New Kit DW Performance

I used to use emads a lot, but the damn plastic ring kept breaking so I went back to PS3 which sounded better on the oaks. So now I have the dw with emad 1, my 20" magstar with aquarian sk1, my oaks with ps3 and slingerlands with a coated ps3. I bring another kit home my wife will make me a coffin.

The ambassador x's are sounding nice on these shells. at least to my ears. It will take a few live shows to dial everything in I'm sure.

I used to use emads a lot, but the damn plastic ring kept breaking so I went back to PS3 which sounded better on the oaks. So now I have the dw with emad 1, my 20" magstar with aquarian sk1, my oaks with ps3 and slingerlands with a coated ps3. I bring another kit home my wife will make me a coffin.

The ambassador x's are sounding nice on these shells. at least to my ears. It will take a few live shows to dial everything in I'm sure.

Ha! @ the coffin statement lol

i just finished ordering a 12" clear CS drumhead. A month or two ago i bought a brass artstar ES snare and it came with a clear CS on it. I swapped it for a coated one and had the clear one laying around. Two days ago i put it on my floor tom. It sounded pretty darn good at JAW so im gonna try one out on the 12".

I am a long time fan of the PS3. Those heads can do anything that you ask of them.
I use both coated and clear types as batters.

So I had a guy look at my broken hoop. He said he will try but no guarantee. The break is pretty much all the way through. I'm not worried about the seller not making good on the hoop. Just wondering if anyone ever had to order a part through DW and how long it may take to complete the process?

So I had a guy look at my broken hoop. He said he will try but no guarantee. The break is pretty much all the way through. I'm not worried about the seller not making good on the hoop. Just wondering if anyone ever had to order a part through DW and how long it may take to complete the process?

DW only sells through dealers. Might have to ask the shop it was in to order one. I think my last turn around time was 2 weeks

Congratulations on your new kit. Can you give us your observations on the quality of the wrap job on the Performance kits? Are the seams tight? Do you think there's any chance the seams will start to lift over time? I've been considering a kit in the Performance line but would like to go with a wrapped finish so they'll hold up better for travel. Thanks.

Hi Charlie

Looks like a quality wrap to me, however I have yet to gig with the kit. I was hoping to break it in this weekend but due to the broken hoop it may have to wait until next week.

I don't expect any issues, if I do you will hear :)

Awesome buy man! I actually have the exact same kit and holy crap it sounds sooo good. The wrap is top notch I can assure you I just went on an 11 day tour with it and have kinda dinged it up a bit over the years and it still looks great.

I also play EMAD, been using them about 3 years. I hear a lot of people say the plasting ring comes off but it has never happened to me, guess I am lucky.

I had kind of a revelation when I took out my bass drum pillows. The kick rules with them, but if you like a lot of resonance like me, it really takes them to the next level.

Enjoy the kit man IMO you can't go wrong with it.

Congrats on the new kit and especially on getting a good deal. Hope all is working out re- the replacement hoop for the bass drum.

Btw, regarding heads are you pretty much strictly a two ply person? I only ask because I run coated G1's on my toms and snare and love the sound and feel, but to each their own preference

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for making me feel like I made a good choice :) The hoop was repaired, great job too, can't even tell it was split. I have a single ply emad with the thin ring and the DW pillow just barely touching the batter. Tuned pretty low. I like it. Regarding two ply heads. I have clear emps on the drums now and they sound nice and punchy, tuned a bit higher than normal for me but the drums seem to really resonate nice. I have coated evans g2 on one of my other kits and they sound great too. On my oak customs the coated ambassador x single ply sound great. I always change things up. Keeps me motivated too.

By the way my oak customs are for sale, great price too, with bags.

Hi,

Thanks for making me feel like I made a good choice :) The hoop was repaired, great job too, can't even tell it was split. I have a single ply emad with the thin ring and the DW pillow just barely touching the batter. Tuned pretty low. I like it. Regarding two ply heads. I have clear emps on the drums now and they sound nice and punchy, tuned a bit higher than normal for me but the drums seem to really resonate nice. I have coated evans g2 on one of my other kits and they sound great too. On my oak customs the coated ambassador x single ply sound great. I always change things up. Keeps me motivated too.

