DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-15-2017, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anika switches to Tama

I guess that Yamaha (#29, but I wanted to write that before I saw your post)
is unarguably - whether everybody is a fan or not - a top brand in drumming.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:24 PM
Gold Member

IMO Yamaha and Tama are producing amazing drums, I don't know who's better, both are really really good. Both are top brands. Everybody knows them for sure. And thousands of drummers love their drums and hardware. But others might not like them. That's okay.

In 2010 there was a discussion about the "best brand". It almost ended in WWIII.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
IMO Yamaha and Tama are producing amazing drums, I don't know who's better, both are really really good. Both are top brands. Everybody knows them for sure. And thousands of drummers love their drums and hardware. But others might not like them. That's okay.

In 2010 there was a discussion about the "best brand". It almost ended in WWIII.
Humans are so silly ;)
Old 12-26-2017, 04:00 AM
Silver Member

I looked at some of her videos playing and none I looked at was the video and music actually the same. The sound was added later. Kinda disappointing and sounds way too polished. Alt-rock kinda bland and boring. The music had no soul it's completely bland and predictable. And, she plays wayyyyy too much drum. If I notice the drummer on every frickin' song then the drums are a distraction not an addition to the ensemble sound. It like Joe Bonnamassa shredding guitar on every Muddy and Howlin' song he does.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
I looked at some of her videos playing and none I looked at was the video and music actually the same. The sound was added later. Kinda disappointing and sounds way too polished. Alt-rock kinda bland and boring. The music had no soul it's completely bland and predictable. And, she plays wayyyyy too much drum. If I notice the drummer on every frickin' song then the drums are a distraction not an addition to the ensemble sound. It like Joe Bonnamassa shredding guitar on every Muddy and Howlin' song he does.
It's ok. She sells the Tama drums. Which is the most important thing, right?
Old 12-26-2017, 05:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post

We get much too passionate about what we choose. I suppose thereís that ďI have to prove to myself Iím right thing.Ē There are so many quality drums out there, the selections seem endless. Iíve been trying to narrow things down for over a year with no luck. Each has something Iíd miss on another. Wish I could have one of each for how the mood strikes me each day...oh, yeah! Then I woke up! LOL!!!

So far as Anikaís playing, itís her music, she over plays like crazy, but sells you the drumless version of her stuff too. You canít find some of the odd timed stuff around, so if youíre just looking for something to build your skills, they work well.

Im sure she says the same thing as she laughs her way to the bank.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:55 PM

Tupperware should have had endorsements a long time ago. Who hasn't started out banging on bowels with wood spoons?
Wood Sticks

Inspired By Phil Gould
Old 12-30-2017, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

Amazing how playing fast/playing too much = good player these days. Like I would have never heard of this Anika without this thread. Maybe the OP is Anika or her mother or boyfriend or ??? I mean, who really pays attention to Internet-drummers??? Now we have 3 pages of it lol.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Amazing how playing fast/playing too much = good player these days. Like I would have never heard of this Anika without this thread. Maybe the OP is Anika or her mother or boyfriend or ??? I mean, who really pays attention to Internet-drummers??? Now we have 3 pages of it lol.
I think itís more likely you are just out of touch a bit. No offense but Anikaís videos have millions of views and so do a great number of other internet drummers. Readership to drum magazines are down and dvd sales are practically non existent. The internet is where people take in their information regarding the current drum landscape.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:45 AM
Silver Member

Amazing how playing fast/playing too much = good player/good musician these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemarydrumco View Post
I think itís more likely you are just out of touch a bit. No offense but Anikaís videos have millions of views and so do a great number of other internet drummers. Readership to drum magazines are down and dvd sales are practically non existent. The internet is where people take in their information regarding the current drum landscape.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Amazing how playing fast/playing too much = good player/good musician these days.
Really, so you post the same thing twice. It's ok to dislike her music, you posted that before. I don't see what other point you are trying to make.

I think that if anyone can find a new way to pay the bills playing music, I say all the power to them.

A drummer playing and composing drum centered music? What a shock. Krupa, Rich, Peart, Weckl, I can list 100 names of people that fit in that category. I guess Satriani and Vai should be critisized for writing guitar-centric music too then, eh?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Not everything Krupa did was "drum-centric". Lots of good jazz ensemble music he wrote or arranged that doesn't feature drums. Seems all she does is play a lotta drum too much drum on most every song. I don't like Joe Bonnamassa either. His blues-shredding guitar licks just drive me up the wall. Too much guitar there. I enjoy a good ensemble sound with all the musicians listening to each other.

