Felt beaters: EQ Pads needed?

TheIronCobr4

I have a question concerning the nature of EQ Pads being used along side of felt beaters. I ordered a Vater Bomber for my bass drum pedal and I've been wondering if the felt will eliminate the need of impact pads since the Bomber will clearly be better then the plastic side of the DW beaters I typically use. I appreciate any feed back. I'm just looking for a boomier sound out of my bass drum.

You won't wear the head hardly at all with a bomber.

You don't need the patch unless you like the sound when using it.

Ttnw is probably right. The bomber has a large contact surface so I don't think a patch would necessary to curb head indentation.

I use an Evans clear patch regardless of the type of beater I'm using. They're thin enough not to alter the sound drastically and they help to prolong the use of the drum head. The "powder puff" beaters do get flat spots and you'll have to occasionally turn the beater. When a flat spot occurs, the bass drum's batter head is in direct contact with whatever holds all that puffy stuff on the surface of the beater, so it's safe to be on the safe side.

Once in a while I'll use a Vater Bomber on my DW or Renown kits The picture was taken just before I installed the Evans patch and after I realized what damage the beater could possibly do.

DSC_0631.jpg

Dennis

Am I the only one who thinks Dennis should be banned from posting pics because his kits are too clean? I am going to start a "show me your dirty kits (drums only; don't get the wrong idea)" thread, and I don't think he would be able to post. But, I digest.
You are correct about the Evan's patch though. I don't think it alters the sound at all. It is really just a thin ply of head film.

Back