DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-13-2017, 10:19 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Default Anika switches to Tama

On my FB feed, Anika Nilles has switched from Mapex to Tama. If all her videos sounds like the old videos.......

Anything to discuss here?
Old 02-13-2017, 10:58 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Anika switches to Tama

I've heard the name, is she a YT phenom or does she have a presence in real life? As for Mapex & Tama, they're kinda the same to me, and neither is at the top of my Asian brands list. :O

Bermuda
Old 02-13-2017, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

She does some clinics, but AFAIK, she is not playing in a band but only doing her video-stuff - which I find really boring. And I hate the sound of her cymbals. :-P
Old 02-13-2017, 11:22 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I've heard the name, is she a YT phenom or does she have a presence in real life? As for Mapex & Tama, they're kinda the same to me, and neither is at the top of my Asian brands list. :O

Bermuda
I think for now she's a YT phenom, but she does know how to play. I'm a bit old school and expect a good musician to be playing with other musicians all the time though. She does compose her own stuff and is releasing music to buy though, so that's a plus.

Whether or not she gets to sub for the guy who plays with Weird Al is another matter ;)
Old 02-13-2017, 11:53 PM
Administrator - Mayor

From her website:

She built her own band called „Nevell“ with which she will perform her songs live on stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoDDWGzGXTM
Old 02-13-2017, 11:55 PM
Gold Member

She's really good. If you've not heard her you should check her out, in my view.

Does lots of interesting things with time signatures, she ran a monthly column in one of the major UK drum magazines for a couple years and it was always full of challenging exercises involving and manipulating time.

Would recommend her, she's not a flash in the pan. As for the switch from Mapex to Tama? Meh but best of luck to her.

Met her once, nice person also.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:47 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Whether or not she gets to sub for the guy who plays with Weird Al is another matter ;)
As with most pro gigs, you don't jump from YouTube to YouTour overnight. Playing the drums well is important and great and all that. But there are major elements of being a working musician that don't come from the web, no matter how many followers you have.

Until someone can listen, do sound design, program parts, create live parts, take direction, play seamlessly with a click, play with others in a scenario where they're not the center of attention, and most importantly, have the temperament and maturity to do it all in a cheerful manner... they're not ready for prime time.

Bermuda
Old 02-14-2017, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Her playing struck me as kind of "drummy". As in there's tons of stuff in there that only a drummer would understand or listen to. I feel the same way about folks like Rabb, or JoJo M.

I haven't heard the band centric stuff, only the videos where she's playing along to a electronic melody/progression.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:29 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Is it just me, or is it really true, that when drummers write and release music, it includes a lot of drums.

On another note, is a question without a question mark considered proper English?
Old 02-14-2017, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Is it just me or is it really true, that when drummers write and release music, it includes a lot of drums. (is a question without a question mark a question?)
I think generally, yes. They figure if someone is going after their music because they are making that music, and they're known for being a drummer, they expect people will want a lot of fancy drum stuff. I don't think they're wrong, either. I tend to prefer non-drum-centric music, but others are from different cloth.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:39 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I think generally, yes. They figure if someone is going after their music because they are making that music, and they're known for being a drummer, they expect people will want a lot of fancy drum stuff. I don't think they're wrong, either. I tend to prefer non-drum-centric music, but others are from different cloth.
Oh yea, no judgement. Just an observation. I guess other "sidemen" who do records do the same thing, feature their instrument. You humans are a curious lot.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Is it just me, or is it really true, that when drummers write and release music, it includes a lot of drums.
Not always the case. Check e.g. Phil Collins, Manu Katché, Ringo Starr. ;-)

I guess there is nothing to add to Bermudas comment. Spot on.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:34 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
As with most pro gigs, you don't jump from YouTube to YouTour overnight. Playing the drums well is important and great and all that. But there are major elements of being a working musician that don't come from the web, no matter how many followers you have.

Until someone can listen, do sound design, program parts, create live parts, take direction, play seamlessly with a click, play with others in a scenario where they're not the center of attention, and most importantly, have the temperament and maturity to do it all in a cheerful manner... they're not ready for prime time.

Bermuda
Point taken, sir ;)

Old 02-14-2017, 07:27 AM
Silver Member

I wish her luck with Tama and thank her for the positives she brought to Mapex. Both companies make some really nice drums.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Silver Member

I'm a huge fan of Anika. Her drumming is very mathy, the opposite of what I play or usually listen to in every way. Lots of crazy subdivision stuff. But she does things in every video that make me drop my mouth open in awe. And she does compose her own music, and a couple of the videos feature other players.