My point is IMHO she's a drummer who plays fast and plays too much. If she pays the bills doing that, then great. Doesn't make her any better or make me enjoy her music, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknightx View Post
Really, so you post the same thing twice. It's ok to dislike her music, you posted that before. I don't see what other point you are trying to make.

I think that if anyone can find a new way to pay the bills playing music, I say all the power to them.

A drummer playing and composing drum centered music? What a shock. Krupa, Rich, Peart, Weckl, I can list 100 names of people that fit in that category. I guess Satriani and Vai should be critisized for writing guitar-centric music too then, eh?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknightx View Post
I guess Satriani and Vai should be critisized for writing guitar-centric music too then, eh?
Plenty of people do.

These conversations go on all over the place.
On bass forums you'll see people ripping into Stu Hamm or Victor Wooten for the 'technique over emotion' playing.

I try not to write a player off because they have a lot of technique.
Nor do I if they don't.

My interest is 'do I like the music' or 'do I feel like I've connected to them'?
Old 04-03-2018, 06:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
..I looked at some of her videos playing and none I looked at was the video and music actually the same. The sound was added later. Kinda disappointing and sounds way too polished. Alt-rock kinda bland and boring. The music had no soul it's completely bland and predictable. And, she plays wayyyyy too much drum. If I notice the drummer on every frickin' song then the drums are a distraction not an addition to the ensemble sound. It like Joe Bonnamassa shredding guitar on every Muddy and Howlin' song he does..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
..It's ok. She sells the Tama drums. Which is the most important thing, right?..
Quote:
..I mean, who really pays attention to Internet-drummers??? Now we have 3 pages of it lol..

I sense a weird sort of sarcasm in posts like this..

I think is safe to say that basically no member on this forum (including myself..and..i am not speaking about members like Gavin Harrison..) comes even close to her level of playing..And that includes the amazing time-feel she has..

Then why speak about her like she is 'just a this..' or 'just a that..'..?
Old 04-03-2018, 06:10 AM
MasterBlaster

Old 04-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I donít think itís a matter of playing too much. I donít think anyone will have too many drum companies chasing them down if all they play is the money beat. Drumming has changed. Drummers are now getting more attention than before, so more power to them if they go from being Youtube drummers to viable musicians who drum companies feel are worthy enough to promote their brand.
Start your own Youtube channel, offer lessons, tips etc and see where it takes you. Nothing like hard work!
Old 04-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

lol people think anika is a bad drummer lol what world am i living in, this woman is doing more for this instrument than all of us combined goddamn
Old 04-03-2018, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone's Dad View Post
..I get that drummers admire her playing, but I donít think many non-drummers are even aware of her..

And what is that saying about her..?

I mean, on the Drummerworld-site is a Top 500-list with drummers..

How many of them would you say non-drummers are aware off..?
Old 04-03-2018, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
..Yeah sorry. What I meant to post is that I donít think that many non-drummers are aware of her music..

No problem..

But for some reason i never hear such arguments when speaking about that solo-album from Vinnie Colaiuta..I mean, how many non-drummers will be aware of that one..?

Now, i am definately not saying that the music from Nilles is in that same league, thats not what i mean at all with this..

But i am just not getting why people always feel the need to speak about her like she is just 'some sort of nothing' that happens to play drums and got famous because of a few videos..

That just makes not much sense..
Old 04-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Administrator - Mayor

From the Drummerworld website:

Anika is a german female Drummer, Songwriter and Producer.

After studying Popmusicdesign B.A. at the University of Popular Music and Music Business in Mannheim, she is now focusing on writing and producing her own songs which will be published on her Youtube channel.

The most important thing in her tracks, that stylistically belong in the pop/rock genre, is 'the groove!' Anika doesn't use her drums only for rhythm, but much more as an independent instrument. Hereby she manages to avoid unnecessarily putting the focus on herself and leaves room for extravagance. Her fine technique, the distinctiveness of her sound, and her strong groove characterize her songs and her way of playing.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
..Colaiuta has played on so many great records for so many great artists - most non-drummers wonít know his name, but theyíll know the music that heís contributed to..

But thats not a part of the discussion about Nilles, simply because she is not that much of a session player..Then why compare her in any way with that huge session-cataloque of Colaiuta..?

To be honest, i am not getting at all why more or less 'awareness of non-drummers' would make someone a better drummer or not..

I think would be much more wise when all those drummers that feel the need to bash her, would actually try to learn something from her..Then at least that energy is used usefull a little..