Question on PDP X7

M

Mark Ahle

The "Pacific Drums by DW X7 Maple Finish Ply 7-Piece Shell Pack" is an all maple pack for $750. Thats a great price for an all maple set (with 7 peices, by the way) and it looks pretty good too.

For a long time now, Ive been stuck on the the Mapex Pro-M, but ive been re-thinking things now.

In your opinion, which do you think is the best set?

Gretsch Catalina Maple------$750 (6 peice)
Mapex Pro M--------------------$650 (ON SALE, standard 5 peice)
PDP X7 Maple------------------$750 (7 peice)

Also, any other MAPLE kits under $900 sould be let known here.

thanks a bunch!

-MarkyMark

Heres a new dillema I just encountered...

PDP has 2 sets that include maple...

1) Pacific Drums by DW X7 Maple 7-Piece Shell Pack (http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/PDP-X7-Maple-7Piece-Shell-Pack?sku=581619)

2) Pacific Drums by DW X7 Maple Finish Ply 7-Piece Shell Pack (http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...Maple-Finish-Ply-7Piece-Shell-Pack?sku=581618)

There is a $150 difference--is it just because the more expensive set has nicer finishes? And what is the difference between "Maple" and "Maple Finish Ply"

Thanks

and my first question still remains!

-MarkyMark

I think the price also has something to do with the actual quality of the maple shell used in the drum-kit.

I must admit that I haven't run into a maple PDP x7 kit, but I have tried a Gretsch Catilina Maple and I was simply blown away at the quality of it. It's really well made for the price.

I suggest you go to your drum-shop and try a couple of these out before you take the leap of faith and buy a kit off the net.

Look into Ddrum. What kind of a set up are you looking for? A seven piece? Or are you just looking for more drums for you money.

finishply refers to the finish, whether it's a wrap (finishply) or a lacquer/satin oil finish. Basically, it's cheaper to chuck a pre-fabricated wrap on a drum than have someone stain the wood.

It has nothing to do with the quality of maple used, exact same kit, just a different finish.

I'm only realling looking for a 5 peice, but I set it up so I throw the small tom (10") on a crash stand with an L rod, than throw my next tom (12") on the left side of the tom mount (on the bass drum) leaving the right side completly open. I can than slide my ride in closer to me so I dont have to extend my arm out far to use the ride. And of coarse my floor tom is there, under the ride.

But if I could get a 7 peice for $750, and its a good set, I'm deff. getting it.

But how does it compare to the Gretsch Catalina Maple and Mapex Pro M?

Someone has to know!

-MarkyMark

isn't the x7 poplar? thats what i thought

I'm wondering whether this is a misprint on the website links because I wasn't aware that the X7 series has maple shells. I looked on the Pacific website and they show the X7s having poplar shells.

If it's not a mistake that would be a great deal on a maple set with those features.

Also, if you look carefully at the photos on the product pages you will see that the black kit is listed as having a 16x16 floor tom and next to that 14x12 in the picture it definitely looks like the 16x14 size that typically comes in the F.A.S.T. tom size shell pack configuration. The other kit has a X7 finish that is available in their current poplar shell lineup.

I would definitely confirm before ordering.

Ok. LIke i said before. Look into a Ddrum Maple Dominion.

This is so aggrivating! On the actual PDP site it says the shells are made of poplar, but on musicians freind there are two (2) X7 sets that include maple shells.

It says they are new products, so perhaps PDP needs to update their site. But it dosn't make sence...they should (or would) have it up first.

Mark, here's the scoop on the maple X7 direct from the horse's mouth.

Thanks for your inquiry Bill,

We are in fact making a maple kit available in the X7 series. We have them available in the next couple of months when we sell out of our X7 kits that are Poplar shells. You are able to special order a maple X7 kit right now from any of our authorized dealers http://www.dwdrums.com/info/locator.htm with a lead time of 8 weeks. I hope I was of help to you and please feel free to get back to me with anymore questions you might have.

Best Regards,

Jon Dewey
Customer Service Representative/Key Accounts
Drum Workshop, Inc.

Oh! so the maple sets must be legit, and not type-os. I mean, it does say "New Product", so it makes sense.

Do you know when that email was written?

-MarkyMark

contact DW and ask, the, call 411, ask for drum workshop in Oxnard, California, as for customer service.

Mark, I sent an email to PDP on Weds, 3/25 regarding their new Maple X7. I received the reply from PDP on Thurs, 3/26 so the info is current. Bill.

DW/PDP is usually a little slow getting the site updated.

