DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 03-17-2018, 09:51 PM

Default Snare for a phat sound

I know this is a widely and old topic of discussion, but to couple with my Pearl CS signature snare (loud, open high crack), I was thinking of getting a deeper snare to couple with a combo that I have been eager to try (P77+Big fat snare drum donut). My options are:
Gretsch 14"x6,5" Silver Series Ash
Pearl SSC 14"x6,5"
Pearl MCT 14"x6,5"
Tama Sound Lab Classic Maple 14''x5,5''
Tama Soundworks Maple 14''x6,5''
What would you say it's the best option in terms of cost/benefit for what I want. Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Snare for a phat sound

To be honest, you don't need a deeper snare for a fatter sound, you just need something like a Big Fat Snare Drum accessory.

I too had the desire for a deeper sound, but before I bought a new drum, I did an experiment:
I took 2 snare drums with identical snare dimensions, shell materials and head tunings, dropped a BFSD top on one of them and the sound was night and day.

I only tell you this to save you a lot of cash. IF you're in the market for a deeper snare, then go for it. One can never have enough snare drums. =-D
If you just want the sound from a snare you may already have, then this is your answer.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Take an old snare head and cut it about 13 inches in diameter, losing the aluminum hoop, and put that on your snare, and you will have all of the fat, not phat, which is what you are after, and it won’t cost a dime.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Take an old snare head and cut it about 13 inches in diameter, losing the aluminum hoop, and put that on your snare, and you will have all of the fat, not phat, which is what you are after, and it won’t cost a dime.
Indeed,

Also worth mentioning is that you can use more than one so that you can achieve double-phat, or triple to achieve Don-Henley levels of phatness without having to purchase an eight-ball.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post
To be honest, you don't need a deeper snare for a fatter sound, you just need something like a Big Fat Snare Drum accessory.

I too had the desire for a deeper sound, but before I bought a new drum, I did an experiment:
I took 2 snare drums with identical snare dimensions, shell materials and head tunings, dropped a BFSD top on one of them and the sound was night and day.

I only tell you this to save you a lot of cash. IF you're in the market for a deeper snare, then go for it. One can never have enough snare drums. =-D
If you just want the sound from a snare you may already have, then this is your answer.
Would absolutely agree. I'd also add tuning is the biggest factor. Have you seen any videos of guy who tune their snare and then drop the tuning on the three lugs closest to them? I think there is a Drumeo video that has the sound you are looking for.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:29 AM
Gold Member

One of the fatest sounds I achieved was on an Acrolite, 14x5. It's all in the right head selection, and tuning. I know that some say you should detune lugs, but that causes uneven tension across the head, and can damage lug threads over time, as well as cause uneven head wear from uneven hoop tension. I second the idea of a used head with the rim cut off, and placed on the batter. Works like a charm!
Old 03-19-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkaway View Post
Would absolutely agree. I'd also add tuning is the biggest factor. Have you seen any videos of guy who tune their snare and then drop the tuning on the three lugs closest to them? I think there is a Drumeo video that has the sound you are looking for.
Yeah, but I like my heads flat :)
Thanks for the advises, I will try it, thank you!
Old 03-19-2018, 05:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KastroMelo54 View Post
Yeah, but I like my heads flat :)
Thanks for the advises, I will try it, thank you!
Got ya! Take a look at Ash Soan's older videos. That guy has about the fattest sounding snare I can remember hearing.

All tuning, I believe, but it's worth a few minutes to check it out. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEqiq23fqFo

Last edited by Chunkaway; 03-19-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member

I can get the Don Henley Eagles's sound out of a normal Supraphonic with a Remo coated power stroke 4 head tuned way down. I also have a couple of 8" deep snares, which doesn't make the process any easier, it just looks really cool.

However, in defense of the 8" deep snares, where those really shine is when you tune them up. Then you get a nice medium to high crack, but with a lot of body because of the depth of the drum.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:26 PM
Pioneer Member

A lot depends if you're mic'ed or not. If you're mic'ed you can try heads like Power Stokes of Evans dry heads but they do rob some volume and projection for live playing. Adding rings or cut out heads to your snare drum have a similar effect.

Tuning will get you there. Drop your tuning on both heads, I will tune the snare side head lower than the batter. You get an open sound and hear the shell as well as the heads, that gives the snare drum body and tone. You'll still get some ring but that helps with projection for live playing.

30 and 42 strand wires can also have a muffling effect, so for open lively sounds less wire is better than more.

HTH
Old 03-19-2018, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

Quick inexpensive tip if it is for just a couple of songs : using your regular snare, unscrew the two tension rods closest to you to jaw when needed, then just tension them back up again when the songs are done.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:25 AM

The way I was brought up and raised local drummers always used a real heavy and deep brass shell tuned medium or low for that big fat whip sound. However I've been seeing more and more of those big fat snare pad things in both live and studio situations and everyone who I've seen using them only has good things to say about it

You might as well cut up an old head like gruntersdad suggested. It's free and worth a try
Old 03-20-2018, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

I have a feeling the OP doesn't want to hear about tuning issues, rather I think he would like a snare that inherently has a lower pitch.

None of the drums he listed are fat sounding/low pitched snares. If the OP wants a low pitched drum, I would suggest a walnut snare drum. They tend to have a darker, slightly lower pitched sound.

I still thinking tuning is the key, or even using some of the other techniques people have mentioned.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:49 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I have a feeling the OP doesn't want to hear about tuning issues, rather I think he would like a snare that inherently has a lower pitch.

None of the drums he listed are fat sounding/low pitched snares. If the OP wants a low pitched drum, I would suggest a walnut snare drum. They tend to have a darker, slightly lower pitched sound.

I still thinking tuning is the key, or even using some of the other techniques people have mentioned.
Don't forget Bubinga! :)
Old 03-20-2018, 02:18 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Try s Gretsch Swamp Dog. They 8 x 14 mahogany.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
Don't forget Bubinga! :)
Yep, that is a good call. I forgot about bubinga.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:08 AM

What I do is tune the reso super tight, tune the batter (PS 77 for me) a quarter turn past finger tight, then loosen the snares until you get the desired effect. I also cut a moongel in half and put a piece on the top and bottom of the batter head.

OR

Buy a Big Fat Snare Drum and be done with it, lol.
Agop/Dream
Old 03-20-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Got ya! Take a look at Ash Soan's older videos. That guy has about the fattest sounding snare I can remember hearing.

All tuning, I believe, but it's worth a few minutes to check it out. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEqiq23fqFo
Thanks, the video was awesome, will definitely experiment with tunings and the big fat snare drum, for sure!