Coated EMAD

Doug Masters

Silver Member
Hey guys, having recently switched from clear to coated on my toms and loving the classic sound of single ply coated heads, I am curious about the coated EMAD vs the clear EMAD I currently use. Any reviews?

Thanks

I use coated EMADs on all of my local kicks, and they are just perfect for a classic, thumpy, oomphy, just-enough-resonance sound. I don't think most stores carry them, so they'd need to be ordered. But absolutely take the plunge, you won't be sorry!

Bermuda

Coated bass drumheads are where its at! I just switched to a coated power stroke 3, and boy is it awesome. I'd say run the coated emad and maybe an ebony ambassador unported, no muffling, and a patch. It'll be monsterous.

I use coated EMADs on all of my local kicks, and they are just perfect for a classic, thumpy, oomphy, just-enough-resonance sound. I don't think most stores carry them, so they'd need to be ordered. But absolutely take the plunge, you won't be sorry!

Bermuda

Hey Bermuda, how are you doing? Been a long time since we talked.
It does seem that more people are rediscovering coated bass heads.

Hope to talk to you soon,
Rick Drumm

Heya Rick, a pleasure to see you here!

For those who missed his introduction in the "Introduce Yourself" thread, Rick Drumm is the President of D'Addario, who manufactures Evans drumheads (among other fine products.) Rick and I go back a few years... he signed me at Remo in 1984, and I became a Vic Firth endorser while he was President there.

Great playing in the jazz fest video!

Bermuda

Good!, because I get to thank the D'Addario/Evans once again for thier generous donation of ec-2 coated drumheads that allowed me to repair the chapel tent's drum kit where I was deployed to. He made many people happy, because shows (both chapel and secular/USO) went on that would not have been possible without the donation. Thanks again!

Heya Rick, a pleasure to see you here!

For those who missed his introduction in the "Introduce Yourself" thread, Rick Drumm is the President of D'Addario, who manufactures Evans drumheads (among other fine products.) Rick and I go back a few years... he signed me at Remo in 1984, and I became a Vic Firth endorser while he was President there.

Great playing in the jazz fest video!

Bermuda

Thanks Bermuda, I'm trying to keep whatever chops I have left in shape. I have been doing some playing in NYC, Boston and D.C. when time allows and been seeing some great Cuban music lately. Most importantly, we have been working on a bunch of new products. I will be in L.A. in a couple of weeks. Will give you a call.

RIck

Good!, because I get to thank the D'Addario/Evans once again for thier generous donation of ec-2 coated drumheads that allowed me to repair the chapel tent's drum kit where I was deployed to. He made many people happy, because shows (both chapel and secular/USO) went on that would not have been possible without the donation. Thanks again!

I can assure you that it was our pleasure to be able to help. Thank you.
Rick Drumm

Coated Emads, my head of choice for the kick drum

I have a clear EMAD2 but just played a Yamaha set w a coated and I am jealous. The coated EMAD really is a sweet sounding head. Maybe next year, my EMAD is too new to replace.

I switched from the clear to coated Emad over a year ago. Both are great heads, but I love the coated. Sounds great miked or unmiked. Can't even remember why I switched now, but glad I did.

Back