musician's earplugs?

lovemysonors

i've heard these are great, but also close to $300.

any feedback on having them? worth it? other options?

the $20 Hearos suck as much as the foam ones.

If you have tenitis or are practicing with an absurdly loud band i'd just say use earmuffs over foam plugs. Go down to your pharmacy and just get the value pack foam plugs then go to WalMart sporting goods section and grab a pair of "Silencio" earmuffs (for target shooting). The combination will provide way more protection than "musician earplugs"

They're useful if you're playing with bands. If you're just practicing on your own, normal foam ones are the best.

If you're playing music, and you don't want ear plugs that cut frequencies unevenly jump on a pair of these. They cut tones across the spectrum evenly, so that you'll be able to hear an accurate representation of the music you're playing. Especially good if you sing.

I have those hearos with the rubber circle things and that stem in it and they are awesome. They like $15 check em out, they aren't foam.

My first pair cost me $150 and worked wonderfully for five years. I just replaced them (they are still in good shape, I just wanted an additional pair) for $175. Shop around. They sound great and I wear them whenever I play live or alone and at loud concerts. I walked out of the most recent Metallica and Tool shows with no ringing and I heard perfectly.

I'd say get them. They are the best music-related money I've ever spent.

They're useful if you're playing with bands. If you're just practicing on your own, normal foam ones are the best.

They're always useful. Musicians' plugs give an accurate representation of the kit's sound, whereas foam plugs diminish the higher frequencies, causing you to lay into the cymbals more heavily. If you always practice with such a distorted sound image, your playing will start leaning towards cymbal-heavy playing.

Ah. True.

I was trying to make the point that they weren't as necessary when running exercises round the kit, but you've made a good point.

What is it about the foam hearos earplugs that you hate? I love 'em. They're cheap and they work really well. You've just gotta make sure you get the higher rated ones. From what I know the highest ones they have are the blue ones which are NRR 32.

I have a set. They are OK in a low volume setting. I use them if I'm playing a jazz set, or in an orchestra, etc. But when it comes to loud, rock bands, or when I'm practicing full out, I prefer to use foam.

What is it about the foam hearos earplugs that you hate? I love 'em. They're cheap and they work really well. You've just gotta make sure you get the higher rated ones. From what I know the highest ones they have are the blue ones which are NRR 32.
i don't have the foam Hearos but i don't like foam earplugs because they block out too much sound and the Hearos i have (plastic inserts) don't seem much different from foams...the Hearos i have are white/blue and about $20....

My wife found a website called something like earprotection.com that has many styles at low prices. I got a couple of varieties of soft rubber plugs held by strings. You can hear everything around you but they cut off the really high frequencies that hurt your ears.

Back