What amp or system for octapad?

412drummer

I am looking to buy an amp or amplifier system for my octapad. I would like it be able to cut through a band. I would probably look used to get better gear cheaper but new is always an option too. It would primarily be used for effects and a few parts only but I still like it to be able to cut for practicing with the band. Looking for a few suggestions that it all can be new or used and older models are fine too but preferably ones I can still find for purchase somewhere. Thanks.

I have some experience with this. I have the octapad and SX. I quickly found out that amplification was way more important than I thought. First I borrowed a friends peavy keyboard amp. I don't remember the model name, but it didn't work out. It just didn't have any thump. Then borrowed a friends swr workingmans bass amp. This was much better, when playing by myself, but when in a full band situation, I still couldn't hear it. Then I tried in ears. I bought a set of Shure se215's. In ears won't work unless you mic all the drums and cymbals, and all other instruments.(side note.. I play acoustics with triggers on my kick and snare. I now use a qsc k10 and I'm extremely happy with it. This is a bit on the pricey side, but it works and is crystal clear. If you're going to run loops and sound effects live, there's nothing worse then not being able to hear yourself.

That seems like a realy nice speaker but I would defiantly have to get it used. What do you think of the cheaper mackie powered speakers or qcs ones in the $300-$400 range?

If you've got a full range of sounds coming from the pad, such as kicks on the low end, and cymbals or other jangly percussion on the highs, you'll need a full range amp with the correct speakers. Keyboard amps were always the solution to this, and I used to use a Peavey (KB400 maybe?) back in the day with my Simmons kit. I would imagine the Roland amp/speaker made for the V-drums would be suitable, and more portable than a separate head and cabinet.

It depends how loud you expect to get with it. For just effects - maracas, chimes, tambourine, congas, etc - you can go with a small guitar amp, even a portable Pignose would be suitable. But as soon as you need drum-set level sound with low end, you're going to need a more capable system. Meaning bigger, and more expensive.

Bermuda

An old standby for a good full range all-in-one amplifier package is the Roland KC-500 (or is it the KC-550 now?) They run around $600-ish but are pretty solid workhorses. However, you start talking about keeping up with a band, then you're into a small PA system in my book. Amplifiers (except for guitar amps) don't really sound good when you ask too much of them. You want enough power to run cool and easy while pumping out alot of good, clean sound. And the only way to do that is with more than you need. If you try to get by with 'just barely', you'll run into more situations where you wished you just invested more in a bigger system, or you'll be spending time with your small amplifier in the shop getting fixed from being over-driven.

I currently use my electronic stuff with a Mackie ProFX12 mixer, into a Crown XLS1500 power amp (300W per side at 8 ohms) and then out to a pair of Yamaha A15 speakers. It's a small-to-medium system, but just for my electronic percussion stuff, it's awesome.

thanks for the input everyone, I am looking for something for practice purposes that would be competitive enough for me to practice with my drums at home. Live I will probably run through a pa but I wanted something to use at my place for writing/practicing as the PA is only going to be accessible at our practice place and I usually don't have time to write there just time to run through the songs with everyone and present new ideas. I was looking into the simmons das200 as a cheaper alternative but I do not think they make them anymore. What is seems is I would be better or buying a small pa system for myself or a big powered speaker correct?

thanks for the input everyone, I am looking for something for practice purposes that would be competitive enough for me to practice with my drums at home. Live I will probably run through a pa but I wanted something to use at my place for writing/practicing as the PA is only going to be accessible at our practice place and I usually don't have time to write there just time to run through the songs with everyone and present new ideas. I was looking into the simmons das200 as a cheaper alternative but I do not think they make them anymore. What is seems is I would be better or buying a small pa system for myself or a big powered speaker correct?

If you are wanting it for home use, a very inexpensive solution is to buy a small practice-sized bass amp or even a headphone practice amp, run the line out to that, and then use some in-ear headphones. Keep the volume down in the in-ears and you will be protecting your hearing at the same time.

Any amp with a headphone out will do; I use a Peavey Minx 112 (available used for under $100 easy). For a headphone practice amp, check out this Vox headphone amp: http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAPBA. For in-ears, I recommend the Shure SA215 for $99 everywhere (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/shure-se215-dynamic-microdriver-earphones/h72276000001000?src=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CIO6uculorQCFal_Qgodoz0A6Q).

Back