Help a Dad Out - Drum Shopping

GaryV

Hello,

I really don't know much about drums but my son (16) has been playing for a few years. He's starting to play in a band with some friends and I think its time upgrade his drums a little. He already has decent cymbals, Zildjian A's, so I'm just looking at drums for Christmas.

He mostly listens to and plays classic rock particularly Led Zeppelin which is more than fine with me. I was thinking he'd like some nicer quality drums in sort of a Bonham style.

He currently has a standard size (3 toms) SP kit but he bought himself a nicer Pearl snare.

I have a budget of around $800 but I don't HAVE to spend it all.

I was looking at some Ludwig sets on ebay and they seem to be pretty expensive for the most part. I found these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-Epic-Drum-Set-Power-Celestial-Blue-6pc-22-10-12-13-Shell-Pack-LCEP22RXFB-/171170044606?pt=US_Drums&hash=item27da879abe

Also I was looking at some Pearl's and like look of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEARL-Masters-Custom-Maple-4-Piece-Shell-Pack-Drum-Set-22-12-Mnt-14-16-FT/181248419786?_trksid=p2045573.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555001%26algo%3DPW.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D18577%26meid%3D2866953774637959500%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D8476%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D190977418288%26

Finally, I never heard of this brand before but these popped up on the ebay ads on the of the side of the page: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181264224573?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Which one of these would you recommend?

Jason, my son doesn't need anything spectacular, new, or particularly shiny, but something that he'll like, will sound good, and will hold up to the abuse of a high school garage band.

Any other recommendations are appreciated too.

Hello. Are you sold on getting a new kit? If not and if your son enjoys classic rock why not shop around for a used kit either on craigslist or ebay? CL is better because you could inspect in person. Guitar Center's online used website is another good place to look. I'd go for the Ludwig vintage route. They'll hold their value and you can't get that vintage mojo sound in a new kit. Post pics of what you've found and we'll all hopefully chime in with our advice. Good luck and take your time.

Both the Ludwig kit and the Mapex Saturn kit that you are considering are great drums. I own a vintage 60's Ludwig kit as well as a new Ludwig Club Date kit and I just love um. I also own a Mapex Saturn kit and I love it.

My son (15) has found himself in a very successful band that gigs constantly around Atlanta, and since almost all the places they play serve alcohol, and none of the boys are old enough to drive, parents end up being roadies/chaperones for all events. Here is what we have found satisfying:

1. We bought a Sonor Safari as a practice/small venue kit, but my son loves the sound so much that it has become the regular kit for all shows. Heads have been changed (PS 3 on bass and coated G2s on toms). He uses a Yamaha snare as he does not like the Sonor snare. I love the small size of the kit, and so far the durability has been outstanding. You could always get one of the other Sonor kits (like the Bop) if the 16" bass scares you off.

2. My son has really come to appreciate quality pedals. He likes Yamaha, but there are lots of choices. The Yamaha stuff appears built to last!

3. Snares are always fun. My son has two that he likes--a maple mapex black panther, and a big steel Yamaha that really contrast. Maybe you could see if he wants something to contrast with the pearl.

You have a very lucky son and you definitely came to the right place for advice. 800 is a great budget for a used set of drums, which I highly encourage. Of the three sets you posted the masters is the best of the bunch but I think if you look around you will find plenty of other kits, masters included, in your budget.

I think that buying your son a used set of pro quality shells is the best idea for a few reasons. The quality of the mounting hw and shell build quality as well as wood and finish quality will provide your son with a kit that could last a lifetime. If for some reason a year from now your son abandons his interest in the instrument, a high quality used kit bought at a good price, will hold it's value far better than a brand new mid level kit if you need to sell.