By the way my oak customs are for sale, great price too, with bags.

Glad to hear the hoops fixed 2bsticks!

Kind of sounds like the way i tune my drums.

Hows she feel overall to you? she performs to your expectations?

also, you might have to change your sig my friend... :)

Well, finally got to use the new kit last night. Had fun with it, need to tweak the bass. Maybe put a PS3 on? The Evans was nice and had nice low end but lacked a bit of attack, maybe a mylar pad?

Attachments

• dw1.jpg
    dw1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 365
Well, finally got to use the new kit last night. Had fun with it, need to tweak the bass. Maybe put a PS3 on? The Evans was nice and had nice low end but lacked a bit of attack, maybe a mylar pad?

very nice!

try the pad first. you might need that extra thickness. you are using an EMAD1 right?
im using EMAD2 for now and its got attack. when im done with it im going powerstroke

Between my EMAD and PS3 I like the PS3 more. More boom (depth and punch) for the buck. Speaking of the bucks $$$, how does your DW compare with the Yamaha on sound? I know heads and tuning make it an apples to oranges comparison but I'd like to know which set sounds the best to you and is easiest to set up, tune and or play? Who's got the better hardware? Looks aside and that sparkle is sweet and a good reason to trade, but are the differences really there?

To be honest with you. I think the Yamaha kit is a better made drum. Little details, for example Yamaha uses a metal plate on the inside of the shell of the bass drum to attach the spurs, the DW (can only speak for the performance series) does not. It's only one gig so far but the DW toms really sounded great, the bass I am still trying to fine tune. Not sure if it's the maple or the HVX technology but they tuned up easy.

Nothing wrong with the Yamaha Oak sound though. That kit sounds great too and is built like a tank. Has yet to sell and if it does I will most likely hate myself. Just can't justify keeping 4 sets.

To be honest with you. I think the Yamaha kit is a better made drum. ....
Nothing wrong with the Yamaha Oak sound though. That kit sounds great too and is built like a tank. Has yet to sell and if it does I will most likely hate myself. Just can't justify keeping 4 sets.

Was kind of wondering why you didn't just set a couple of the Yamaha drums aside if you were looking to downsize.
Sometimes you just want to try something different, I guess.
I noticed your Oaks on ebay - someone's going to get a good deal on them.

Hi Wildill,

I was only using the 12, 16 and 22 on the oaks recently. I could have just kept doing that and saved myself the expense but once I see something I find a way to justify it. Also the price was right.

It just seemed like a waste to have the other oak drums sitting around. Figured I could maybe sell it while it's in great shape too. Your right someone will get a great deal. I also added bags too.

I'm also going to be 61 next week so humping gear has a lot to do with it as well.

To be honest with you. I think the Yamaha kit is a better made drum. Little details, for example Yamaha uses a metal plate on the inside of the shell of the bass drum to attach the spurs, the DW (can only speak for the performance series) does not. It's only one gig so far but the DW toms really sounded great, the bass I am still trying to fine tune. Not sure if it's the maple or the HVX technology but they tuned up easy.

Mine dont have them either (eco-x). i assume they come on bassdrums that have toms attached to the top (for added support) kind of like the support plate that works in conjuction with the tom mounts on some kits

Well, I have 3 gigs under my belt with this kit. One indoor and two outdoor gigs. I fitted the kit with Remo clear emps on toms with the stock reso's and I am using a SK1 and replaced the DW pillow with the Evans EQ pad just barely touching the batter. Kits is sounding real nice. Love the two toms, they really resonate, maybe I got lucky and found the sweet spots?

Also mounted the tom upside down :), not use to this mounting yet. Thank God I caught it before we started. Never heard of am MP kit lol

Nice workingmans kit IMO. Will not break the bank and sounds great too. Smart move DW.

Back