Brushes on Clear Heads

theuntitleddrummer

Can brushes work well on clear heads?
I want to play some jazz but I want to make sure if brushes can be played on clear heads.
Thanks

Edit: Also the reason why I'm asking is because I have clear heads and I like the sound they give. I know coated are better but I still want to play with clear. That's why I want to know if its possible.

Last edited:
Just to be on the same page: I assume you are talking about using brushes in a traditional jazz sense where horizontal strokes are used as much or more as vertical strokes.

If so, I just don't see it working well.

Brushes are subtle but a clear head would make them inaudible in most situations. I know I've heard of some intensely quiet gigs where a clear head might work. However, the same gig may not allow for other sounds like bass drum or even hi-hat to be used.

You may want to try some of Evans G-Plus 'coated' heads. They are more frosted than coated so they have a mix of both. There is definitely enough texture on G-Pluses to provide substance on horizontal strokes.

Once you lose texture on a head it just is not a good environment for brush playing.

Jim

Last edited:
Brushes wont work well on coated heads. Thats mostly why coated heads were used and are still around today. You can talk about the slightly 'warmer' sound they offer, but essentially, the coating is there for a larger reason - to make brushes work!

Brushes on a clear head are just slightly better than the sound of one hand clapping.

Brushes on a clear head are just slightly better than the sound of one hand clapping.

Ya, or even maybe even like stripping all your clothes off, and covering your naked body with olive oil, and sliding across a marble floor.

Keep a coated head on your snare for brushes. The toms can stay clear if you want them to. Brushes simply don't make any swish sound at all on clear snare heads.

Ya, or even maybe even like stripping all your clothes off, and covering your naked body with olive oil, and sliding across a marble floor.

I found that if you stack pillows along the sides of the room, they will gently arrest your movement.

Last edited:
I have been using baby oil. Its much cheaper than Olive oil. Especially Extra Virgin Olive oil.

Keep a coated head on your snare for brushes. The toms can stay clear if you want them to. Brushes simply don't make any swish sound at all on clear snare heads.

Thanks,
Thats the answer I needed because my snare is coated..
I just wanted to know about the toms. I love the attack of them.

I have been using baby oil. Its much cheaper than Olive oil. Especially Extra Virgin Olive oil.

I'd hate to waste good EVOO on a floor sliding pastime. That stuff is much better on pasta and vegetable dishes. I am looking for the pepper hot version the mentioned on Dirty Jobs last week.

Back