Guitar Center used gear is a great resource for buying gear and unlike ebay every item has a return policy. If you check this site http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedge...=700&max=1500&q=&distance=100&sort=0&dir=desc you will find a ton of options within your budget. I would avoid trying to configure a kit with Bonhams set up in mind and rather look for sizes that are more universal and more importantly than you might realize easy to transport. Standard 3 pc set ups with a 22 or 20 kick and 12 and 14 toms are in great abundance as are 4pc kits with 10 12 14 or 16 and 20 or 22. I would also avoid kits with kick drum depths greater than 18" , as 20" or deeper kits take up a lot of space in a car and sometimes won't even fit through some doorways. If you check the Guitar Center site don't limit yourself to local stores and search nationwide. Some stores will ship from store to store at no cost and if not, their shipping prices are very reasonable. Having a kit delivered to your local GC also affords you the opportunity to inspect the kit and deal with any undescribed issues right away. I have had very good success when I call the store and speak to the sales person in the dept and ask for a detailed description of the kits condition. Only once did an item arrive at my local GC not as described. Returning gear is no problem either.

Myself and many others are eager to help you get the most out of what could be a lifelong investment for your son so please feel free to report back here and ask questions about kits that you find. In your price range and from what I have discovered in my brief search I would recommend the following kits.

Tama Starclassic
Gretsch Renown
Gretsch New Classic
Pearl Masters
Mapex Orion/Saturn
Yamaha Oak/Birch/Maple Custom and Recording Custom

I'm sure I missed a few but each kit above would be a great choice.

All of the major drum companies are making quality drums. There really are no bad drums on the market today. The main objective is to get your son the sizes and the finish that he will like.

A good all around size kit is thus.
20" or 22" bass drum
10" and/ or 12" high toms
14" and/or 16" floor toms.

The classic sized 60's style kits mostly consist of;
12" and/or 13" high toms
16" floor toms.
20 or 22" bass drums.

The big Bonham Zep kits have larger 24" or 26" bass drums and larger 14" high toms with an 18" floor tom in addition to a 16"

What sizes do you think that your son will prefer?
What color/colors will he prefer?
Plastic wrapped drums are more durable that lacquer finished drums. Keep that in mind for gigging band use.

Last edited:
Saturns. Definitely the Saturns. Classic Bonham Sizes, but they are a bit scratched up, which is why they are kinda cheap.

I like Mapex but that kit was pretty scratched up. The $200 shipping seems a little high as well. You see a lot of this on ebay. Possibly Inflated shipping charges hiding a higher price. The Mapex Meridians are a good buy. You've got a lot of shopping ahead of you. The field is wide open and heavily populated. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

I think the classic Ludwig Club Date cavern club version would be a great set. 13/16/22, and they sound great - probably the closest he'd get to the Zeppelin sound. Brand new, the three-shell pack is a little over $800, I think. Maybe $749? Ben E. Carlos does a great demo of them on YouTube, they sound like Zeppelin drums!

I suggest new because buying used can be a real hassle too. You really have to know what you're looking for, and in this case, if its a gift and your son doesn't like them, you're stuck with having to sell them yourselves. At least if you go new, there's a return policy.

Oh yeah, Gretsch also makes a Catalina Club Rock kit, with a 14x24 bass drum, 9x13 tom, and 16x16 floor tom, again, a little over $800, but also well worth it.

The Epic series of Ludwig drums are imported,but all kits in that price range are.The shells are birch and maple.They are a really nice sounding set of drums.

The Mapex Saturns are good drums too,but ,are in fact ,that kit is pretty scratched up,and not really a 7 out of 10,IMHO.The red rims,are a pretty personal touch,and not for everyone.

Buying drums in the modern world is a daunting task,as dum companys have several lines to choose from.Ludwig alone has 11 different lines to choose from in entry level to top shelf pro level kits.

Drums,cymbals, and hardware...especially bass drum pedals,are very personal,because of sound,look...and feel.

So you can say that at a certain price point,it's pretty much a level playing field as far as build quality,so now sound,look and feel come into play.

I love my Ludwig Speed King pedal,and have since the early 70's,but I also like my Tama Iron Cobra double,each for different reasons.