I say all the power to her, she's making the big jump from youtube star to performer I think, but she's not what I would call a traditional youtube star like some others. She's riding some incredible playing, not looks or rehashing covers. And honestly for the next generation of players, all the power to anyone finding new ways to monetize their talents. Lord knows traditional live playing in bands and releasing albums is circling the drain.

The jump to Tama, I'm sure is just one of those international support things, now that she is doing more international work, the ability to get gear more consistently anywhere in the world is probably the prime factor. Those Mapex White Panthers she was playing I'm sure were fantastic. And Good for Tama to get someone to break the mold of being the drums for metal players. lol.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Bermuda
I respect your opinion immensely, as your knowledge of the subject dwarfs my own, however, I will say that the jump from "youtube" musician to touring musician is becoming more common. I can think of 5 examples off the top of my head, and I am sure there are many more. Anika Niles has a video with 5 million views. 5 MILLION! That is 5 million people who know her name and have seen her face. If I am a touring musician looking for a drummer that does what she does, why would I not audition her first. She brings a fan base that a Nashville studio guy cant touch. I do understand that being a professional touring musician takes more than making videos, believe me, I was one of the guys who couldn't handle it, but I believe that bands will look to youtube more and more in the future.

As for the the jump to TAMA from Mapex, it makes sense that brands would be fighting over her. I say again 5 MILLION views! Abe Cunningham is probably my favorite TAMA artist and he wont play to 5 million people this year. I think us old guys need to realize how much the world is changing and we need to change with it.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:41 PM

I would compare her to Thomas Lang, he is like her more known for his clinics and drumming tech videos than for being in a successful band. Oh and same for Benny Greb and some others.

Very good for Tama having her. But then I am not a surprised. Meinl is also the distributor for Tama in Germany.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknightx View Post
And Good for Tama to get someone to break the mold of being the drums for metal players. lol.
LOL. I thought they had done that already when they added guys like Cobham, Erskine, Searight, Evans and Deitch to their lineup. But apparently, it did not work. :-)
Old 02-14-2017, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Oh no!! Say it ain't so...
Old 02-14-2017, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Saw her at the London Drum Show a couple of years ago.

Not to my taste in general but she clearly can play. Really play. I don't think she'd have any issues driving a band or touring, etc. She knows what she's doing and is very good at it.

I hope she gets the support she needs from Tama.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Saw her at the London Drum Show a couple of years ago.

Not to my taste in general but she clearly can play. Really play. I don't think she'd have any issues driving a band or touring, etc. She knows what she's doing and is very good at it.

I hope she gets the support she needs from Tama.
I think support might be the key word here as I read in the Russ Miller thread where it wasn't feasible for him to use/endorse the Black Panther series due to their limited production run of those kits. Saturns, on the other hand were much more available with respect to worldwide support.

I think Mapex kind of shot themselves in the foot with the limited runs of the Velvetone, Blaster and Black Widow kits. The shell compostitions are a bit confusing and the lack of choice with finishes didn't help either. I have the the Black Widow kit and it just so happens I really dig the tranparent black lacquer/blk brushed nickel hardware but I'm sure other finishes may have drawn more people to the brand. It's a shame as they really are fabulous drums.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Anika is one of the few YouTube drummers I really like. She can play, without doubt. I follow her Instagram too.

I think a lot of times, brand choice for endorsements is based on things that aren't obvious to most people. Someone mentioned Tama and Meinl having the same distributor in Germany, and that could certainly be a factor. If she gets better support from Tama, then I'm all for it!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
+ a certain Mr. Phillips :)
+ a certain Mr. Ulrich & Mr. Copeland
Old 02-14-2017, 07:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Bermuda
Here's a studio video cut of her playing with her band Nevell.......she wrote and produced it. She checks most of the boxes you mention if you ask me.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:28 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
+ a certain Mr. Phillips :)
Don't forget Elvin Jones also played Tama. The guys from Earth, Wind, & Fire also put them on the map in the 70s.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Don't forget Elvin Jones also played Tama. The guys from Earth, Wind, & Fire also put them on the map in the 70s.
We all know it was Lars Ulrich who put them on the map for the majority of people.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 PM
Gold Member

Guy's I really think she is an amazing Drummer and solo Musician (If you think there is such a thing or not). I really liked her song Synergy a lot.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:50 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
We all know it was Lars Ulrich who put them on the map for the majority of people.
Don't spread those rumors;)
Old 02-15-2017, 04:14 AM

