Care of your kit: cover it to control dust, etc.?

poodlesdrum

When your kit is idle, do you cover it with something to avoid dust accumulating over time, ?

I have thrown a sheet over the thing before. Not all that often to be honest, but I can certainly recall covering it up at times over the years.

I live in a very dusty area near the beach so I try to cover it as much as I can, but it's a total drag to uncover and cover it before and after playing.

On an average week I'd say it spends two or three days beneath some blankets.

Since we're at it, I'd like to know how you guys clean your lacquered drums.. 'cause I just wipe the dust off mine and I get those annoying tiny scratches. :(

Cheers

Since we're at it, I'd like to know how you guys clean your lacquered drums.. 'cause I just wipe the dust off mine and I get those annoying tiny scratches. :(

I've found a wipe over with a micro-fibre cloth to be pretty kind with the lacquered finish. Just a soft damp rag for a more thorough clean.

When your kit is idle, do you cover it with something to avoid dust accumulating over time, ?

Definitely !! In fact it is covered the whole time that I am not playing it.

The absolute best thing is a silk sleeping bag liner - they're antistatic and don't absorb moisture and they only cost about $50AUD.

Mine is covered with a sheet whenever I'm not playing it. This is to cut down on dust as much as possible.....

I should consider doing this since it is so dusty in my garage.

I've gotten completely out of the habit, which is too bad because I hate cleaning it. Time to find that sheet again I suppose.

I always cover the kit when it's set to the side at shows while we wait for our set.

At home, I cover my kit to control the kids more than dust haha!

When ever the niece and nephews are over, the kit gets covered up. They can play with my sons kit....because mine has the gong.

4 kids+Gong= nothing good can come of this.

At home, I cover my kit to control the kids more than dust haha!

...or inconsiderate family members or visitors, helping themselves!
I have a few guitars, nothing exceptional, but keep them under wrap, except for a "bait" one. "Oh sorry J.... someone stepped on the Les Paul, the neck is broken!"

And I am not going to mention the cousin busy dupping my collection of obscure zydeco CDs, and arguing with me about it after I asked him... er, whole other topic!

Back