E-Drum for practice?? td 4k or td 9?

Hey guys i need ur help again.
I have a sonor force 3001, got it tuned right with evans g2 coated, have a couple hhx and a couple k custom cymbals and a paragon china.
I really love my set and it sounds absolutly great and since i guess i wont become a real professional i guess this will be my kit for the next years.

But...I'm 20 now and i will move out for college, and i am pretty sure that i wont be able to take my set with me or practice with it there (of course ill keep it for gigs).
But i need somethin to practice, something that can be very quiet.

So i am looking into e-drums, especially the roland v-drums. i played some at a music store a while ago, and they dont feel like real drumsets but for practice they are allright if not perfect in my opinion.

I'm undecided though what i should get.

There is the td 4k which seems quite a good deal. but there is also the td 9, which seems to have more features etc.
I can spend up to 1500 Euros on the e-drum kit.
So my question is...is the td 9 worth the couple hundred euros it is more expensive or should i get the td 4k since its basically just for practice?

I should think that the TD9 would feel and sound more realistic. I guess it's up to you whether you think it's worth the extra money. What else were you planning on spending it on?

Always a tricky one. I've just moved up from TD6 to TD12. It is my only kit. I bought the TD12 used at £1400, which is only just outside your price range. So have you thought about buying used? I would have thought the TD4 would be fine for what you are describing. The TD9 used would also be a good bet.

Cheers
Davo

However, you could be tempted by the TD9 if you go to www.vexpressionsltd.com and see all the kits that you can download for the TD9. This includes Sonor kits. I've downloaded loads of kits for my old TD6 and my latest TD12 and they are phenomenal.

Peace
Davo

No not at all. Vexpressions do not attempt to upgrade the module or the standard kits. They offer new kits that you can midi download into your module. They do models from TD6 upwards. For my TD12 there is a massive range of kits including acoustic, studio, gigging, famous drummer's kits etc. For each of these categories they have approx 50 drum kits.

So for me, there is about say 10 of the standard TD12 kits I like. I have saved all the standard kits, then imported a tranche of 50 ki ts. Played them for a while and picked my favs. Then overwrite these with another 50 kits and do the same. At the end you then can make up a composite list of your fav kits, reorder them, save them to your PC and then midi transfer to the TD12 using their recommended software Vdrumlib.

I currently have a mix of master series, exotic and standard kits on my Td12 module. It's all backed up and changing the kits around is easy.

Cheers
Davo

Hey guys i need ur help again.
I have a sonor force 3001, got it tuned right with evans g2 coated, have a couple hhx and a couple k custom cymbals and a paragon china.
I really love my set and it sounds absolutly great and since i guess i wont become a real professional i guess this will be my kit for the next years.

But...I'm 20 now and i will move out for college, and i am pretty sure that i wont be able to take my set with me or practice with it there (of course ill keep it for gigs).
But i need somethin to practice, something that can be very quiet.

So i am looking into e-drums, especially the roland v-drums. i played some at a music store a while ago, and they dont feel like real drumsets but for practice they are allright if not perfect in my opinion.

I'm undecided though what i should get.

There is the td 4k which seems quite a good deal. but there is also the td 9, which seems to have more features etc.
I can spend up to 1500 Euros on the e-drum kit.
So my question is...is the td 9 worth the couple hundred euros it is more expensive or should i get the td 4k since its basically just for practice?

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-TD9SX-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=491359#new

get the td-9 because the mesh heads are way way better than the rubber ones

Buy the cheapest one. You won't get a kit that gives you the perfect feel, so just rather save the money, spend it on your gigging kit and/or buy your girlfriend a nice bracelet

I was in the same boat as you, needed an e-kit for practice and couldn't decide whether to get a td-9 or td-4. I rented a td-9 for 2 months and have to say that it is more flexible in terms of adjusting sounds etc. I've used it live and was really not impressed with it- no e-kit will replace the sound and feel of a quality acoustic set. I recently bought the td-4 and couldn't be happier with it. It has a mesh snare pad and all of the 'coach' and metronome features you could want. I also really like the quick adjustment buttons for tuning and muffling on the front of the unit (saves you from routing through menus to do it).

To sum up, if you're using it for practice I would save your coin and get the td-4. Spend the difference on your acoustic kit for when you play live.

And as always- nothing beats going to the store and spending a significant amount of time demoing each to make sure it's right for you.

Back