out. I know of course I'm not the most knowledgable on this but feel free to comment on this.

Agreed 10000% percent.

It was one of the reasons I stopped paying attention the drum off.

Now that is a great idea. Leveling the playing field, let the most creative drummer win!

GC makes more money off the sale of double pedals that singles, and 2 cymbals is a heck of a lot cheaper that 8 with stands, racks, dogbones and all the bells and whistles.

How about a new and independant Bo Drum Off contest ? On a Mapex Saturn if you want to avoid forum chaos of course !

Wow, I may actually start watching those again.

(The keyword here is may.)

How many drummers own octopads anyway?

It was a dumb idea from jump street.

It's like putting a tabla up there.

I stole one of my most popular pieces of schtick from a drummer in a drum off.

This guy absolutely punished his poor little 10" splash cymbal, it was really entertaining.

Now on certain song endings, I absolutely abuse my little splash, actually trying to break it. It will get like 20 to 30 really hard, kind of violent hits in the course of about 5 seconds

I can't believe it hasn't broken in all these years.

I think I may frame it if it ever breaks. It's not exactly perfect looking anymore. I did manage to bend it, but amazingly there are no cracks. Sabian AAX 10"

This guy absolutely punished his poor little 10" splash cymbal, it was really entertaining.

Now on certain song endings, I absolutely abuse my little splash, actually trying to break it. It will get like 20 to 30 really hard, kind of violent hits in the course of about 5 seconds

I think I may frame it if it ever breaks. It's not exactly perfect looking anymore. I did manage to bend it, but amazingly there are no cracks. Sabian AAX 10"

I'd say Mallet KATs are better in my opinion but is the drummer you're talking about in one of the GC drum offs or just another drum off I don't know about?

I'd say Mallet KATs are better in my opinion but is the drummer you're talking about in one of the GC drum offs or just another drum off I don't know about?

He was participating in my local GC drum-off here in PA. It was probably 8 years ago already.

What's are Mallet KATS?

That sounds hilarious! Got any footage of this?

Larry, that sounds like a fun shtick. If I were ever in a heavier band, I would get a cheap china cymbal or crash and try to break it at every gig.

He was participating in my local GC drum-off here in PA. It was probably 8 years ago already.

What's are Mallet KATS?

It's a mallet MIDI controller, so if you play marimba or vibraphone, you can use that to trigger synth sounds.

I think I've watched maybe three GC Drum Off videos in my life. Only one of them actually stood out, and that's because the drummer was jumping around and standing on his stool during the solo. (I don't say this admiringly.) They otherwise all had a sameness about them. And by sameness, I mean lots and lots of notes and faffing on the Octopad. One dynamic: loud. And perpetuating every single stereotype drummers have ever been subjected to.

I would personally much rather see a drumoff involving any or all of the following:

- Money beat, five minutes, stay on the beat, no noodling, no fills. Cymbal crashes not allowed more than once every 32 measures.
- Sightreading a chart.
- Improvise a drum part with a live band or (if a band isn't available) against a drumless track.
- Be assigned a random groove genre (samba, Bo Diddley, halftime shuffle) and groove it for two minutes with a live rhythm section.

Be nice to see someone win just off of creating a serious infectious groove rather that amazing 4 way interdependence and blazing fills everywhere, js

Be nice to see someone win just off of creating a serious infectious groove rather that amazing 4 way interdependence and blazing fills everywhere, js

Now don't you start making sense over there..... ;)

Haha, imagine people trying to try doing doubles on a single pedal or triplets. That would be actually a little hilarious to watch but really though, I can't imagine that

I know, right? Who could imagine such sillyness as triplets on a single pedal? Practically unpossible. What's next? One handed 16ths on hi hats? You'd have to do something totally ridiculous like practice for a while! Inconceivable!

I know, right? Who could imagine such sillyness as triplets on a single pedal? Practically unpossible. What's next? One handed 16ths on hi hats? You'd have to do something totally ridiculous like practice for a while! Inconceivable!

Sounds nightmarish....

Back