New Guy - 80's Power Set with Modern Layout

csnow

Hi all,

I don’t post here much but I am excited to share my new kit with the community. I recently got back into drumming after over 20 years away from the skins. I had a large 11 piece Pearl kit that I sold in 1986 to fund my Camaro when I was 16. I have missed that set since the day I sold it. About two years ago, I got the desire to get a set again after playing the Rock Band...lol

I started off with a nice set of Roland (TD20). The Roland’s are great and I really enjoy playing them and using all the awesome VST software like Superior, Steve Slate, Addictive Drums etc. No matter what I bought for the ekit, it just lacked that WOW of a nice acoustic set. I love the Rolands and will continue to use them for practice and quite play.

A couple of weeks ago, I found a set of 1988 Ludwig Rockers on Craigslist in my local area. The drums are mint and they are the BIG ole power toms like my old Pearl set. As soon as I saw them, I had to have them. The shells are 4ply poplar and birch. They are made in the US and were the middle tier line of Ludwig back then (Classic, Rockers, Rocker II) The set was in mint shape and still had the original heads from 1988.

Here is an actual marketing picture of the kit from Ludwig from 1988 (red kit)

1988-LUDWIG6.jpg

I decided to go with only one bass drum with double pedals vs having two kicks. I like the playability of a virgin kick with the ride down low,so I split the kit. The only tom I didn’t use was the 13". It just didn’t fit and it kind of got lost between the 12,14,15, and 16. I also replaced the chromo-wood snare with a 1970's Ludwig Acrolite. I kept the drums I didnt use and have the stored safely in the closet.. I will preserve this little gem of history for the next generation.

I played around with various stands/hardware and came up with a design that is very ergonomic and fun to play. I have the power toms that I love and adore and the fluid flow of a newer setup. Of course, I had to go out and adorn this retro kit with the best cymbals of that era - Paiste 2002's. I also replaced all the heads with Remo pins.

I love it!

So, enough of the rambling...here are the pictures.

DSC05097.jpg

DSC05098.jpg

DSC05099.jpg

DSC05100.jpg

DSC05101.jpg

DSC05102.jpg

Paiste 2002's

14" Sound Edge hats
8" Splash
22" Heavy Ride
18" China
16 " Crash
16" Thin Crash
17" Crash
18" Crash
20" Thin Crash (also can be used as a washy ride - awesome cymbal)

Thanks everyone. I hope others will appreciate my new found joy.

Chris

PS - Sorry for the blah room. I still need to get the curtains up and some items on the wall. I just repainted the room to better match the red drums.

Last edited:
Nice find! Welcome back to the fold...had a 20 year hiatus myself...stupidest thing I ever did but glad to be back.

Very nice set up, enjoy it !

I knew you'd come up with a good combination/layout. Looks great.

Great kit and cymbals, I just sold my 2oo2 crashes that i had. I have a feeling i'm going to regret it down the line.

Awesome kit. I must admit if I could score a camaro just for selling my kit then i'd probably do it in a second lolz but things are a bit different 24 years later in the UK as well with regards to insurance and everything unfortunately.

The kit looks great though, i love the look of those 2 double o 2 cymals. I've got a 2002 power ride myself and it sounds utterly godly. Especially the bell and everything. It's just all you could ask for out of a heavy ride cymbal for rock and metal imo. I love power toms, they're hard to set up but they sound amazing. I'm not really a fan of the really quick sharp decay of really shallow toms, it's just not my thing really. I wish i had a big kit like that i must admit but maybe when i'm rich and that i'll be able to afford to lolz.

I knew you'd come up with a good combination/layout. Looks great.
Thanks Harry. I really appreciate you answering my questions and helping me via PM. So much has changed since the 80’s when it comes to drums, hardware, and cymbals.
Great kit and cymbals, I just sold my 2oo2 crashes that i had. I have a feeling i'm going to regret it down the line.
I love the 2002 line. It is the only cymbal I enjoy. The sound is so different from the Turkish families. I think you either love the Paiste line or hate it. The kit came with Zildjian and Sabians. I yanked them off and put them on Craigslist. I don’t find many cymbals that blend well with the 2002’s. The line is so different from everything out there. I always wanted the 2002 and 3000 cymbals back in the 80’s. All the major bands and drummers were playing them. I was only in my early teens so I couldn’t afford them. There was no Internet and used cymbals rarely showed up at the music store. It was an entirely different era. Drums and cymbals were EXPENSIVE. All I could afford were some trash can sounding Cambers. The utterly worst cymbal I have ever heard.

