Fixed lugs such as tube lugs

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I am coming to the conclusion that I think I prefer a non fixed lug. I have a BB with tubes and a Canopus with a fixed 1 center screw double ended lug. I think that, considering all the variables in play, such as imperfections with bearing edge, imperfections with the hoop itself, imperfections with the drumhead collar, foreign objects etc...all these things can conspire to make the tension rod less than perfectly straight where they enter the lug. I think it's for the greater good that there is adjust-ability where the rod enters the lug. My BB has 2 rods that are harder to turn than the others, even without tension on them. I think that problem might go away if I put the Imperial lugs on it. Yea, I'm not liking the fixed lugs anymore, I may buy a set of Imperials for my BB.

This is me running away, and going to watch a movie with my beautiful wife! :)

So that's why most professional drummers use non-fixed lugs.

...oh wait. They don't.

Did the gremlins get into your head?

This is me running away, and going to watch a movie with my beautiful wife! :)
Larry, if I may, I think someone's trying to suggest that if you don't like the inflexibility of tubes, perhaps you'd be interested in some Mapex lugs for your Ludwig. Maybe some of those powder-coated MyDensity jobs. Hello Kitty! pink might be cute.

I am coming to the conclusion that I think I prefer a non fixed lug. I have a BB with tubes and a Canopus with a fixed 1 center screw double ended lug. I think that, considering all the variables in play, such as imperfections with bearing edge, imperfections with the hoop itself, imperfections with the drumhead collar, foreign objects etc...all these things can conspire to make the tension rod less than perfectly straight where they enter the lug. I think it's for the greater good that there is adjust-ability where the rod enters the lug. My BB has 2 rods that are harder to turn than the others, even without tension on them. I think that problem might go away if I put the Imperial lugs on it. Yea, I'm not liking the fixed lugs anymore, I may buy a set of Imperials for my BB.

Sure it's not just dirty threads on the BB? Or poorly cut threads? With no tension I'd have thought you could tell whether they were binding against the hoop.

I've just seen a problem like this. I was trying to replace the CL-55 lugs on my Pearl brass snare with aftermarket tube lugs. I tried each of the lugs with the Pearl tension rods before I mounted the lugs and they threaded perfectly. When I mounted the tube lugs on the shell I noticed that the rods on one side were really hard to thread. I worked with the alignment on the lugs but the problem was still there. Forget finger tightening! When I reinstalled the stock lugs the problem went away. I like the look of tube lugs on this drum but I don't like the uneven tensioning and the potential for cross-threading the lugs. I'll have to keep searching. Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes well-fitting replacements for Pearl lugs? I can't afford the ones from Pearl just yet but I do like the look.

My POV, the lower the lug mass, the better, unless you're using very thick shelled drums. Fitting lugs that are more complicated than necessary, to make up for manufacturing deficiencies, is just a drum maker's cop out. There's easily enough wiggle room in the tension rod hole of most standard metal hoops to accommodate significant drift. If you're making drums that need even more tolerance than that, you really are putting out a sack of crap.

Back