Small gigs with a TD-9 ?

aydee

Platinum Member

Just been asked to sub at a gig in very small club, this weekend. Upright bass, guitar/singer and another guitar. A small jazz kit would be ideal but I dont own one. My first thought is to just take my 22" kick, snare, hihat, and a ride, but then I thought what if I took my TD-9 instead?

I have a small Roland wedge to power it. It makes me nervous because I know E-drums always sound sucky live ( ...to me anyways.. ), but maybe with a real small, soft group, I'd be ok with it.

The very idea of a 22" kick in that setting is scaring me.

Any thoughts?

I used my TD10 live all the time, and the musicians loved it because it wasn't blowing them off of the stage. Sound guys love them because all you do is plug in one cord, two if you want to have stereo. They have a small foot print, and I think they sound better than a lot of crappy house kits that don't get taken care of. Plus you can play your brains out if you want and not have to worry about being too loud. Just make sure you have a good mix of you and the band. Have fun. You might find you will use them more often.

I used my TD10 live all the time, and the musicians loved it because it wasn't blowing them off of the stage. Sound guys love them because all you do is plug in one cord, two if you want to have stereo. They have a small foot print, and I think they sound better than a lot of crappy house kits that don't get taken care of. Plus you can play your brains out if you want and not have to worry about being too loud. Just make sure you have a good mix of you and the band. Have fun. You might find you will use them more often.

How do you like your cymbals ? and the hi hat? Do you also eq your kit ( in the brain ) at the venue or is that done by the house mix?

How do you like your cymbals ? and the hi hat? Do you also eq your kit ( in the brain ) at the venue or is that done by the house mix?

Cymbals are always the weakest part of the electronic equation. If you do a lot of cymbal tinkering, then you might find them frustrating. If you are crashing them then they sound like any other doctored cymbal on a cd. Again, control of how loud they are is the great part.

As far as EQ. I have my patches in my sound module, sounding the way I like on the headphones. When I get to the venue it is up to the sound guy to make it right for the room. Now if he wants your help, then you have an infinite amount of variables that you can set on your module, with an acoustic kit you are pretty much stuck with what you brought.

Back