Ronnie Vannucci: I’ll Go With Buddy

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
The Killers' Ronnie Vannucci talks big
Away from his 'day job,' the drummer takes center stage as the singer and guitarist with his other band, Big Talk, which performs Sunday at the Casbah.
By George Varga | 2:22 p.m.*July 18, 2015

vanuucci_ronnie.jpg

Q: You drummed in your school jazz ensembles. If you could sit down with Buddy Rich, Max Roach or Elvin Jones, who would you pick and why?

A: Oh, man, what a great question. Those are three of my favorites, three of the forefathers of modern drumming. I'll go with Buddy, not only because he's fresh in my mind... but I'd like to sit down with anybody like that, who had a preternatural instinct for music. There are a lot of drummers who can play their asses off and be really fast, but Buddy was really the king of musicality, phrasing and being able to make the drums a much more musical instrument. He was flashy, but his phrasing made the drums sing. That takes a real talent and it's not something easily learned.

Full Story

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

The Killers' Ronnie Vannucci talks big
Away from his 'day job,' the drummer takes center stage as the singer and guitarist with his other band, Big Talk, which performs Sunday at the Casbah.
By George Varga | 2:22 p.m.*July 18, 2015

vanuucci_ronnie.jpg

Q: You drummed in your school jazz ensembles. If you could sit down with Buddy Rich, Max Roach or Elvin Jones, who would you pick and why?

A: Oh, man, what a great question. Those are three of my favorites, three of the forefathers of modern drumming. I'll go with Buddy, not only because he's fresh in my mind... but I'd like to sit down with anybody like that, who had a preternatural instinct for music. There are a lot of drummers who can play their asses off and be really fast, but Buddy was really the king of musicality, phrasing and being able to make the drums a much more musical instrument. He was flashy, but his phrasing made the drums sing. That takes a real talent and it's not something easily learned.

Full Story

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Would have thought that was a description more fitted to Max Roach but fair do's

Back