Mark Guiliana or Marcus Gilmore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my opinion: differnet drummers - different styles, no better or worse..

Ok, if you are a Bandleader in search of a drummer, then there are some points like age, ready to travel, live or recording, married and so on.

But just from the desktop: i don't like these silly better or worse - Discussions about style-differences: always very welcome.

Bernhard

Are you kidding? Why not ask about Batman vs Superman? Bardot or Monroe? Orange or Green??
Come on, dude- what kind of question is "Who's the best drummer - 'A' or 'B' ?"
How about narrowing it down a few notches to at least: context, genre, venue, etc. ?

These kinds of questions are sophomoric at best and, imho, ultimately useless.

I went to a Mark Guiliana drum clinic a few months ago. He seemed a really down to earth guy, charming and easy-going. Really enjoyed it.

Who are these two guys? I've never heard of them. No really, I'm serious.
I can look them up on YouTube. But first tell me, is it worth my time to listen to their playing and decide which one I like better?

I can look them up on YouTube. But first tell me, is it worth my time to listen to their playing and decide which one I like better?

In my opinion, yes. They both have an interesting jazz approach to what they do, and they’re both great drummers. And, Guiliana played on Bowie’s Blackstar, which gives him some “Street cred” in my book.

In my opinion, yes. They both have an interesting jazz approach to what they do, and they’re both great drummers. And, Guiliana played on Bowie’s Blackstar, which gives him some “Street cred” in my book.

Super. Thanks. I'll check them out.

they are two of the most innovative drummer of the last 40 years to say the least

Why don't you choose one and explain why? You brought it up. Give us a reason to give a crap about this conversation.

+1 Well said Todd. :D

Asking who's better, especially with these two drummers who are both virtuoso players, is a very immature question from the OP.

I probably don't have experience or knowledge like you, but I've seen them both play live a few different times in small clubs in NYC.

Both are brilliant players in my small world. When I'm capable of playing at their level, I'll then be in a position to judge who is better.

Until then, I'll just listen, watch and admire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back