Practice question

Blankso

I usually practice my exercises 10 or 20 minutes a day. Straight, without out stopping (or trying to do it with out stopping). Is that a good amount of time to spend on an exercise?
What do you do? And what would you recommended?

It depends on what your goals are and how you are practicing.

20 minutes of good practice a day is a good way to maintain your chops. Thats what I try to do.

If you trying to get better, it will take more time and more work.

When I said practice 20 minutes i didnt mean I do all of my exercises in 20 min. I do EACH ex. in 20 minutes. Overall I practice 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours a day (it depends on whos home at what time ect.)

I hope some knowledgeable people here say you're overdoing it, because I only do about 2-3min per exercise :|

If I'm working on something new I'll go a lot longer, but for my usual daily exercises (singles, doubles, triplets, accents, foot stuff, etc.) its 2-3min each (a lot of them tho).

I spend about 2 hours a day, in little bursts of 5 -10 mins during the day (I work from home) and at least an hour, sometimes quite a bit more, in the evening.

I can definitely practise too much, especially when I'm learning a groove. I don't like to practise and get it wrong so I stop if I'm losing the groove too much.

I hope some knowledgeable people here say you're overdoing it, because I only do about 2-3min per exercise :|

If I'm working on something new I'll go a lot longer, but for my usual daily exercises (singles, doubles, triplets, accents, foot stuff, etc.) its 2-3min each (a lot of them tho).

I hope I find out that 3 minutes of practice on one exercise is good too. Cuz that would mean I could fit more exercises in the day. That would be YAAAY.
But I dont feel like im overdoing anything. Practicing is the funnest thing I do. Seriously. If I had a sound proof room I would neeeeeeeveeerrrr leaaave

I hope I find out that 3 minutes of practice on one exercise is good too. Cuz that would mean I could fit more exercises in the day. That would be YAAAY.
But I dont feel like im overdoing anything. Practicing is the funnest thing I do. Seriously. If I had a sound proof room I would neeeeeeeveeerrrr leaaave

I agree!. IMO, you are overdoing it. I do about 10-15 minutes of warmup before I get started on what I'm working on. Thats each exercise, ~2x through, at two or three different tempos.

If you are doing this much work and not seeing results, you are simply going through the motions of practicing and not using your practice time to critically analyse your playing and improve! The purpose of running exercises is to warmup and check your technique/tone.

There are more important things to spend 1-2 hours of your time doing than running exercises.

I agree!. IMO, you are overdoing it. I do about 10-15 minutes of warmup before I get started on what I'm working on. Thats each exercise, ~2x through, at two or three different tempos.

If you are doing this much work and not seeing results, you are simply going through the motions of practicing and not using your practice time to critically analyse your playing and improve! The purpose of running exercises is to warmup and check your technique/tone.

There are more important things to spend 1-2 hours of your time doing than running exercises.

I do check my tech. I do everyday. Aaaaaand. crap. I got distracted and forgot what else I was gonna say.

Back