4 pedals ... only 1 winner!

Spirit_uS

Hello fellow drummers!
For a long time now I've been thinking about buying a double-bass pedal and I finally got the money and after some research and brand preference I decided to buy a Yamaha one.
I looked through a couple of shops here in my country and found out that the only pedals accessible for me at the moment are:
8210 - 444$
8215 - 388$
8500C - 380$
9500C - 430$
As I browsed through the forums and pictures I found out that the 8210 and 8215 are only single-chained. Though they have this old cooler look I'm worried and I'd feel safer if I had a double-chained pedal. Am I wrong? So checking through the 8500 and 9500 the only difference I found was that they have different beaters? 50$ more for 2 different beaters? That's weird. Plus I'd prefer to go with the round felt beaters anyways I think, because I'm simply used to them. So do you think the 8500C is a good choice? Are there any more differences?
I definitely want to buy a new pedal to get all the warranties and stuff plus I'm from Europe and from a country that doesn't have e-bay so that's a no way for me.
Thanks for all your input.
Spirit_uS

//edit: I also found a 9310 for almost 600$ ... that's a bit overpriced though.

I would go with the 9500C pedal! (or the 9500D DirectDrive pedal)
Very nice pedal!

+1 for round felt beaters!

Hello fellow drummers!
For a long time now I've been thinking about buying a double-bass pedal and I finally got the money and after some research and brand preference I decided to buy a Yamaha one.
I looked through a couple of shops here in my country and found out that the only pedals accessible for me at the moment are:
8210 - 444$
8215 - 388$
8500C - 380$
9500C - 430$
As I browsed through the forums and pictures I found out that the 8210 and 8215 are only single-chained. Though they have this old cooler look I'm worried and I'd feel safer if I had a double-chained pedal. Am I wrong? So checking through the 8500 and 9500 the only difference I found was that they have different beaters? 50$ more for 2 different beaters? That's weird. Plus I'd prefer to go with the round felt beaters anyways I think, because I'm simply used to them. So do you think the 8500C is a good choice? Are there any more differences?
I definitely want to buy a new pedal to get all the warranties and stuff plus I'm from Europe and from a country that doesn't have e-bay so that's a no way for me.
Thanks for all your input.
Spirit_uS

//edit: I also found a 9310 for almost 600$ ... that's a bit overpriced though.

Another difference between the two (8500 to 9500) is the 8500 has longer footboards than the 9500...if you like long boards get the 8500

Hey Spirit,

Another difference between the Yamah 8500 and the 9500 is that the 9500 has the ability to change the footboard angle, the 8500 does not. As Scorch stated, the 8500 has a longer footboard than the 9500 - I have both, and I think I like the 8500 better for heel toes (I have a size 11 shoe).

Now, one thing to note on my end - I only have the single bass pedal, not the double, so I really can't comment on the "double" aspect, but the double and single versions of the 8500 as well as the 9500 are physically the same. I do have a double 8500 on order to try out.

Regarding your decision to go Yamaha 8500 or 9500, you get a big pat on the back. I just recently went through an extensive shootout of single pedals and hihats with one of my sons (also a drummer). We went through:

Yamaha 8500
Yamaha 9500
Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide
Tama Iron Cobra Flexiglide
DW 9000
DW 5000
Pearl Eliminator
Trick Pro V

The crystal clear winners to both of us were the Yamaha 8500 and 9500 and the DW 5000, hands down. There was something we didn't like about each of the other pedals when we compared. It may have been minor, and if it was the only pedal available we may not have noticed, but when you do a side by side, you notice it because you are completely focused on that one thing. Understand that there is not a bad pedal in the bunch, but those were the pedals that appealed to us. I REALLY like the 8500, though.

Anyway, long winded, but those are my thoughts - hope that helps. Have a great day.

All The Best !!
Tom

Back