What I saw were 5 and 7 pc. maple pre-packs. Whether they stand up to Gretsch or Mapex is largely subjective, but I will say that your options are limited with the X5/X7 kits. Forget about 18" bass drums or 13" toms. They really are a deal for someone who only wants that setup and no more. The poplar drums were nothing terrible themselves, but maple is money in the drum biz.

I just read on the other PDP/X7 thread that the new X5/X7 kits will be made in China (I know, call 60 Minutes), so take from that what you will about what you're getting into with these drums. I would have no problem with an X7 as a kind of all-purpose "gig-rig", but I wouldn't base a copy of Bozzio's setup on it. Not enough options for me.

Reposted here for your convenience:

Even more info on the new Pacific lines- Mr. Dewey's reply below, with my initial email below that [I'm sure he won't mind me reposting, since it's promoting his company's products]:

Thanks for choosing Pacific Tim,

We are glad to hear that you have a good experience with our drums. We honor our warranties and always want our customers to be satisfied.

The M5 and X7 Maple kits will be manufactured in China and will have a 7 ply shell. The Platinum shells will be made in our factory in Baja, Mexico. The Platinum series is a 9 ply maple shell that will be identical to your CX series. The M5 and the X7 kits are preconfigured shell packs while the Platinum series you can purchase individual toms to build more of a custom style kit. The finishes are similar although they are painted in 2 different factories they could have variance. I hope this helped to answer your questions for you and please feel free to get back to me with anymore questions you might have.

Best Regards,

Jon Dewey

Customer Service Representative/Key Accounts

Drum Workshop, Inc.

SafeRedirect.aspx

Posted At: Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:36 PM
Posted To: Comments from Website
Conversation: maple models' shells
Subject: maple models' shells

Hi! I'm a longtime Pacific player; 5 years on my CX shell pack which has served me very well. I've had 2 minor complaints: some wrap bubbling issues on the 1st kit [promptly replaced by you guys, thanks very much], and a couple of minor bearing edge spots where the wrap seems to encroach on the edge right around the wrap's seam, causing a slightly uneven edge at those spots [but this issue hasn't caused me any tone or tuning problems, so I didn't bother returning again]. Oh, and I had to replace the snare's batter hoop 'cause the 1.6mm stock hoop didn't give me a very good side-stick sound. Replaced with a Gibraltar 2.3mm. Golden. Overall, a great kit for the price.

I'm looking at a 2nd kit, and was considering the Platinum series because, upon inspection at my local store, the wrapped kits didn't seem to have these bearing edge/wrap issues. After learning of your upcoming maple kits in the X7 and the new M5 series, I'm prompted to ask: other than pre-set configurations [7-piece kits being the point of the X7s] and, I assume, finish options, will there be any differences in shell construction between these two and the Platinums, and will any of them be any different from my CX shells?

I'll likely be going with the silver to black sparkle burst Platinums, since it's the closest thing to the regular silver sparkle finish I prefer that you offer, even though I prefer wrapped kits over laquer. [Weekend road warrior, y'know.] I got my CX kit just 2 months before the silver sparkle model came out... *sigh* I don't suppose you have any SS wrap left, and that I could order a maple kit with it in any of these maple models [preferrably the Platinums, since I like the lugs better]? And why is the sparkle on the silver to black sparkle fade X7 kits in pacificdrums.com's photos much more, ummm... "sparkle-y" than on the silver to black sparkle burst Platinums? Is it indeed the same sparkle finish [other than the fade/burst difference, of course] and it's just an issue with the site's photos, or is the X7 kit's sparkle effect actually more vivid?

Thanks for getting through the wordy descriptions to my questions, if you made it this far, haha!

Tim Evans
Wilson, NC

my band's sites:
boomerangrocks.com
myspace.com/niteowlnc

I'm wondering whether this is a misprint on the website links because I wasn't aware that the X7 series has maple shells. I looked on the Pacific website and they show the X7s having poplar shells.

If it's not a mistake that would be a great deal on a maple set with those features.

Also, if you look carefully at the photos on the product pages you will see that the black kit is listed as having a 16x16 floor tom and next to that 14x12 in the picture it definitely looks like the 16x14 size that typically comes in the F.A.S.T. tom size shell pack configuration. The other kit has a X7 finish that is available in their current poplar shell lineup.

I would definitely confirm before ordering.

If the X7 is offered in maple now, and its 700 for those sizes and number of drums, then thats a steal of a deal! I would go for it.

I have just recently pickud up a PDP X7 kit from a friend. For a poplar kit, this kit has punch. I put EC2 heads on mine and its sounds just like my FS birch I once had. I gotta hand it to PDP, they make really solid drums at affordable prices.

Back