New heads for my 805?

805Drummer

Gold Member
Hey guys...it's me again=D

I'm going to Guitar Center this weekend (with a $25 gift card, I might add), and I'm looking to replace all the batter heads, except for my bass drum, because it already has a Super Kick II. It's for my PDP 805 (see thread title, username, etc. etc.), which is made of birch. Sizes, if relevant, are 14" snare, 13" rack tom, and 16" and 18" floor toms. Now the question...what heads to get? There are SO MANY! I already have a Remo Ebony Pinstripe for my rack tom, but I want to replace that too, to have a more consistent kit. I'm looking for the kind of sound in most pop/punk/rock/metal music. You know, that type...

Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
I would put it towards a skII or EMAD 2 for your 24" 805 and sell the export.

I might eventually do that, but I'm happy with my bass drum right now. Plus, that will cost $50.

I'm looking to replace just 1 or two heads on the kit now, but when I get more money, I'd like to get matching heads that I'll be happy with.

You've been here long enough to know that there are a few hundred threads already on "what heads for my kit?". You'll find more information in one minute searching than you will waiting for us to respond, but here goes nothing...

Buy coated 2 ply heads for your tom batters.
- G2
- Ambassador
- Emperor

Do you like the sound of your drums? Or would you like to muffle most of those overtones?

The Ambassador and G2's will give you a more traditional sound, while the Emperors will muffle some overtones and make the drum sound "rounder".

Snare:
- Evans Genera Dry
- Remo PC rev dot
- Emperor X

The Genera Dry will give you a killer crack on a birch snare. The PC rev dot is a warm head with lots of body, this is what I use. The Emperor X is a punching bag, it can take a beating.

Of course there are other possibilities, but these are just some good all around heads that would probably suit your needs quite well.

You've been here long enough to know that there are a few hundred threads already on "what heads for my kit?". You'll find more information in one minute searching than you will waiting for us to respond, but here goes nothing...

I know, but I was looking for some specific heads for my kit. As for your reccomendations, I'll take it into consideration. However, what about Aquarian heads? My friend just got Studio Xs, and they sound and look great! Plus, I read they're easier to tune. What would be good for the music I play from that brand?

I know, but I was looking for some specific heads for my kit. As for your reccomendations, I'll take it into consideration. However, what about Aquarian heads? My friend just got Studio Xs, and they sound and look great! Plus, I read they're easier to tune. What would be good for the music I play from that brand?

The Performance 2's would sound great on your kit, but I've never been a fan of Aquarian. their heads just don't suit me.

Back