DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-12-2018, 06:20 PM

Default Ronnie Tutt - HAPPY 80TH BIRTHDAY!!!!

Elvis's former and Neil Diamond's current(?) drummer is 80 today!!! Although he's probably more "known" as "Elvis's drummer" I'm sure he has fans out there who know that he's worked with Neil since 1981.

Happy birthday, Ronnie! May it be an awesome day for you!!

(I know he won't read this but....just thought I'd give him a birthday shout-out). I put a question mark after Neil's name because I know that Neil decided to retire from touring after being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. Neil will, however, still record so.....
Phil. 4:13; Jer. 29:11
Old 03-12-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Ronnie Tutt - HAPPY 80TH BIRTHDAY!!!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE his playing with Jerry Garcia Band in the mid/late 70s! Happy Birthday!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:39 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Wow, I thought he was 78, didn't know he was 79 turning 80! Very impressive either way in terms of longevity as a working drummer, the most physically taxing of all musical positions.

Yes, Neil cancelled further touring, and was slated to be in Australia at this time. But Ronn wasn't going to be on that leg. Anyone who saw him last year probably saw him for the last time on the big stage. :(

I saw him (with Neil) most recently in 2015 in Las Vegas, and last year at the Forum in L.A. and he sounded good. Ronn was never a very hard-hitter, but he got even more gentle behind the kit over the last several years. Still a great groove and time, but none of the same visual fire he was known for in his Elvis heyday.

All in all, a very stunning and diverse career. I'm proud to be acquainted!

Bermuda
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2018, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member

I have lots of respect for Mr. Tutt, I play an annual Elvis show with a guy out of Myrtle Beach and every year the show changes a bit song wise. Talk about a workout, especially the 60 minute 70's Vegas show. If I'm not mistaken I think Elvis did two shows a day. Ron killed it.
Happy Birtday Ron ������
Old 03-13-2018, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

Ronnie is one of favorite live drummers.. just a beast.. In this vid Elvis turns around at one and looks at him and just starts laughing.. then tears it up :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb0Jmy-JYbA
Old 03-14-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
I have lots of respect for Mr. Tutt, I play an annual Elvis show with a guy out of Myrtle Beach and every year the show changes a bit song wise. Talk about a workout, especially the 60 minute 70's Vegas show. If I'm not mistaken I think Elvis did two shows a day. Ron killed it.
Happy Birtday Ron ������
You're correct. Elvis was originally signed to perform two-shows per day: One at 8:15 p.m. & another at 12:00 a.m. and sometimes even three shows in a single day. And he did this every night during the entire time he was booked at the International/Hilton/Westgate hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
Ronnie is one of favorite live drummers.. just a beast.. In this vid Elvis turns around at one and looks at him and just starts laughing.. then tears it up :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb0Jmy-JYbA
I absolutely hate that version of "Suspicious Minds" from August 11, 1970 because that wasn't even in the original "Elvis - That's The Way It Is" movie!! Rick Schmidlin removed the original August 12, 1970 MS (Midnight Show) version of "Suspicious Minds" with a much-less powerful version of the same song from a day earlier - and a lot of fans were not happy about his decision (including me). Also, when Sony released the 8-CD/2-DVD "TTWII" Deluxe box set, they went in and completely edited out Charlie Hodge's backing vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffWKfWoLhK0
Phil. 4:13; Jer. 29:11