Utter madness!

Andy

Honorary Member
Ok, thought I'd open this up just before I leave for the studio. It's just dawned on me this morning what a crazy recording schedule we're shooting for. Everyone involved thinks it's doable - I'm not so sure.

Here's the schedule:

Distance mic/room sound recording -

10 snare drums. Performance at med, med/high, & high tunings - so 30 tracking takes

Close mic recording -

Snares on kit. Performance using one tuning - so 10 tracking takes using 3 artists

Opening artist performance - 3 artists - 3 tracking takes

That's a total of 43 takes, all with video, all snares requiring retuning to exact frequencies (for comparison purposes) between each of the three takes, kit performances requiring 3 different tunings & two complete head changes.

ALL THIS IN ONE DAY! (+Drummer magazine want to do a roving cam "behind the scenes" video report & interview!)

2nd day will be edit. This is a complexed session to say the least. Big pressure on me to tune up in record time, & as these are totally natural recordings, no opportunity to "fix" things = nowhere to hide. At least there's no processing / mastering to contend with. It is what it is. That helps a bit!

I'm clearly either totally mad or utterly deluded - probably both ;)

Expect to get video up by this coming weekend (with luck). Away for 3 days now. Studio is 3 hours drive away, & I need to get the drums setup in time to shoot early tomorrow.

Get a Tunebot and an assistant.
The Tune-bot, to some extent, takes the skill out of tuning and its easier to get help.
Oh dear I opened a can of worms -)

thx

jorn

Sounds like it's on the very edge of what is humanly doable - or slightly beyond.
Good luck! ;-)

Get a Tunebot and an assistant.
The Tune-bot, to some extent, takes the skill out of tuning and its easier to get help.
Oh dear I opened a can of worms -)

thx

jorn
Jorn, I am using a Tunebot. Not to carry the main bulk of tuning, but to check precise lug frequencies. We intend to publish the lug frequencies. To speed things up, we'll be keeping the reso head pretty cranked (400Hz), & just changing the batter frequencies across three bands (318Hz, 356Hz, & 380Hz). All drums will be tuned the same, irrespective of size or type. This means we're risking not hitting the very best tuning for each drum, but it does give the listener a superb reference point. That said, it will display the flexibility of these instruments. We're using G1 coated over Hazy 300 for all drums, that's why we're not doing a low & "phat" tuning. That would entail yet another head change. There's so much to do, I had to put a line in the sand somewhere.

This session encompasses the suggestions made by members here & our customers. Of course, everyone would like to see something different, but our budget is limited.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.

Looking forward to seeing / hearing the vid.

Enjoy the session!

That does sound like a VERY busy day!

Good luck with it!

Hope we will be able to hear the results sometime soon.

I'm sorry.....

You can.....TUNE.....drums ???

Oh....

:)
No, I'm fooling myself :)

Enjoy the session!
Enjoyment is on the edge of stress = subjective :)

That does sound like a VERY busy day!

Good luck with it!

Hope we will be able to hear the results sometime soon.
hopefully, I'll have the video out this weekend, but I smell severe slippage. If we don't get the edit finished Thursday, it will have to be finished off remotely by the video company. That takes time, & is less than ideal TBH. I'll be doing everything I can to avoid that.

I'm just waiting for the last two snare shells to be delivered here. Once they arrive (if), I'll have to build them. My other concern is that these shells were only bent last week, & lathed yesterday, that means they're nowhere near their sonic potential :( Oh well, get on with it Andy!

Sounds like it's on the very edge of what is humanly doable - or slightly beyond.
Good luck! ;-)

^^^^^what he said.

Good luck Andy, hope you can enjoy it in between the chaos.

BTW who put that schedule together?

It's utter madness... definitely, but I'd love to be as busy as you are Andy, within drums related schedules, of course, I always told you, I envy your position to have things to do which are drums related day in, day out... Like you, I love drums enough to be buried in it to my neck... maybe one day.

Bottom line: You're not mad at all... you're simply being yourself and loving it, enjoy it :)

Jorn, I am using a Tunebot. Not to carry the main bulk of tuning, but to check precise lug frequencies. We intend to publish the lug frequencies. To speed things up, we'll be keeping the reso head pretty cranked (400Hz), & just changing the batter frequencies across three bands (318Hz, 356Hz, & 380Hz). All drums will be tuned the same, irrespective of size or type. This means we're risking not hitting the very best tuning for each drum, but it does give the listener a superb reference point. That said, it will display the flexibility of these instruments. We're using G1 coated over Hazy 300 for all drums, that's why we're not doing a low & "phat" tuning. That would entail yet another head change. There's so much to do, I had to put a line in the sand somewhere.

This session encompasses the suggestions made by members here & our customers. Of course, everyone would like to see something different, but our budget is limited.

Thanks Andy.

The best of luck with your project. All of us will be waiting for the videos!

Yeah, I'll be eagerly awaiting the videos as well. Quite the ambitious schedule for sure. Given the time constraints that you're under, it sounds like a well thought out game plan. Good luck!

Sounds like you may have a little less hair,than you want into the studio with Andy.That sounds like a handfull for anyone,let alone someone with your admirable skills..

You're not only a drummer,but the designer and builder as well.I know about the extra expence involved, but prehaps taking 1 extra day will yield better results.Just a thought.

Best of luck mate.Either way,you'll make it work.

Steve B

One word: Triggers

Thinking the unthinkable,
8Mile

One word: Triggers

Thinking the unthinkable,
8Mile
&^£*^&%*&^(*^&^$%^$*&%)U^*)%&^off!!!!!!!! (sorry Arky ;) JK Larry:)

Thanks for the support & levity to cheer me up. Appreciated. I'll tell you all about this when I get back, but just as I thought things were coming together, another major curved ball is delivered. As you all may have gathered, I've not left out for the studio yet (currently 4 hours late & counting). Aw man, somebody give me a break!

Andy, no prob. I think both of my eyes have turned blind towards that stuff during the last few days... call it accelerated therapy, haha.

Back