Playing your drums in the basement: Is that bad for them?

SergiuM

I play my drums in my basement, and it's not the driest place in the world down there in terms of humidity. Can slight humidity warp my drums, and is there anything you can recommend to prevent it?

The basement is where I play. I run 2 dehumidifiers in my basement and it stays dry as a bone. Then again, I'm fortunate enough to not have water issues.

Additionally, I have my set on a built riser in the event the hot water tank ever leaked (never has fortunately).

I also have a sump pump and a back up sump pump installed should the electric ever go out (which has from time to time during inclement weather).

That's the key - you have to keep the humidity level at normal levels if you're stuff lives in a basement. I have the exact opposite, my patio-drum room gets really hot in the summer, but since it's dry, the drums aren't affected all that much. You basically want to keep your drums in a consistent environment - if it's comfortable for you, then it should be comfortable for them. I would definitely add de-humidifiers if your basement is humid.

I live in a low-humidity environment and I have the opposite problem. If the air is too dry, that will split the grains of wood apart and eventually the shells will delaminate. This sort of thing takes decades. You often see guitarists put one of those floppy green wet tubes in their instrument to keep it damp inside.

if it's comfortable for you, then it should be comfortable for them. I would definitely add de-humidifiers if your basement is humid.

It's not very humid, I don't live down south or anything (Chicago here) so it's never uncomfortable to play. There's never really an excess amount of humidity in the air. I think it's okay, but I just wanted to make sure. I may put in a humidifier at one point.

I play in a basement, and we have an aircondition, which can remove humid in the air, and blow more dry air inside... It can also, freeze/warm...

It would be as playing in the living room, if it's too humid it will hurt the drums... same goes for basement.

Opinions will vary on this since no one has ever done a scientific study and published a paper based on a theory concerning drums in particular..Drum builders and wood experts along with metalurgists suggest a mean temperatue of 65 to 80 degrees fahrenheit,and a humidity level of between 40 to 50 %

Wood shells are porous and will adsorb water in the form of excess humidity.Wood will then start to swell,causing delamination of plys and warping,as well as wrap seperation..Excess tempature can essentially cause the same type of damage.

Excess humidity levels will cause chrome and any ferros metal(iron based like steel)to rust and corrode.Even other metals like aluminum will oxidize ,and brass and bronze to tarnish and corrode.

Get yourself a hydrometer and take a reading where your drums are.These battery operated devices will measure the humidity in the air.Take several readings over the course of several days to establish a mean humidity level.That will tell you if you need to humidify,or dehumidify your practice/storage area.The same would apply to a thermometer.

The real enemy here is oxygen which is present in the air and in water.Oxygen is what really causes everything to rust/oxidize/corrode and break down.

Steve B

Opinions will vary on this since no one has ever done a scientific study and published a paper based on a theory concerning drums in particular..Drum builders and wood experts along with metalurgists suggest a mean temperatue of 65 to 80 degrees fahrenheit,and a humidity level of between 40 to 50 %

Wood shells are porous and will adsorb water in the form of excess humidity.Wood will then start to swell,causing delamination of plys and warping,as well as wrap seperation..Excess tempature can essentially cause the same type of damage.

Excess humidity levels will cause chrome and any ferros metal(iron based like steel)to rust and corrode.Even other metals like aluminum will oxidize ,and brass and bronze to tarnish and corrode.

Get yourself a hydrometer and take a reading where your drums are.These battery operated devices will measure the humidity in the air.Take several readings over the course of several days to establish a mean humidity level.That will tell you if you need to humidify,or dehumidify your practice/storage area.The same would apply to a thermometer.

The real enemy here is oxygen which is present in the air and in water.Oxygen is what really causes everything to rust/oxidize/corrode and break down.

Steve B

Great information. I do have heating/AC in the basement too.

My band used to practice in an area without air conditioning and all we had were fans. It never did anything to the shells, but my hardware has spots of rust on it... Especially the rims. Even the guitars were getting rusty pick ups and screws.
I would only worry about dry weather for the wood though.

Really guys? Is all this fussing necessary? I fixed up an old set of Gretschs that were left in a basement, probably for at least 20 years, without the bottom heads and hoops, and the reso bass drum head and hoop, were long gone. The damages? Two small spots on the wrap on the bass drum, the die cast hoops were toast all around, and the floor tom had been dropped on the bare edge, so it was split open. With some clamps and wood glue, it was back to normal!

Even with only a hoop on one side, none of the drums had gone out of round, except the floor tom where it had been dropped, and that drum still fit a proper head and hoop, and, for all intents and purposes, is back into round. I replaced/repainted the hoops (found NOS hoops for the toms, and a lone 60s bass drum hoop!), and replaced about half of the bass drum lugs and claws. The tom and snare lugs polished up fine, and the drums sing.

I guess I can image how a singular piece of wood in a 1-ply instrument (such as an upright bass or violin) would need extra care, but a 6-ply drum? Isn't it just too rigid? Also, more traditional instruments are carved into shape, but drums are steam-bent. So long as the glue holds, why would a drum leave its current shape? The same would go for solid shell drums that have re-rings to hold their shape (another "ply" in a sense). The chrome and metal parts seem to be in much greater danger from humidity than the shell ever could be, but if you polish them up from time to time, there's no reason the chrome can't last forever.

The basement is where I play. I run 2 dehumidifiers in my basement and it stays dry as a bone. Then again, I'm fortunate enough to not have water issues.

Additionally, I have my set on a built riser in the event the hot water tank ever leaked (never has fortunately).

I also have a sump pump and a back up sump pump installed should the electric ever go out (which has from time to time during inclement weather).

Same here. I use 1 dehumidifier and it gets the job done. I finally got around to building a drum riser during the summer. Basements are just humid places. I live in Alabama and the humidity here is insane especially in the summer. As long as you don't have any leaks and you run a dehumidifier i think you'll be fine. Still though as a percaution i would build a riser just in case something was to happen your drums would be off the floor.

Same here. I use 1 dehumidifier and it gets the job done. I finally got around to building a drum riser during the summer. Basements are just humid places. I live in Alabama and the humidity here is insane especially in the summer. As long as you don't have any leaks and you run a dehumidifier i think you'll be fine. Still though as a percaution i would build a riser just in case something was to happen your drums would be off the floor.

I live an opposite climate where the hot weather of summer lasts about 8 weeks long and then it's onward to cold and eventually snow where temps can get as low as - 5 sometimes.

During the winter the insulation in the basement is paramount for comfort. Installing high density spray foam along the rim of the house made a huge impact in comfort (and hvac bills). The basement concrete walls are also highly insulated as well.

Additionally I also have a heat run near my gear to help keep the basement dry during the winter as the dehumidifiers really don't work that much in the winter.

Back