Removing Wrap on Ludwig Classic Maples

jrasia

Long time listener, first time caller.

I have a circa 2007 CM that I would like to try and convert over to a 'natural maple' finish.

Has anyone successfully removed the wrap from the more modern Ludwig Classic Maples? Was it difficult? Anything I should be aware of besides the usual precautions when removing drum wrap? I'm curious about the quality and finish of the underlying maple once all the glue is removed.

Thanks!

The outer ply of maple,may NOT have a clear grain structure or match the other shells in color,which is why it was selected to be wrapped,instead of natural maple or stained.

It's really a crap shoot as to whether this will work out.Unless I really hated the wrap,I'd leave well enough alone.

Steve B

And I've heard those wraps (at least the cortex wraps from the older Ludwigs) are glued on with some ridiculously tenacious glue.

The warp is the newer black oyster pearl finish, not the the much more classy looking vintage black oyster pearl unfortunately. Got them for a steal so I can't complain. I got a set of natural maples as well in different sizes and was hoping to 'combine' them into one set aesthetically. Oh well, not a biggie.

Back