DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-21-2018, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

thanks for the answer. That helped me a lot!
Maybe a stupid question but how do you carry your ideas with you (on a computer or written on paper or anything)?

Been listening to your record with Gleb Kolyadin. Lovely!
On the Song "The Best of Days" I like this very subtle and soft drumsound you supported the song with perfectly.
How do you get that sound? Is it played with a brush on the toms or a kind of percussion drum...it sounds a bit like that but also more gentle - almost like you played it with your hands? Can you give more of an inside view what you did there - itīs hard to figure it out but it sounds amazing.
Greetings

Last edited by Robert Schmidt; 03-24-2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: added question
Old 03-27-2018, 07:47 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

HI Robert Schmidt

Maybe a stupid question but how do you carry your ideas with you (on a computer or written on paper or anything)?

Usually on paper. Before I set off on a tour I scan a lot of notation pages of ideas that I've been working on so I can have it on my computer.

Been listening to your record with Gleb Kolyadin. Lovely!
On the Song "The Best of Days" I like this very subtle and soft drumsound you supported the song with perfectly.
How do you get that sound? Is it played with a brush on the toms or a kind of percussion drum...it sounds a bit like that but also more gentle - almost like you played it with your hands?

I think it's brushes. It's so quiet in the mix I can't really tell. Glad you like the record it was an interesting record to make.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-08-2018, 10:17 AM

Hi Gavin,

how are you? I think you must be in the middle of King Crimson rehearsals.

I sometimes read Tony Levins road diary and I always get the impression that it must be such an intricate and complex gig.
On his newest entry he wrote underneath a picture of you:
"I donít know about the others, but my process to chart a complicated Crimson piece (one that I havenít learned yet) is usually to write the whole thing out, then after a few rehearsals, write a simpler version with names for the sections. Then a still simpler one, hopefully one page."

Question is: how do you do it? The same? Is it maybe possible to get an impression of what a chart from you looks like? (If not - thatīs perfectly okay.)
Are you guys "allowed" to still have sort of a cheat sheet on stage?

Greetings Robert
Old 05-10-2018, 11:30 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Robert Schmidt

I think you must be in the middle of King Crimson rehearsals.

The first part of rehearsals are now completed. We will do more rehearsing before the start of the tour next month.

Is it maybe possible to get an impression of what a chart from you looks like? (If not - thatīs perfectly okay.)
Are you guys "allowed" to still have sort of a cheat sheet on stage?

The three drummers are at the front of the stage so it wouldn't look good if we had music stands and charts on stage. I do write out a basic chart with some basic patterns on it - but I don't always write out what I will eventually be playing (as it might change or evolve over the rehearsals as we discuss what works or doesn't work between the three drummers). It is very hard to get to the point where you can play these really complicated arrangements (where the rest of the band are relying on you not to mess up) and not look at the chart. Just for reference this was the chart I originally wrote out for a piece called "Fracture" - and this based upon a demo that I made with Jakko Jakszyk (King Crimson's singer guitarist) where I multi tracked three drum kits. The demo itself went through 11 different arrangement versions over a couple of months before the band even got into the same room.
Name:  IMG_2677.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  706.2 KB

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-28-2018, 06:26 AM
Pioneer Member

I think I saw a picture of your kit with 3 Floor Tomís. What is your reason for this?
Old 07-04-2018, 09:17 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Stevesmithfan

I think I saw a picture of your kit with 3 Floor Tomís. What is your reason for this?

It was just for a photoshoot - but it also good fun to play 3 floor toms. They are 15" 18" (and a custom made) 20"

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-15-2018, 06:40 PM

Gavin,
Question; PLEASE forgive me if someone else has already asked this. The thread is too long to look back on.

I want a punchier sound on my 20" kick. I'm using hard felt beaters (all round) and am considering the Vater redwood beaters. Any thoughts on those vs. the plastic or rubber types? Thank you.