Joey Castillo

Mdrummer

Hi,
I couldn't find any thread about this (for me) incredible drummer, so i started one.
I really like his hard hitting, simple playing with QOTSA!
So what do you guys think about him?
Please send as many as you can pictures of him!!
Thnx!!!

Queens is without doubt my favortite band, and has been for over 3 years, since I first got to know them.
Frankly, I find Joey really fits the band. And he certainly has the looks of a mean mexican kick ass drummer too. The one thing that bothers me, in his - apart from that perfect playing - is that he always seems to speed up songs. (check over the years and through the woods if you don't believe mee) This sometimes seems to make it difficult for josh to put up a decent solo or vocal line. But I noticed he only does this with the songs he didn't wrote himself. For instance: go with the flow, no one knows (indeed especially the songs for the deaf songs). I saw queens live at the Werchter festival about a week ago and they played very tight there. Castillo didn't speed up too much, and not even a bit with the Era Vulgaris songs.
So I guess Castillo is a very good drummer, who has written some great rythms (lullabies to paralyze, or e.g. Run, Pig, Run on the new Era Vulgaris. He is one of my favorite drummers for sure. But after hearing queens with Dave... Who could ever want something else.

Apart from queens I know that Joey also played with Danzig for a while. I don't know for how long (anybody?), but I think he was there on I.Lucifer. [wicked pussycat,...] Great band too, especially the classics like Mother and She Rides the Night, if you haven't heard of them, than certainly check them out.

cheers.

Last edited:
Queens is without doubt my favortite band, and has been for over 3 years, since I first got to know them.
Frankly, I find Joey really fits the band. And he certainly has the looks of a mean mexican kick ass drummer too. The one thing that bothers me, in his - apart from that perfect playing - is that he always seems to speed up songs. (check over the years and through the woods if you don't believe mee) This sometimes seems to make it difficult for josh to put up a decent solo or vocal line. But I noticed he only does this with the songs he didn't wrote himself. For instance: go with the flow, no one knows (indeed especially the songs for the deaf songs). I saw queens live at the Werchter festival about a week ago and they played very tight there. Castillo didn't speed up too much, and not even a bit with the Era Vulgaris songs.
So I guess Castillo is a very good drummer, who has written some great rythms (lullabies to paralyze, or e.g. Run, Pig, Run on the new Era Vulgaris. He is one of my favorite drummers for sure. But after hearing queens with Dave... Who could ever want something else.

Apart from queens I know that Joey also played with Danzig for a while. I don't know for how long (anybody?), but I think he was there on I.Lucifer. [wicked pussycat,...] Great band too, especially the classics like Mother and She Rides the Night, if you haven't heard of them, than certainly check them out.

cheers.

Thank you for informations, I didn't know about his speed ups, I never see QOTSA live, but I like his simple and hard playing.
I'm a huge fan of Danzig, but only fan of early work with Chuck Biscuits on drums.

ya i love the guy his drumming is so simple and he is just as good if not better than dave grohl(and i worship dave) also his drums are beautiful on stage

ya i love the guy his drumming is so simple and he is just as good if not better than dave grohl(and i worship dave) also his drums are beautiful on stage

ho ho ho... you can say a lot about joey, I fully respect him and like his playing, but no mather how you turn it, he is NOT better than dave man... no one is. His playing just isn't as brilliantly invented as daves. proof = compare Songs for The Deaf to Era Vulgaris. Joey always plays straightforward and on the beat, but some of the drumpieces of era vulgaris are a bit too simple I think. Groovy indeed... but it may have been a little more imo. Allthough I find run, pig, run (one of the best songs on the album) a great drumbeat and I love to play it to. anyway... this is Joeys thread so .. :)

yeah, he recorded with them as well, according to some of their youtube updates before the album release. I wonder what brand they are, I'm pretty sure DW don't do acrylics, do they?

yeah, he recorded with them as well, according to some of their youtube updates before the album release. I wonder what brand they are, I'm pretty sure DW don't do acrylics, do they?

No, they don't so acrylic kits. They did whip one up using someone else's shells for Tommy Lee for that Rockstar Supernova thing though.

Joey with his acrylic drums and zildjians:
img1457mf4.jpg

img1455vz4.jpg

img1458ed0.jpg

(Sorry for the crappy quality but I couldn't save the video, so I had to take pictures of my screen...)

Just got the new rhythm today. There's an interview with him in there. The acrylics are OCDP shells with DW everything else.

ho ho ho... you can say a lot about joey, I fully respect him and like his playing, but no mather how you turn it, he is NOT better than dave man... no one is. His playing just isn't as brilliantly invented as daves. proof = compare Songs for The Deaf to Era Vulgaris. Joey always plays straightforward and on the beat, but some of the drumpieces of era vulgaris are a bit too simple I think. Groovy indeed... but it may have been a little more imo. Allthough I find run, pig, run (one of the best songs on the album) a great drumbeat and I love to play it to. anyway... this is Joeys thread so .. :)

hey man i know he will never be better than dave i said he is just as good not better dave is still the better of the two and i am a huge fan of dave (going to see foos again this august).and i saw queens recently and those drums are amazing there miced so wel the bass could litreally restart your heart if it failed

Hi,
I couldn't find any thread about this (for me) incredible drummer, so i started one.
I really like his hard hitting, simple playing with QOTSA!
So what do you guys think about him?
Please send as many as you can pictures of him!!
Thnx!!![/QUOTE

He'll never the same as Dave but he's just as good, imo. He can play just as loud as John Bonham and still make it groove. His drums sound, simply put, tough. He ranks up as one of my favorites but I won't mention the others since this topic is Joey Castillo.

Yeah I really like Joey. He does play songs fast live but judging Josh's attitude to music and his band im sure if he wanted him to play slower he would make it very clear to him.

I was shocked about his change to Zildjian. They sound nice the crashes aren't as good as his Paiste!

Back