drum shield

sillywabbit

I will be putting my drumkit in the garage and planned on putting a drumshield behind my kit to help keep some of the noise from entering the house. Had a few quesions:

1) has anyone ordered from drumperfect.com? I found them on ebay but they don't have any contact information on their website.

2) I thought about using some adhesive to bind some acoustic foam to my drum shield. Has anyone tried this with success? I know it won't be studio quality but i would like to keep some of the noise reflection down as well.

Thanks

Never owned one myself but from what I've been told these things will do diddly-squat in terms of noise reduction.

As Todd noted, a drum shield won't do much for keeping noise from leaking out into the neighborhood. They tend to cut out the high-frequency cut and bleed a little (which is their primary use, to prevent certain things from getting into other mics on stage and to keep the drum mics mixed more cleanly), but the bass freqs will just rumble right next door. And if you buy a four-panel or five-panel (in other words, not 360 degrees) drum shield, you're reflecting the highs in another direction.

Foam will cut down sound reflection a lot more than will the drum shield. But for true soundproofing, you need a room-within-a-room, and those are costly.

Do a search on soundproofing or sound reduction here on the forum and you'll easily find a hundred threads, all of which will say what I just said.

I recently started playing christian music at church. Being an old rock and roller it's taken some getting used to. We surrounded my kit with a 5 panel 1/4" shield. It keeps the drums out of the mics, but doesn't Dampen the sound of the kit.

As Todd noted, a drum shield won't do much for keeping noise from leaking out into the neighborhood. They tend to cut out the high-frequency cut and bleed a little (which is their primary use, to prevent certain things from getting into other mics on stage and to keep the drum mics mixed more cleanly), but the bass freqs will just rumble right next door. And if you buy a four-panel or five-panel (in other words, not 360 degrees) drum shield, you're reflecting the highs in another direction.

Foam will cut down sound reflection a lot more than will the drum shield. But for true soundproofing, you need a room-within-a-room, and those are costly.

Do a search on soundproofing or sound reduction here on the forum and you'll easily find a hundred threads, all of which will say what I just said.

Exactly what he said!!! There are no shortcuts to sound reduction and a sound shield will not achieve what you want it to.

As already noted, only about 2 feet of concrete can significantly reduce low-frequency soundwaves. For studio settings, you need something pretty beefy like a full-on ClearSonic enclosure with all the bells and whistles. For live settings (especially small venues), low-end sound is not the real issue; it's all the high-frequency clutter that creates the loud and muddy mess that musicians hate. For your garage setup you could probably just stack haybales around your kit - as long as you don't mind setting up a housing development for rodents in your garage. In all seriousness, haybales would probably be pretty effective; they have an R40 insulation rate for heat and cold, and that translates into sound insulation as well. For your garage, aesthetics wouldn't be a big issue; you'd just want to moisture proof them if you live in a humid area.

Last edited:
Back