Anika is awesome. She is a great player and inspiring a whole new generation of drummers. I would argue as well she is already doing or can do the checklist of things listed to be a successful touring drummer...but with her following, it's probably a lot more fun to do what she is doing than grinding it out on the road every night. More power to her.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Don't spread those rumors;)
Come on man, don't forget Neil Peart
Old 02-15-2017, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

Ah, yes, lest we not forget that the great and venerable NP played Tama back in the day.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:44 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCamelot View Post
Come on man, don't forget Neil Peart
Oh yeah! Mr. Peart was responsible for starting an entirely new drum line for the company. That's way more of a contribution than Lars ;)
Old 02-15-2017, 10:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Rashidi View Post
Here's a studio video cut of her playing with her band Nevell.......she wrote and produced it. She checks most of the boxes you mention if you ask me.

IMO the band plays only for supporting the drums, not the drums for the band/music. Like a drumeo-drummers intro. Disappointing.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Oh yeah! Mr. Peart was responsible for starting an entirely new drum line for the company. That's way more of a contribution than Lars ;)
Lars had a signature edition Tama drum kit. That Peart guy never did. Case closed!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:17 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknightx View Post
Lars had a signature edition Tama drum kit. That Peart guy never did. Case closed!
Perhaps, but the whole resurgence of the thin-shelled, throaty drums, was almost single-handedly put forward by Peart, resulting in the Arstar drums back in the 80s, which dictated the new direction for an entire industry. It is rather ironic how the Japanese drum makers were basically producing what early Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch, and Rogers made just a decade before. They were just poised to do it better since quality control went down in the American companies due to apathy?
Old 02-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Perhaps, but the whole resurgence of the thin-shelled, throaty drums, was almost single-handedly put forward by Peart, resulting in the Arstar drums back in the 80s, which dictated the new direction for an entire industry. It is rather ironic how the Japanese drum makers were basically producing what early Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch, and Rogers made just a decade before. They were just poised to do it better since quality control went down in the American companies due to apathy?
So the legends are true. Peart climbed out of a volcano with his Tama kit on his back like Atlas. Bringing forth fire from middle earth to reignite the industry.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:54 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrementalg View Post
So the legends are true. Peart climbed out of a volcano with his Tama kit on his back like Atlas. Bringing forth fire from middle earth to reignite the industry.
Something like that ;)

Others, like Bun E. Carlos, Charlie Watts, and Tony Williams, just kept playing their old drums!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I have to disagree with Bermuda's dig at Anika. She's a pretty accomplished drummer, one of Jost Nickel's former students. Sure, she's done a lot of YouTube video work, but she at least shows a lot of promise and plays very well.

Hopefully, she will start to get involved in more band work and diversify her playing, but if she's mainly a clinician and solo-ish performer at the moment, I don't see why we should mind. She can play exceptionally well (I think she's ten times more talented than, say, Hannah Ford), and if she can encourage more girls and women to get involved in drumming, then that's an extra bonus.

Glad she's with Tama--way better drums than Mapex, IMO. It looks like she'll be playing the Starclassic B/B line from the promo photo by Tama. I'd request a Star Maple kit, damn it! If not that, at least a Starclassic Maple. I'm not sure what Bermuda means by Tama not being at top of Asian market. Mapex, sure--nothing to write home about there. But Tama makes quality high-end drums and hardware, and they developed one of the best die-cast hoop/mount-in-one system that promotes great sustain. The Star series kits are probably top of the game in Asian market alongside Yamaha PHX. A Star Maple kit would certainly smoke a Ludwig Classic Maple kit, honestly--just no comparison there. CMs are nice kits, but finishes, hardware/lugs, innovation in mounting, etc., go to Tama, and there's a reason why Copeland, Bruford, Cobham, Phillips, Erskine, Furian, Portnoy, and others play them.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Something like that ;)

Others, like Bun E. Carlos, Charlie Watts, and Tony Williams, just kept playing their old drums!
Wasn't Tony Williams moving to DW at the time of his death? I know Steve Maxwell's shop used to own Tony's DW custom snare--in TY Yellow with red lugs, I believe, and 12 lugs on batter side.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

On the note of thin-shelled drum revolution that Matt alludes to, fusion/jazz player Joel Rosenblatt once told me that Tama developed the Starclassic Maple line to compete with Gretsch USA drums. He said something funny like, "Everyone loves a Gretsch kit but hates the hardware." Hence the SC Maple: thin-shelled maple, die-cast hoops, but better hardware. Interesting historical note from a Tama player who was there at the dawn of the SC line.