CAD Mics

flamlick

Alright, I've searched threads and forums high and low. I'm looking to buy a set of drum mics in the near future for live sound and some recording on a tight budget. I've gotten so many mixed reviews on the CAD mic packages. Short and simple. Are they bad mics or are they simply just not as good as higher end mics?

Alright, I've searched threads and forums high and low. I'm looking to buy a set of drum mics in the near future for live sound and some recording on a tight budget. I've gotten so many mixed reviews on the CAD mic packages. Short and simple. Are they bad mics or are they simply just not as good as higher end mics?

They are not terrible for their price. But I think the Samson packs are considerably better, still at a budget price.
You can always get 3 SM57s for about the same price, though; they are keepers and will get you a nice sound.

Fox.

I don't know about the drum packs but the M179 are top shelf as tom mics and Overheads

I have a mic pack of CADs.

I bought them when my D112 got ruined when a singer accidently kicked a cup of beer into it a few years ago. They're OK for live sound reinforcement and a couple of the mics are pretty good. The two pencil condensor are a little bright but have a roll off. The kick mic is nothing special. I use an Earthworks kick pad with it to scoop out any remaining mids and I get a an easy kick sound fast by pre EQing.

The way I look at it is that if you don't mind spending $25 per mic, you get an inexpensive set that you won't cry over if you're rough on gear.

I have three SM57s and three mid level MXL condensor mics that give me good results in my low tech home recording studio.

In a nutshell, don't get cheap mic packs if you intend to use your mics more for recording and you're more particular about recording quality. I primarily record only to listen to myself to improve.

The Samson mic pack is a little better in quality than the CADs but I think one of the best mic packs out there is the Audix pack with the F series mics. A little more money though. The CADs are good as a knock-around set.

When in doubt save your money and acquire better mics one at a time. It's worth it.

Checked out the samson 8kit. Looks awesome. I've done some shopping and reviewing and figured out that for about the same price after cables, stands, and a board to run the mics through I could either do a set like the CAD and Samson kits and have a mic for everything OR I could get a good three mic set up with a quality bass drum mic (sennheiser e602 or shure B52, around $130 ebay) and 2 decent overheads (Behringer B-1 or mxl 990, $50 - 80 ebay). Again this is 90% for live set ups at most 2-3 times a month in small to medium venues and some recording for demos and practice. So given the parameters of the use of the mics, where do I spend my money?

I get it that people want to save as much money as you can, but these packs by Samson, CAD, Behringer, Nady....although OK, are not great. If you realize that as you get more serious, you'll eventually be buying more mics and such and don't mind it, then that's OK. But I would rather "buy once and cry once". You would do much better if you bought a bunch of Shure SM57s or 58s and a couple of good pencil condensers, like Crown CM700's (not too expensive, but good).

If you're budget cannot afford that, then maybe look at the Shure PG series mics. All would be rugged and able to give you good sounds. Although I own a CAD GXL2400 side-address condenser mic, I can't recommend any of their drum mics.

I could either do a set like the CAD and Samson kits and have a mic for everything OR I could get a good three mic set up with a quality bass drum mic..

So given the parameters of the use of the mics, where do I spend my money?

I would say go with fewer mics.

I'll tell you, it's no picnic mic'ing up every piece on the kit. I like the sound of close mic'ing but I like better the sound and ease of using just four mics.

Kick, snare, hats and one overhead. It's not too much work to get a good kick and snare sound and then blend in one overhead for an overall kit sound picture. Then it's pretty easy to get the high hat mic up in the mix just right.

Two overheads is cool but depending on the room and the other gear set up it's trickier to use two. If my toms sound weak, I lower the overhead a bit and if they sound too heavy I just lighten up on them when playing.

If I were buying these mics now I would get an Audix D6 and an Audix I5. For condensor mics I would get a Shure SM27 and a Shure SM81.

That's about $950 new, maybe $500-$600 used.

Back