Value this kit: 1st gen. Sonor S class

Thunderstix

I found a first generation Sonor S class that you can check here. The shell set is in excellent condition though the natural finish is closer to Force 3K than S classix. The sizes are 10-12-14-20.

In the late nineties it ran for around $ 2000, see here. How much is it worth today?

One thing that bothers me are the carbon bass drum hoops. They're black and contrast the kit strongly, which looks quite amateurish for today's standards. How can I replace them with matching wood hoops, if at all possible?

in excellent condition? if it sounded good then it would be worth money. i would try to get it for maybe $1400.
not that i would personally buy one myself.

some drum kits hold their value. i'd definitely never buy one blind.

in excellent condition? if it sounded good then it would be worth money. i would try to get it for maybe $1400.
not that i would personally buy one myself.

some drum kits hold their value. i'd definitely never buy one blind.

I've seen it, it's in excellent condition. The carbon bass hoops, the screwdriver bolts and he overengeneered hardware didn't seduce me.

I'd rather look for a 3rd or 4th gen. kit. Chances to find one are slim.

yeah i really haven't seen too many S class kits for sale used, but i don't doubt that they are out there. is it just for the shells? or hardware included too?

In the late nineties it ran for around $ 2000, see here. How much is it worth today?

One thing that bothers me are the carbon bass drum hoops. They're black and contrast the kit strongly, which looks quite amateurish for today's standards. How can I replace them with matching wood hoops, if at all possible?

Those were LIST prices, not what one would of paid. DrumsOnSale sold those for 50% off of that, brand new. In GC or whatever store they would of been a little more, of course. Current value??, that is difficult, and everyone is just giving their opinion.

Offer $500. Offer $600. Offer $700. Who knows. ... See what happens.

By the way, despite the kick hoops, those were the best S-Class shells made, and much more of "Sonor" classic design.

The seller said the same thing. Why is that? He hints that the newer models are made in China and only finished in Germany. I don't know if that's true.

I can order wood hoops in natural finish from the Force 3K series.

Those shells were medium to thick, and made in Germany. They just have a more "Sonor" sound to them, IMO. Since those, they have been in and out of china/finished in Germany, now the Classix is total german, BUT, they are really thin. Your shells sound much better IMO.

Those shells were medium to thick, and made in Germany. They just have a more "Sonor" sound to them, IMO. Since those, they have been in and out of china/finished in Germany, now the Classix is total german, BUT, they are really thin. Your shells sound much better IMO.

Despite the lacking tone, manufacturers keep putting out thin shells and people go around buying these inferior sounding drums. Go figure.

Despite the lacking tone, manufacturers keep putting out thin shells and people go around buying these inferior sounding drums. Go figure.

Well, the tone is'nt really "lacking", but just a different character. Almost all major drum brands sound good enough, so the public just buys what the trends are.

But remember, almost all the drum mfg's with the MOST experience in building their product from the ground up, currently have their TOP LINE product with either thick, or medium-thick shells. Hmmmm?

Back