Awesome kit. I must admit if I could score a camaro just for selling my kit then i'd probably do it in a second lolz but things are a bit different 24 years later in the UK as well with regards to insurance and everything unfortunately.

The kit looks great though, i love the look of those 2 double o 2 cymals. I've got a 2002 power ride myself and it sounds utterly godly. Especially the bell and everything. It's just all you could ask for out of a heavy ride cymbal for rock and metal imo. I love power toms, they're hard to set up but they sound amazing. I'm not really a fan of the really quick sharp decay of really shallow toms, it's just not my thing really. I wish i had a big kit like that i must admit but maybe when i'm rich and that i'll be able to afford to lolz.
I agree, nothing thunders like power toms. I sat behind some newer kits and they just didn’t do it for me. That is why I stayed with the Roland set. I figured an old school kit would pop up for sale sooner or later. I would have wished to have found a set of Ludwig Classics instead, but these Rockers actually sound very good. I still wish I had the Camaro. It was a 1978 that was a beauty. I turned it into a 10.9 second street monster. I was young and dumb back then, I am blessed that I didnt kill myself with that car. I have been looking at getting another one but I need to sell my Toyota Supra first. I just miss the 80’s. I guess I am having a mid-life crisis. Oh well, I have money now so I can get the things that were out of reach for me back then. It just hurts seeing it all called “vintage” :)

Feels good to be back doesn't it? I got back into drumming a few months ago after a 20 year hiatus. Went with 2oo2s too!

Feels good to be back doesn't it? I got back into drumming a few months ago after a 20 year hiatus. Went with 2oo2s too!

It does feel good. My chops are rusty but I am practicing alot. The scene is so different now compared to back and so much fun! So many instructional DVD's, websites, youtube, etc. The ability to talk to other drummmers on forums, used gear everywhere. It is just a remarkable scene now. All we had back then was the local music store and Modern Drummer that came out once a month.

Nice kit. Reminds me of my Ludwig white Power Tom setup (but without the bottom heads and lugs), double bass and 2002s. I like the way you set them up. 30 years ago, I would never have imagined what you did was possible! Happy drumming!

GJS

Nice kit. Reminds me of my Ludwig white Power Tom setup (but without the bottom heads and lugs), double bass and 2002s. I like the way you set them up. 30 years ago, I would never have imagined what you did was possible! Happy drumming!

GJS

Indeed. My Pearl kit back then didnt have bottom heads. I cant remember, but I dont even think there were lower lugs or hoops. There might have been lugs but the hoops and heads were long by the time I got the set.

Indeed. My Pearl kit back then didnt have bottom heads. I cant remember, but I dont even think there were lower lugs or hoops. There might have been lugs but the hoops and heads were long by the time I got the set.
My set from the '80s was a Maxwin (made by Pearl). It was a 5 pc. with all concert toms. No reso lugs on the toms, FT or kick. Here is a stock photo of that kit. Mine was off-white.

maxwin.jpg

I changed the layout again. I went with both kicks with the 12" and 13" tom mounted on a stand between the kicks. Went with the 14" and 16" on the floor and the 15" to the back left. I am not sure what I am going to do with the 8" and 10". I agree, the fast attack toms on modern kits just dont have the umphhh that I like.

I changed the layout again. I went with both kicks with the 12" and 13" tom mounted on a stand between the kicks. Went with the 14" and 16" on the floor and the 15" to the back left. I am not sure what I am going to do with the 8" and 10". I agree, the fast attack toms on modern kits just dont have the umphhh that I like.

On one of my kits I have 8, 10, 12 racks with 14 & 16 floors to my right and 13 & 15 floors to my left.. problem solved

Welcome back,great kit and pics!!Looks like you will be in that part of the house alot!!!

I have some of the shorter rack toms on my kit and love them :)

But i also like the sound of much larger deeper toms :)

That kit is just stunning to look at though :) Glad you got back into it after a break? ;)

George.

Wow, you painted your room to match your drums....you must really be in love. Congragulations mate!

Last edited:
For quite a few years, even when running double kicks, I ran only 1 rack between the kicks, with 2 floors on the right. (my sizes were 14, 16, 18). And my gaggle of quads I ran left ot my hi-hat. 2 octobans, 12, 13 rack.​
Translated to your kit, that would be the 8, 10, 12, 13 left the hi-hat (mounted in two rows, above/below), your 14 between the kicks, and then the 15, 16 right floor position.​

Back