Any big name drummers do something to rub you the wrong way?

edvia

I'll give you an example. This was way back in the mid 90s when I was living in Oregon. I went to a local music store to see John "JR" Robinson giving a clinic. During the Q&A after he was done playing, some parents of a young would-be drummer asked his opinion of what would be a good set for him to get started on. Back then, JR was a Pearl endorsee, so of course it's to be expected that he'd mention a Pearl kit, like a set of Imports or something. But all of a sudden he went on a big sales pitch for a Masters Custom kit like the one he was playing on... for a kid who looked to be 10 or 12 and from what I understood, hadn't even started playing yet. What an ass! Here are some parents asking for some honest advice, and he's acting like a used car salesman trying to get them to spend thousands on a top-of-the-line pro kit. That really irked me back then, and obviously, I've never forgotten it. So when I went to the DrummerWorld home page just now and saw a video of his at the top, I couldn't help but to start this thread to vent a bit, and to see if anyone else has any similar stories.

As a pro drum tech ... no, all of the guys i ( we) service a the opposite.
As a parent to & as an ex owner of a music store, your right that attitude so sucks.

Simon

I guess when you ask clinicians questions way below their pay grade, you're going to get all kinds of unsatisfactory answers. This reminds me of the time Bob Berg and Mike Stern were playing at my school; in the clinic an ed major, having no idea who they were, invited them to “tell a little something about themselves” during the Q&A. Berg told him to read his printed bio included in the program, and commented “It's not a stupid question; it's just stupid for us to answer it.”

Quite the opposite, the only year I was in UTA drumline (1981), we had Dennis Delucia come do a clinic with us. The guy was fantastic - not only drum-wise, as expected, but an all around great guy. Just a really cool cat who carried himself well and acted like a true professional. During the clinic he was all business, but on breaks and afterwards he was a cut up like the rest of us.

I had forgotten that until your post.

I think it boils down to drummers who are educators versus those who aren't. Educators are accustomed to answering all sorts of questions while many of the top pros who don't have experience teaching are caught off-guard or don't feel like they need to be especially accommodating.

Well remember that he may have been required to do a sales pitch and while it was still inappropriate, it was an opportunity to do what his contract might require him to do.

Well remember that he may have been required to do a sales pitch and while it was still inappropriate, it was an opportunity to do what his contract might require him to do.

I can totally see him pitching Pearl drums, just not these drums for this particular instance. Perhaps a better way of handing the situation would have been to suggest a set of Imports or Forums or something along those lines, but then go on to say that as he progressed, he could move up the ladder and then go on to explain how Masters Customs would be the ultimate goal as a professional or experienced drummer. That I would have been totally cool with. But the way he handled it, with no empathy toward providing the parents with an appropriate or even realistic answer, still peeves me to this day (obviously, since I created this thread). It's one thing to promote the products you endorse, but it's something else entirely to WAY oversell to the point of acting like a used car salesman.

Maybe it was a set up. And they were "mystery shoppers" from Pearl sent to test if he would talk up the drums they gave him. He saw though the ruse and gave them the spiel.

I don't begrudge any working/touring pro an occasional bad day. It's a hard life, and trying to make a few extra bucks sitting in a music store answering stupid questions like "how do you play so fast?" can wear one down.

No doubt there are egomaniac head cases out there. But most working folks I've had the occasion to hang with outside of public appearances are totally cool. Even ones with typically chilly public personas.

At a Neville Brothers show, Willie Green was playing an electric kit! Ruined it for me, definitely rubbed me the wrong way.

I can totally see him pitching Pearl drums, just not these drums for this particular instance. Perhaps a better way of handing the situation would have been to suggest a set of Imports or Forums or something along those lines, but then go on to say that as he progressed, he could move up the ladder and then go on to explain how Masters Customs would be the ultimate goal as a professional or experienced drummer. That I would have been totally cool with. But the way he handled it, with no empathy toward providing the parents with an appropriate or even realistic answer, still peeves me to this day (obviously, since I created this thread). It's one thing to promote the products you endorse, but it's something else entirely to WAY oversell to the point of acting like a used car salesman.

Other thing to keep in mind is: Yes he was representing Pearl but he is not a sales person and probably isn't well versed in all the lines, let alone the price points. he was there for his expertise in playing, not his ability to sell drums.

Other thing to keep in mind is: Yes he was representing Pearl but he is not a sales person and probably isn't well versed in all the lines, let alone the price points. he was there for his expertise in playing, not his ability to sell drums.

Exactly my thoughts.

Was he even aware of the retail price or that there were cheaper lines available? Who says he had much experience with either? JR doesn't strike me as the calibre of player that has to walk into a retail store and haggle for a deal.

