Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Wonder what genre this guy plays?

attachment.php

Remo Belli
Jazz

We should plot out the bass drum sizes of a good sample size of non-custom shell-packs on the market in the past 10 years. I have a feeling that many drummers out there are playing a 22" bass drum because that's what came with their kit... (a category I fall into)

I suppose I somewhat fall into that category. I had to settle for a 12" rack tom in order to get a 24" kick. I got the kick I wanted but a dinky rack tom. I suppose it has grown on me over the years though.

Probably best not to add Remo's big bass drum. At a guesstimation of 120" it would have skewed the jazz result to an average of about 29" :)

Those shell packs really have made their mark - 46% of all bass drums listed so far are 22".

I own:

2 22" bass drums. One in a playable condition, played every now and then.
A 16" bass drum - played occasionally.
A 20" bass drum. This is my 'main' drum.

What kind of music I play? Ostensibly 'Rock' but I dabble in other styles and am irritatingly fickle.

So 50% of my bass drums are 22". Of the 'playable' drums, I'm down to 33%. If we take that 33% rather than the 50% then my average size is 19.3 (recurring) inches. In terms of playing time over the last 12 months then it's more like 18.8 - the 22" hasn't been played much since January and I've been playing the 20" since May.

Hopefully I'll mess up all the statistics.

I own:

2 22" bass drums. One in a playable condition, played every now and then.
A 16" bass drum - played occasionally.
A 20" bass drum. This is my 'main' drum.

What kind of music I play? Ostensibly 'Rock' but I dabble in other styles and am irritatingly fickle.

So 50% of my bass drums are 22". Of the 'playable' drums, I'm down to 33%. If we take that 33% rather than the 50% then my average size is 19.3 (recurring) inches. In terms of playing time over the last 12 months then it's more like 18.8 - the 22" hasn't been played much since January and I've been playing the 20" since May.

Hopefully I'll mess up all the statistics.

20", rock. Thank you, Duncan ;-)

Just thinking, I would have expected more funk and fusion but maybe they are more often secondary genres? Would have expected more pop too.

Hmm, 22.64 average for rock/loud. This perhaps grants some credibility to John Good's 23" bass drums that were laughed at a few years ago...

I think there may be something to the fact that 22" drums are often the only choice for a given kit, and that is why they are so prolific. I know I played a 22 for years for that very reason, and never really liked it. Went back to the 24 for this latest kit and I much prefer it.

I like small bass drums, as well, but for my current needs the 24 works. One day I'd like to have a second kit, and that one will have either an 18 or 20.

Sorry - unnecessary commentary cluttering the works.

Carry on!!

Current rock average with your BD at 20" would be 22.6363636363636. If adjusted to 18.8" it would be 22.5511111111111. I thought you might like to know that.

I think there may be something to the fact that 22" drums are often the only choice for a given kit, and that is why they are so prolific....!

I could have saved you some trouble, ALP, but you're probably just doing this for fun.

You'll most likely end up with a typical 'bell curve' with 22" at the peak, and sloping off gradually by size in each direction.

Currently, I use mostly 20, followed by 18, but I don't gig.
When I played out ages ago, I used a 22 and played rock. But don't you dare put me down for a 22 - LOL.
20 or nothing.
If you have to pick just one, put me down for 20/rock, or 18/jazz - your choice.

22 was it, wildbill? ;-)

+1 your Bell Curve comment. Below, the first chart includes all genres and the distortion is caused by most jazzers' replying having 18" BDs. When filtered to just include rock, then we have a cleaner curve.

I actually enjoyed my job before retirement - I just disliked getting up to an alarm, commuting, meetings and politicised decision making!

Just to make sure everyone is happy with their representation:

Midnite Zephyr rock 22
IDDrummer rock 24
Gvdadrummasum jazz 20
JayJohnson777 rock 26
Red Menace rock 24
MisterZero rock 22
nirvanadrummer rock 24
leoyucht jazz 18
Anon La Ply lounge 16
Dirtysticks rock 22
AlParrot rock 20
Bonzobilly rock 24
Lunar Satellite Brian metal 22
Caddwumpus world 20
Taye Dyed rock 20
Silverfox experimental 22
Greaser rock 22
Drum-El rock 24
Pocket-full-of-gold rock 22
Evolving Machine jazz 18
Swexx rock 22
keep it simple rock 20
Deathmetalconga lounge 18
sonnygrabber blues 22
xsarith metal 22
swiNg rock 24
gaz farrimond rock 22
dmacc jazz 18
dino68 rock 24
wsabol rock 22
aaajn blues 18
Naigeron rock 24
Scopata rock 22
jamjohn rock 22
MaryO rock 20
KarlCrafton rock 26
Bull metal 26
Gruntersdad rock 22
OrangeAgent27 rock 18
Drumolator rock 18
tamadrm rock 22
Toolate rock 26
Boomstand rock 28
Aeolian blues 18
opentune rock 20
lsits rock 22
HarryConway rock 26
MikeM rock 24
mmulcahy1 rock 22
drumdruid rock 24
Mad About Drums rock 22
slowrocker rock 22
Vegas Island rock 26
NerfLad rock 22
Groove1 jazz 18
Beam Me Up Scotty metal 22
8Mile jazz 18
PQleyR metal 26
Numberless jazz 16
Bad Tempered Clavier rock 22
Trip McNealy rock 22
oldrockdrummer rock 22
RevWrona jazz 18
autonomos rock 22
BacteriumFendYolk rock 20
wildbill rock 20

BTW, where are the funksters? ... the Garibaldi and Chambers disciples? What about the fusioneers?

Jazz ... if someone says they play both rock and jazz I assume that to mean "mostly rock with some jazz or jazzy pop". In my experience serious jazz players (who play full jazz gigs and are accepted as "cats" in jazz circles) generally consider jazz a full time effort and, if they play any rock to make ends meet, they wouldn't mention it in this context.

If you are an exception to this assumption and I've wrongfully lumped you into the rock bag, by all means be a squeaky wheel!

Attachments

• table4-bell-curve.gif
    table4-bell-curve.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 362
Jazz ... if someone says they play both rock and jazz I assume that to mean "mostly rock with some jazz or jazzy pop". In my experience serious jazz players (who play full jazz gigs and are accepted as "cats" in jazz circles) generally consider jazz a full time effort and, if they play any rock to make ends meet, they wouldn't mention it in this context.

If you are an exception to this assumption and I've wrongfully lumped you into the rock bag, by all means be a squeaky wheel!

Approved.

--> What is your main style? (pls choose 1)

Except for this ^^^^. No fair making the rules, and then bitching about them. LOL

Except for this ^^^^. No fair making the rules, and then bitching about them. LOL

Can you imagine the complexity if we added extra parameters? I had a Genre2 columns there just in case but lost interest after the first tables looked like the kind of abstruse nerdiness that drummers may not want to bother with in their free time.

Of course, if payment is on offer, I could provide a proper statistical report with a more thorough questionnaire and analyses :D

You know how it is, BIll ... quit the smokes, increase the bitching. Might make a NY reso. Positive thoughts, positive action! (fantasies about positive results don't work but focused visualisation of particular tasks does, as per the famous basketball penalties experiment).

Back