I don't know if your wanted to surprize your son,with a new kit,but in truth,I would .....absoloutely ,make him a part of the decision making process,because of the the personal aspect of playing your own kit.

He may be a Ludwig fan,or a Pearl fan or insert name fan.Let him make the choice,but just be firm on your budget,but openminded on his decision.Sometimes great deals come along,that would be dollar foolish,to ignore.

In the end,this may just become a great father/son project.Plenty of guys here ,won't let you make a bad decision,so if you both see something you like,just run it by the forum.There's LOTS of experience here to help.

Steve B

So, I checked out the Ludwig Cavern Club Date set.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-Cavern-Club-Date-Set-Blue-Oyster-Pearl-Downbeat-3pc-Shell-Pack-BRAND-NEW-/151162628833?pt=US_Drums&hash=item2331feaae1
They seem pretty nice, and look really classy. But I was hoping for something with two floor toms.

Regarding the Mapex kit, I would at least give the guy a break with shipping. It says right in the description that the buyer will pay actual shipping costs. ~$50-200

But, I noticed that he lives fairly close to me (~1 hr), so I could probably go pick them up.

My biggest concern with them was that Mapex makes quality drums, and most of you seem to think they are nice instruments. The only brands I knew before where Ludwig, Slingerland, and Pearl.

I'm pretty sure I can get a good deal on them

I do like the idea of having my son help pick them out. There are so many drumsets out there its hard to pick. I'll probably run it by my wife tonight.

Ludwig kits are all right dude, but you'd be spending extra money on an antique when really some of the more modern shell packs far out do Ludwig by anyone's standards.

Go into your local music store and have a chat too, and look online. I personally suggest Tama. Great kits and ideal for rock too.

Ludwig kits are all right dude, but you'd be spending extra money on an antique when really some of the more modern shell packs far out do Ludwig by anyone's standards.

Go into your local music store and have a chat too, and look online. I personally suggest Tama. Great kits and ideal for rock too.

Antiques?Wow.,that's pretty funny.Have you looked at the ply layup of current Ludwig drums,or the new Atlas hardware line that came out a little more than 1 year ago?

The only thing antique about Ludwigs new drums and hardware,is the name.Other companys are now putting out drums like Ludwigs Legacy maple/poplar/maple shells.

These aren't your grandfathers Luddies....for sure.There's nothing antique about Ludwig at all.New is not always better,most of the time,it's just new,and recycled technology.

If you're associating the name with age,then 25 year antique rule applies to, Pearl,Tama and Yamaha,were all around in the early 60's also.Tama was at one time Star.Better have another look,your info is what's.....antique.

Steve B

Last edited:
I do like the idea of having my son help pick them out. There are so many drumsets out there its hard to pick. I'll probably run it by my wife tonight.

very nice of you to do this for your son. Having him help wont ruin the surprise, it will take the stress off of you about him liking what you pick out. Don't overpay for a kit listed as "Bonham Style". People seem to add a lot of money to the price when they say that. Good luck, check back with anymore kits you find if your not sure!

I can't believe that I just read that.
Ludwig drums are competitively priced and Ludwig drums come in numerous shell types and price ranges.
~Ludwig makes a drum kit for every taste. ~
Ludwig drums also hold their value in the resale market.

I currently am an owner of drum kits from Ludwig, Slingerland, Tama, Mapex, Sonor, Roland.

Yeah...me too Bob.I looked at that ,and said,what?Where is this guy getting his info from?The Ludwig USA and import line are re-engineered and competive with anything out there(Guru excepted) as far as sound,built quality and finishes, especially the new Atlas hardware line.

Steve B

I suggest new because buying used can be a real hassle too. You really have to know what you're looking for, and in this case, if its a gift and your son doesn't like them, you're stuck with having to sell them yourselves. At least if you go new, there's a return policy.

+1, Bo's nailed it here, you can buy used but if you're not experienced and don't know a bit about drums you're taking a chance on used gear, for the exact reason's Bo mentions.

Back