Food before shows

Mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm....Sounds good!

Speaking of food. Does anyone have any good recipes? Oh sorry I forgot we're on a drum forum.

You need ask..? Chicken. Drumsticks, of course. For seasonings, if you like, sage, rosemary and thyme.

I like eating 2 or 3 hours beforehand. I only eat good carbs (veggies, whole grains) to avoid the inevitable crash later, and make sure I eat some protein. I can't do alcohol at all, so water is the thing to drink, for me. No sugar either. With whole unprocessed foods, the kind you find on the outer (refrigerated) aisles of the supermarket, and water, it's all the energy my body needs.
Providing yourself with the foods that your body requires is the single most important thing you can do for yourself. If you give your body the wrong fuel (sugars, white bread, red bull)...it's like running a gasoline engine on a fuel other than gasoline, and your body won't "run" as good as it is capable of.

red bull)...it's like running a gasoline engine on a fuel other than gasoline, and your body won't "run" as good as it is capable of.

Dave Lombardo fuels himself on red bull and it doesn't do him much harm. But just eating healthily in general is just common sense. Whatever you do.

I used to have a whole series of what I would eat and drink to make sure I was in the best shape and mindset before a gig, but now, when I play gigs more nights than I have off, and occasionally have 2 or 3 full length gigs in the same day, I have learned that you just gotta do what you can. Yesterday we played a music festival on empty stomachs, because Google Maps was WAY off on how long it would take to get there, and we basically arrived and ran right onto the stage. After that, our options were...cheesesteaks. So I wolfed one down, and we were on the road to a community pool party we were playing. Got there with about 30 minutes before we had to hit our first note, so we threw the gear up, soundchecked, and started right away. Between sets, we were brought cold chicken nuggets and fries. Whatever. Gotta eat...all of this time playing was outdoors in 90 degree heat. Still have to play at the top of your game though.

I enjoy alcohol with playing - not a bad life, playing music and enjoying a few drinks! rQUOTE]

Beer, is there anything it can't do?

Whatever Marco Minnemen eats to play like he does, that's what I want. It's gotta be the food!

I tend to carb up in the morning for an evening/night show, catch a Jamba Juice with some energy boosters and protein in it on the way to the club to set up and get me through the show, and plenty of gatorade or water to get through the set. I try not to drink alcohol prior to the set, but after everything's packed up and taken to the car... well, that's a whole different story.

I always have something to eat before I play.... I don't like the weak feeling you can get when you have not eaten in awhile from low blood sugar...or shakes. So I have something but not right before I play. Plenty of water also ( much like when I bike) is also a good thing...cleans you out and makes me feel much more clear headed.

i eat mostly "food" (more lyk pure sugar) that doesnt get to heavy while your playing (i hate that feeling of being kinda heavy), before the show, wit plenty of Coke (yes i know, bad for your health) but all the sugar keeps me real awake, and gets me pumped up with energy. I cant really call it eating because i eat normally at breakfast and at lunch but i dont really eat anything consistent in the evening before the show. By the way my band plays metal, and i with all the headbanging and stuff i dont think its recomended to eat tons of pizza/pasta.

I eat about three bananas forthe potssauim to keep me limber and i drink some water when the gigs over i chow down.I once had a full three course meal then played a gig what a mistake that was.

I was wondering what you guys eat before show's. Mine is pasta/ spagetti. and I drink
gatorade and maybe eat a candy bar. What food do you think is the best fuel for 3 set .
cya Denny

More important than food (within reason) is WATER, you should ALWAYS hydrate before a gig. Getting overheated and dehydrated can make you feel like crap during a gig.

Heavy coffee drinking and alcohol consumption depletes your hydration also, so be careful with that as well.

Eating PIZZA as your main sorce of fuel will get you DEAD just like all the pizza guzzling players in the Ramones. RIP Joey and Johnny.

Last edited:
Anything w/ alot of carbs so i have energy. I try not to drink too much just because i dont want to have to 'excuse' myself halfway into the show. But i usually take a few sips of water and bring a water bottle w/ me.

Back