Opened up for Grand Funk a couple of years ago,waited backstage for them to finish their set. I wanted to have Don Brewer sign a GFR T-shirt I paid $30.00 for. I loved GFR when I was younger and always liked Don's drumming.

He came into the dressing room and on the way out the door I asked him if he would sign my shirt, he did make a weak effort and said the pen won't work and just walk out of the room. Lost total respect for the guy that day. By the way the rest of the band could not have been nicer.

On the flip side, Todd Sucherman is a real class act.

Last edited:
I wrote Vinnie Appice a fan letter back in the early 80's and he never wrote me back. I was so bummed out.

I first saw Rush live in 1989......when they played YYZ Neils kit spun around and he played some weak ass solo on an electric kit

I was 15 and disappointed ....and quite frankly rubbed the wrong way

I wasn't really a Rush fan at all....but I was a drummer and at least wanted to see this guy I had heard about for years do something to impress this young gentleman up in the nosebleeds

I had heard the Exit Stage Left version for years that rubbed me in a more pleasant way

:)

I've come across many no-name or small time drummers that offend me in some way, but can only think of one celeb drummer who was needlessly rude: Joey Kramer of Aerosmith. It was in a few situations where he should have just been normal, just one of the guys, and not on. I later asked a few people in the know about him, and they said that he's 1) a star, and 2) fried. Still no excuse, although it does kinda explain the title of his book, "Hit Hard". I suppose so.

Normally, the bigger they are, the nicer they are. But Joey is a real exception. I still joke about it with the people involved, but it's really not funny. If I ever get that way, please shoot me.

Bermuda

Mike Portnoy at a clinic. Spent the first 10 minutes complaining about the gear that didn't show up for the clinic that was supposed to be there (not sure what else he needed, looked like the identical kit that he was using on tour at the time. this was back after the Awake album) then in the middle of the clinic started a bash session on Tommy Lee, Lars Ulrich and a few others. Then tore into Rush bad mouthing them for them not blessing the 2112 project he put together, recorded and finished without any input from Rush then expected them to give praise and their blessing.

After that night didn't care if I ever heard him play again, lost any and all respect I had for him!! Total arrogant, self absorbed clown!

I see your point, but I don't buy it. Even if he didn't know how much those drums are worth (which, I suppose, is entirely possible), as a professional drummer, you know what professional-level gear is vs. entry-level gear. And you know that pro gear is a LOT more expensive. So even if he didn't know the price points, there's no way he wouldn't have known that he was recommending an expensive high-end kit for a beginner.

Mike Portnoy at a clinic. Spent the first 10 minutes complaining about the gear that didn't show up for the clinic that was supposed to be there (not sure what else he needed, looked like the identical kit that he was using on tour at the time. this was back after the Awake album) then in the middle of the clinic started a bash session on Tommy Lee, Lars Ulrich and a few others. Then tore into Rush bad mouthing them for them not blessing the 2112 project he put together, recorded and finished without any input from Rush then expected them to give praise and their blessing.

After that night didn't care if I ever heard him play again, lost any and all respect I had for him!! Total arrogant, self absorbed clown!

Yeah, I pretty much have the same feelings toward Portnoy. I happen to own a 7" Sabian Mike Portnoy Max Splash, which I actually found a while back (hence it's my only non-Zildjian cymbal). Just last week I discovered a small crack in it, so now it's only a matter of time before it goes. I love the sound and 7" size (which unfortunately Zildjian doesn't make), as I have it inverted over my 17" crash and that size seems to "fit" it perfectly. So I'm tempted to just buy another one, but I really hate the thought of Portnoy getting any proceeds or royalties out of it. So now I'm pondering my options – perhaps a 7" Weckl HHX Evolution?

Well...I'm sure most of "us" drummers who want the spotlight would tremble at the thought of OUR names being brought into this... but ya know what?! ...if they did rub you wrong...teach those guys a lesson in manners ...here...with your words and your passion...

MY biggest "WTF" ..was at namm 2007... I had JUST broken a WFD world record...and I was flying so high...running around namm headhunting any familiar famous face I could find...and I bump into.... (drum roll please)

CARMINE APPICE!!!

Well... of course I want to meet him...and talk...even if only for a min so he knows I exist!!! ....well..In the first 5 seconds of "hey youre carmen! how are you!? " ...he replied..."good good...but gimmie a sec" ...he then... proceeds to stroke his powerstache...and then take pictures,...of HIMSELF...with his cell phone...while im on his glorious pause button...made me feel 2 inches high... but let me tell you Carmen...legend or not... your attitude sucked and your drumming is NOW mediocre at best...so sleep tight with your moustache and limos a$$hole. :)

Love Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only some of the ones that are brought to my attention on such boards as these. I really don't have favorites, at least favorites that are alive, to have to worry about their rampages, lol.

Dennis

Back