What is our fav. song to play drums to?

From MediocreFunkyBeat:

Very challenging piece, MFB. The drum part reminds me of Bill Bruford's famous drumming in King Crimson's Trio ...

Someone finally picked up on it...

Personally I'm quite fond of the drumming on 'Effervescing Elephant' by Syd Barrett as well. Genius.

Noonward Race; Mahavishnu-Orchestra
Dance of the Maya; Mahvishnu-Orchestra
Superstition; Beck-Bogert & Appice
Sympathy for the Devil; Rolling Stones
Roxanne; Police
Whipping-Post; Allman-Brothers
A la Mode; Art Blakey
Soul Sacrifice; Santana
Won't Get Fooled Again; Who

Today it is Mickey Hart - Planet Drum - Congas and frame drum

Other days it might be the Pogues, Rolling Stones, Guess Who, Led Zeppelin, Zappa

GJS

The worst is yet to come-Still remains
tears don't fall-Bullet for my valintine
The plot to bomb the panhandle-A day to remember
memphis will be laid to waste-Norma Jean
through struggle-as i lay dying
dogs can grow beards all over-The devil wears prada
american love-haste the day
message for adriane-underoath
vices like vipers-Oh sleeper

Fool in the rain - John Bonham
Perfect Date - Steve Smith
Roxanne - Stewart Copeland
Pictures of Home - Ian Paice
Charlie - Chad Smith

That's my top 5.

At the moment I'm playing Sting's cover of 'A Day In The Life' from the Chicago Sessions album. Vinnie Colauita doing some great fills in there which I'm happy to copy ; - )

Also 'walking on the moon' and 'driven to tears' helps being in a Police Tribute band !!!

(Shh, and don't tell anyone this but Paramore are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, but shh)
Misery Business is an awesome song. I will learn to play it one day. The only thing i can't do is that roll in the middle. My playing is very lacking in the rudiments area.

Night in Tunisia.

It sounds different every time I play it and it is a challenge to keep it smooth and not choppy.

-Free For All - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (you can take it so many ways - from trying to copy/follow Art, to doing a more modern take on it - but nonetheless, an epic tour de force on the drums!)

-Amen - Coltrane Quartet (see above)

-Afro-Blue - Coltrane Quartet (see above in 3/4)

-Transition - Coltrane Quartet (another 15 minutes or so of searching and scorching by the Quartet!)

-Chicken & Dumplin's - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (fun one to just sit in a pocket and listen to some great hornsmen and groove)

-Moanin' - (the live in Japan version) Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (see above - but with some opportunities for some explosive drumming that the studio version never delivers - this one gives you chills!)

-So What? - (off "Four & More" - also the Plugged Nickel versions) Miles Davis Quintet (Tony's uptempo signature - I have every one of these licks copied and interpreted and in my mental database - the Four & More version messed with drummers' heads for a long long time)

-the albums Deloused and Frances the Mute - Mars Volta (I love 3/4 and so do these guys - and they also love allowing the drums - Jon Theodore - to dictate a lot and to just be free and the music allows for a lot drum-wise that is very fun/exciting to play along with - I'll go from copying Theodore to playing it how I would've - and it's always rocking)

-Billy Jean - Michael Jackson (so much fun to just sit in the pocket and play that simple simple groove and drive the song as much as you can while playing so simply. Also fun little experiments to try and keep that straight groove going with the slightest embellishments here and there to see if you can add or detract from the song - interesting excerice - and I'll play along to this track at least 5 times a week - And I'll hear other drummers play along to it here - I leave my drums on the stage and late-night people get up and play to the music - and you can tell instantly whether they can play or not when this comes on)

-most any DJ Shadow (I can stretch or play pocket, depending on the song, and can get really creative with trying to cover all those different drum parts that weren't intended for just one drummer to play - Napalm/Scatterbrain being one of the best emamples - also Blood on the Motorway)

-Achilles' Last Stand - Led Zeppelin (straight up "rip your face off" and groove with some chances to really flex the time/groove/embellishments)

-most any Sam Cooke (buy yourself any "Sam Cooke Greatest Hits" - learn the words to EVERY song, and play along with every song and watch your musical abilities/sensibilities soar - "Sugar Dumpling" is one of my favorites to play with this great "between straight/shuffle" grooves that is so much fun to play)

-Girl Talk's "Feed the Animals" album (so many different feels/tempo shifts/embellishments/groove/groove/groove it should be a test for any drummer - and it's so much fun to boot!)

-Smiling Faces - Gnarles Barkley (*great* shuffle feel with some great setups - I could - and have - play[ed] this song 10 times in a row and find it as enjoyable the first time as the last time)

-Marc Cary's "Trillium" album (Nasheet at some of his musical best - and each song has its own reason for being so much fun/musically-rewarding to play to)

-Jason Moran's "Facing Left" album (see above)

-oh heck: Any "classic quartet" Coltrane album (after My Favorite Things - which is the worst version of him doing that song - his Atlantic stuff I can do without...Anything on Impulse! hells yeah - "Underground Railroad" on Africa/Brass being a soon-to-be-forgotten classic - go buy it and play to that one and learn a thing or two about mid/up-tempo driving swing - I f'ing dare you. That and if you can actually play along to his box set "Complete Classic Quartet Recordings" - and do it well, the chances of you being a good drummer are very good)

-"Penn's Landing" - Clarence Penn's title track of said album (this guy is one of the premier drummers out there in jazz and it is a shame that 1. more people don't know about him; and 2. He doesn't get the chance to record his own stuff -which is great - great songwriter - and is stuck in a lot of boring projects...)

-"Sweet Bettsy From Pike" - Matt Wilson's "As Wave Follows Wave" - any time you can play along to Matt Wilson, Dewey Redman, and Cecil McBee - you'd better do it - and it's in 3! My favorite! Oh boy!

-Radiohead's "In Rainbows" album - and "Videotape" being the sleeper on that one - so much you can do with it - it's disgusting!

"I Like To Ride My Bicycle" by Queen, and anything by Ornette Coleman or Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass.

-Billy Jean - Michael Jackson (so much fun to just sit in the pocket and play that simple simple groove and drive the song as much as you can while playing so simply. Also fun little experiments to try and keep that straight groove going with the slightest embellishments here and there to see if you can add or detract from the song - interesting excerice - and I'll play along to this track at least 5 times a week - And I'll hear other drummers play along to it here - I leave my drums on the stage and late-night people get up and play to the music - and you can tell instantly whether they can play or not when this comes on)!

I want to hear you play this, E! Do a clip when you can : )

Back