Buying new drum kit - mid-range price

xqt

Hello guys, I'm new here and I'd like to ask you for advice

I'm buying new drumkit in few days but I'm still not sure about what should I go for

For me kick drum and snare is most important thing and I wanna get similar sound of kick like Chad Smith in record Blood Sugar Sex Magik for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8mnPtldtck

I want something in mid-range price so there are some candidates: Pearl Vision VBL (100% birch), Tama Silverstar (100% birch), Gretsch Catalina Maple (100% maple)

I'm definitely Pearl guy but in this mid-range kits I think Tama is winner, so what do u guys think? Which kit will be closer to that sound?

Re: buying new drum kit

I would go with the Tama or the Gretsch over the Vision.
I would probably lean toward the Silverstar.

Maple kicks sound better IMO.

He played an old gretsch kit on that album.

Chasing a "recorded" sound, will drive you nuts. Between not knowing what heads, mics, tuning, etc. were involved, and the fact that a $100K recording studio was used ..... buy whatever kit you want. If anything, I'd focus more on drum sizes, than Vision, Silverstar, or Catalina.​

Do you already have a good set of cymbals? Those are way more important than the drums, because you can't fix bad cymbals. You can make any set of drums sound nice with proper tuning and heads, so I'm not too concerned with what brand of drums you get. Cymbals are a whole 'nother story and budget!

Do you already have a good set of cymbals? Those are way more important than the drums, because you can't fix bad cymbals. You can make any set of drums sound nice with proper tuning and heads, so I'm not too concerned with what brand of drums you get. Cymbals are a whole 'nother story and budget!

^ Amen Brother!
Get the drums you want, don't worry about all that other stuff. Especially if this is your first kit, there's way too many variables in replicating a sound.

I own both maple and birch kits, and depending on what heads you put on 'em, and how you tune 'em, you can get 'em to sound very similar. So it's still a "buy what you want" kinda day.​

Hello guys, I'm new here and I'd like to ask you for advice

I'm buying new drumkit in few days but I'm still not sure about what should I go for

For me kick drum and snare is most important thing and I wanna get similar sound of kick like Chad Smith in record Blood Sugar Sex Magik for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8mnPtldtck

I want something in mid-range price so there are some candidates: Pearl Vision VBL (100% birch), Tama Silverstar (100% birch), Gretsch Catalina Maple (100% maple)

I'm definitely Pearl guy but in this mid-range kits I think Tama is winner, so what do u guys think? Which kit will be closer to that sound?

I think any of those kits would be a great choice that you'd be happy with. But if you're a 'pearl guy' why not stick with the pearl?! I sold my pearl kit and bought a Sonor 3007 a while ago - great maple kit, but I still miss that pearl sound!

I think it is all down to personal preference, you could go for the kit that seems to have the best spec, but if you're not happy with the overall sound when you get it you'll be gutted. Is there any way you'd be able to get down and play any of them?

Here's a checklist that I would use regardless of brand name.

1. Look at the other drum sizes and options. A 12/16/22 kit might be OK right now, but what if you want to expand or shift drum sizes. Do they offer a 24" or 20" bass? 8" or 18" toms? What else is on the menu for snares? Some mid-priced lines are kind of limited in order to save on production costs, so make sure you're OK with what you can get from them now and later.

2. Are they fairly well-built? Even the cheap kits are getting pretty good these days, so obvious goofs and flaws are unacceptable for a midrange kit. Die-cast clawhooks, memory locks, suspension mounts and wood bass drum hoops should be the norm for a mid range kit. Bubbled and warped wraps should be a thing of the past at this point.

3. Is the hardware flexible and comfortable? If you're gigging, you'll spend as much time twisting wingnuts and handling the drums as you will playing them. Mounting hardware should be strong enough to do the job, and simple enough to avoid a "chain of failure". Avoid gimmicks.

4. Will it work with other stuff I have, and if not, am I willing to make the switch to different hardware, pedals and stands. I have found that Tama and Pearl stand parts could be interchanged, as could Ludwig and DW, and Gibraltar made something that fit all of it.

5. Will the company still be around later? This is a little harder, since nobody can really predict what will happen to a specific brand, but the major players are still a safer bet than "Joe Blow's Super-Bitchen' Discount Drum Co."

6. How do they sound? How do they feel while making that sound? Am I having a nice time playing these drums? Do I want to risk my rent this month and buy the kit this instant? This one is subjective. The sound and feel is up to you, and not every shop can let you have a go at the drums. You have stated a basic idea with Chad Smith's BSSM sound, but getting that is more than just the kit. You have to dig up his methods and preferences for tuning, muffling, heads and so forth. It's in interviews and magazine articles. Happy hunting.

Beyond that, it becomes more a matter of your personal taste, and I can't help you with that. That's all you.

Stuff I don't worry about: Heads, stands, pedals or included cymbals. The heads seldom hang around for long, assuming I didn't just put my personal favorites on from the get-go. Stands are a nice bonus if they are well-built and functional, but pro-level stuff is pretty accessible, and I usually have that going before I get anywhere near new tubs. For me the DW 5000 was tip-top when I started buying my own drums in the mid-90s, and it came in around a hundred bucks, so no need to skimp on good pedals. Most included cymbals would be better off as hubcaps or barbecue lids, but you said you were OK in the cymbals department, so no worries.

I hope I'm helping.

yea thanks guys for ur opinion, it rly helped me at my decision, I couldn't try any of those kits in store so I decided only from youtube demos etc. but I decided to go with Gretsch Catalina Maple, this one http://www.thomann.de/gb/media_bdbviewer_AR_245848.html?image=9 sizes 22",10",12",14",16" + 14" exactly what I wanted but they're without hw so Im gonna buy Pearl 900 series hardware pack, I had chance to try only pedal and it rly fits me, and I think Pearl makes excellent hw so I don't worry about this, and cymbals I liked Anatolian Baris they are pretty decent for that price later then I'd like to buy Zildjian K Custom or Sabian AA/AAX :)

Last edited:
...... for that price later then I'd like to buy Zildjian K Custom or Sabian AA/AAX :)

So this is where the real expense starts. Cymbals..... which is why Bo asked you. Always save plenty of cash for your cymbals.

Back