Drums in basement?

Omnivium

Hey, buying my drums tomorrow and they will be in my basement, my humid/damp basement, what are somethings I can do to protect the wood? I heard a plastic cover does the trick any other suggestions? I have my dehumidifier running right now but I need more. My basement is fully complete and everything, its flooded multiple times but it's pretty much fixed now, sump pumps are life savers, no more flooding haha
Thanks, sorry if this is the wrong area to be posting this, seems like the most appropriate one!

Living in New Hampshire I've had my share of flooded basements.
Get those drums up off the floor!
I'm assuming the floor is concrete? Build a small stage or something to put them on. Concrete "sweats" when there's moisture in the airl and you don't want that seeping into your kick(s).
If it's a finished basement and there's still a possibility of flooding you'd want them up off the carpet/floor anyway.
Also, open any windows if it's warm and dry outside.
Close them before you play so ya don't piss off the neighbors. : )

You could buy a 50 lb burlap bag of rice at one of those wholesale stores and put it near the drums. It would work like a desiccant. I built a riser for my drums to get them off my floor. Plus they sound better, the riser acts like a subwoofer in a way. That and a dehumidifier really should do the trick.

neither extreme is good for bent wood....or any wood for that matter

a climate controlled environment is of course best ...but unfortunately not always possible

covering drums with a light fabric helps keep basement debris from gathering and eventually turning to corrosion when it dries out

neither extreme is good for bent wood....or any wood for that matter

a climate controlled environment is of course best ...but unfortunately not always possible

covering drums with a light fabric helps keep basement debris from gathering and eventually turning to corrosion when it dries out

It would be good to know what is the optimum humidity for wood, or what kinds of wood. Room temperature and 50 percent humidity? Who knows that kind of thing?

When the basement flooded in the past, how high did the water get? I've had this issue before, so I built a small riser using 4'x8' sheets of OSB sub floor braced with some treated 2x4's. Covered it with an ugly rug and it did the trick.

Dont put a plastic cover over the drums. That will trap the moisture coming up from the floor. Dont do it.
I wax ALL the drums and ALL the hardware straight away. I have had drums in a humid basement for years and not a spot of corrosion. Not so much a a tiny pit on the chrome.

Thanks everyone, and me and my dad fixed the flooding problem last summer. When my basement would flood it floods on the other side of my room doesn't get where I have my drums and we have a sump pump back there now, we're good, no more flooding. Also my basement is fully completed so it has carpets not a wet concrete floor.

Back