DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-21-2018, 04:53 PM

Default Dave Lombardo

Growing up a metal head I loved all things Thrash. At around 13 years old a neighbor girl dropped Metallica on my brain. That was the beginning. I then found Slayer, Anthrax, Suicidal Tendencies etc, and was changed forever. Much to my mothers chagrin I stopped cutting my hair and started wearing a lot of black and skulls lol. A drum kit soon followed.

Anyway my music world has expanded to cover a wide variety of music now but of course there is still a significant amount of Thrash on my ipod. I went down a rabbit hole the other day and listened to all the albums from "Show No Mercy" to "Seasons In The Abyss" straight through. I don't do that very much anymore and I should do it more.

Dave's drumming blew me away when I was younger. I spent countless hours trying out those fills and bass patterns. Now a bit older and obsessed with groove I find his drumming no less impressive. I really don't think that Slayer could have had the success it had without Dave Lombardo. To me his drumming is very musical if that makes sense. Some metal today can seem a bit mathmatical to me. There are exceptions but some of the drumming feels a bit soulless. Listening back I was constantly carried along with the groove that Dave put into his playing. Also the way he played all the flashy stuff you could want without overplaying. I know he is a pioneer and anything I am saying is not new but I though I'd share some love and see if others wanted to join in.

Last edited by cerendrad; 03-21-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Dave Lombardo

Gigantic Lombardo fan. I also was a big thrash fan, but I got into Slayer later than most. I can't really say he influenced my playing per se, but his energy and aggression always inspire me.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Yep. Huge fan.

In fact, even as an angst teen growing up when Reign In Blood was first released, I've always been a far bigger Dave fan than I'll ever be a Slayer fan. I think he's an absolute giant among men. Him, Bennate and Lars, were pioneers of an entire genre. A genre which Lombardo seemed to lead from the front.

Terrific player. Great innovator. Groundbreaking in his day.

Love his work with Grip Inc even more than Slayer. And his ability to keep up with the sheer diversity of Mike Patton in an outfit like Fantomas, is worthy of recognition in it's own right.

I've always thought drummers should seek out others far from their comfort zone in order for inspiration. Non metal guys could do far worse than turn their eyes to Dave Lombardo for just such inspiration.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:26 PM

Cool, Im going to check out Grip Inc. Charlie Bennate is another whole story!
Old 03-22-2018, 06:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendrad View Post
Cool, Im going to check out Grip Inc. Charlie Bennate is another whole story!
Charlie is a beast behind the kit, but the fact that he writes most of the Anthrax riffs puts him on another level.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:51 PM

I didn't know that. That explains some things. cool