Joey Jordison

To be honest with you all, I dont have any dilusions about him being the greatest drummer ever. He is my favorite drummer though. His style appeals to me, and obviously alot of other people otherwise his name wouldnt stir up so much drama on the boards.

I dont believe he has done anything revolutionary for the drumming community, but everyone has their own taste and opinions about drumming. Some of you die hard death metal fans have an anurism when someone praises what Jordison has done with his drumming. But come on if you think about it what has he really done? ...He has found a style of drumming that has appealed to a large portion of people, if thats not a way to gauge your success as a drummer then I dont know what is. I dont see how it matters if you can play 32, 64 or 128. If you can only find a handfull of people that enjoy the music you make, regardless of your skill in doing it. then how "Good" are you?

Like I said im not going to run around screaming he is the best ever, but I like him.

Whitey

Joey Jordison, the drummer of SlipKnoT, is incredible of course. He is why I decided to play heavy metal instead of punk. I went to a Knot concert in march and the vertical spinning solo is amazing to see first-hand.

well the simple fact that he uses triggers on his drums makes him a joke, you have no idea how much of the groove he is actually playing.

I have seen many videos of joey jordison playing drums in the studio and live...he plays awesome... And by the way, what do you mean " he uses triggers "? Not familiar with this term.

Bonham to the moon said:
well the simple fact that he uses triggers on his drums makes him a joke, you have no idea how much of the groove he is actually playing.
Wow, I'm sure that the majority of pro drummers will be interested to learn this.

first of all triggers arelike mics in that they are involved with sound.joey is ensuring his drums sound mean at every venue and so will i eventually go this way, heck a huge portion of pro drummers do this anyway. it is no indication at all that this is a lack of skills. i'm surprised at this post from you. i tell you in myopinion, Bonham would have used triggers were he alive today. listen to the timps on his 'montreaux'. triggers just combine the sound of the drum to another drum sound making a newer meatier drum sound.

secondof all, if he is triggering loops (which i doubt), this still is not an indication of his drumming being a joke. playing to loops is exceptionally hard and a whole other skill. the greatest drummersdo it all the time...don't believe me?go and watch some dennis chambers vids.

thirdl, just watch joey play and listen. when the stick goes down there is sound. nothing inbetween to suggest he is cheating in any way. even if by somechance he was onlyplaying 80% of the groove i thinkl this would be impressive. in fact its far easier to be 100% in charge of the groove than to try and share it with a machine, especially during the mayhem of a slipnot concert. i'm not a fan of the band but i am a fan of drummers. don't bash what you don't understand

j

ps: sorry but i am in a mood today.

well triggers can be used like a dualist pedal, when u hit the drum you can make it sound like u hit the drum more then one time, therefore not knowing how much of the drumming he is actually playing. I have no problem with triggers used as a away to add an effect, such as an echo, or sumthing else.

even so let's say you programmed a trigger to make a double strike, it would take great skill and internal clocking to make the strikes fit in with the tempo structure of the song. on my roland kit there is a fun little kit called 'drum solo'. when you hit a tom once it fires four times rapidly. sometimes for fun i play it. to make a continuous single stroke roll takes some cool minded skill.

that said i very much doubt joey uses anything like this. i have read several articles and interviews on him and my roady is a huge fan. so i have seen nearly every slipknot DVD especially the ones with a joey cam. believe me he doesn't use double triggers etc.

j

I found a video of Joey unmasked messing around on his set. He doesnt use triggers. He plays a hundred percent. And what he is playing is complicated and fast. Besides, if he has been playing since he was thirteen, why are people constantly questioning his talent? Jealousy maybe? I'm not accusing anyone in particular but seriously, we could take any drummer and list what is bad about them. It doesnt accomplish anything. I'm sticking with my theory that Joey is awesome. And is one of the fastest Metal drummers I've heard. His songs arent repetitive either, he makes them interesting. Its more than just beats, its a real collage of sounds and rhythms.

even so let's say you programmed a trigger to make a double strike, it would take great skill and internal clocking to make the strikes fit in with the tempo structure of the song. on my roland kit there is a fun little kit called 'drum solo'. when you hit a tom once it fires four times rapidly. sometimes for fun i play it. to make a continuous single stroke roll takes some cool minded skill.

that said i very much doubt joey uses anything like this. i have read several articles and interviews on him and my roady is a huge fan. so i have seen nearly every slipknot DVD especially the ones with a joey cam. believe me he doesn't use double triggers etc.

j

ill take your word for it, but triggers still rub me the wrong way

I don't think he uses triggers to "add" notes not played...I'm not sure of any drummers that do that...However i know alot of people look down on drummers who use triggers (I personaly don't)...There reason being that the triggers give you the same dynamic of the note no matter how soft or hard you are playing...It used by many metal drummers because of the speed they are playing with the bassdrum...Playing 16th notes on the bass at 250 BPM and higher can take ALOT of volume away from the notes...You could be playing (mp) but triggers will make it sound like your playing (FFF) and all even...

Hey guys! Just Check out the last Slipknot video "The Flameless" Shooted live here in Venezuela... Drums speak to save joey from all that has been said here... I think I have to work for 2 years to play that song right... "flameless... just Flawless drumming"

Hes not the best drummer about (not by a long way) But he is a good drummer IMO. I Agree that drummers like donati, and Lang are way more skillful and technical but i still think hes good as a performer and drummer.

Joey its a good drummer but nobody's perfect...
I dont like his twin pedal "abuse", he can make something better but make a fast roll is not the most awesome performance I saw

andresmazzei said:
Hey guys! Just Check out the last Slipknot video "The Flameless" Shooted live here in Venezuela... Drums speak to save joey from all that has been said here... I think I have to work for 2 years to play that song right... "flameless... just Flawless drumming"

When U start to work on your thechnique, rudiments, rolls, ect ect ect.... and youll be able to play a harder song.... concentrate on your mistakes, fix them and youll play better...
Practice is not all !!!!, but you cant up your skills if you stay playing songs....
Other thing.... all have their own preferences, but listen to diferent music and styles will not kill you....

Joey Jordison is a great drummer!!! YES, he is!!!! He does exactly, what the job calls for. Beside of this he's also a versatile jazz player, knowing his chops. Be sure!!!!

Bernhard

I think Joey Jordison is an amazing drummer. His speed is incredible. Everything in his beats flow together so smoothly.

i think what i like about joey jordisan is his attitude to music. he's in at least two or three bands, and in a rythm interview he said one of his drumming idols was rolling stones drummer charlie watts, which i thought was pretty cool. his life seems to be about music, and not image, which i stupidly used to think (didn't mean to use the word stupidly, but i don't know the correct spelling of nievely).

Back