Awards for Your Drumming

Arrold

This past year was my first time joining my high school's jazz band. Over my past four years, I have been involved in pretty much everything in my school's music program that could involve percussion, including Wind Ensemble, Marching Band, Pit Band, Percussion Ensemble... the list goes on. Never did jazz band because there were always other drummers that seemed better than me at jazz.

This senior year, I decided to join. I've had a couple years of on-and-off jazz education with my private drum instructor, and I felt I was comfortable enough to join jazz ensemble. It was the best decison of my musical career so far. The experience I had was monumental in furthering my skill on my instrument. One of my favorite parts of it was the song "Take 5." I got to have a drum solo for the first time of my life, and while I was first very nervous about doing a jazz solo in 5/4, I eventually nailed it every time. The response I got from audiences was almost overwhelming!

As of last night I am officially a recipient of the Louis Armstrong Jazz Award (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_award#Louis_Armstrong_award). It came completely unexpected, and I am just so amazed that I won an award like this. What a great way to end my senior year in high school!

Has anyone else won an award like this for their drumming? I am normally a very modest musician, but this really made me feel extremely proud of myself and the hard work I've put into my instrument. Share your stories!

I expect to receive "Most Annoying Neighbor 2010" from my community association this year.

Grats on your award.

Congrats! Yeah, I won a bunch of those types of things in high school. I forget them now (10 years later). Be proud of the award because it represents what YOU have achieved, and what YOU have done, not because of the award itself. After school, awards dry up, but personal accomplishments and pride in your growth will keep you playing forever!

Congrats! Yeah, I won a bunch of those types of things in high school. I forget them now (10 years later). Be proud of the award because it represents what YOU have achieved, and what YOU have done, not because of the award itself. After school, awards dry up, but personal accomplishments and pride in your growth will keep you playing forever!

Thank you! Many people think awards are meaningless, but to me they are a source of confidence and encouragement to keep doing what I love. :)

that's awesome! congratulations!

i think the biggest achievement for me when i was in high school was being voted "most talented" by my senior class of 800 students. the most satisfying part of that was watching the lead guitar player of my band, who was quite the egomaniac, scream and cry that he should have gotten it!

Well, a college degree is kind of like an award....sort of.

So is a paycheck.....sort of.

I think that the real confidence-boosting "award" for me is when clients compliment my group's playing, and then either hire us back or refer us to their friends/acquaintances! If my playing is so regarded by the audience that they go out of their way to spread positive word-of-mouth about our group, then THAT is the award/reward that I enjoy the most!

I won that award in high school as well. It seemed I was off and running, but somehow I ended up becoming a roadway desinger instead of jazz star.

Anyway congrats, winning is always more fun than losing.

In my mind awards are not meaningless. Awards do two things. They Reward people for a job well done, and they Inspire others to try harder. Congrats on the Armstrong award and display it proudly. maybe a picture of it for your avatar.

Haha does wikipedia have it right? It says that both John Petrucci and John Myung both received that same award. Funny how they both earned the same award, joined the same awesome band, and share the same first name. lol.

Thanks everyone and congrats others that have received this award.

Well, a college degree is kind of like an award....sort of.

So is a paycheck.....sort of.

I think that the real confidence-boosting "award" for me is when clients compliment my group's playing, and then either hire us back or refer us to their friends/acquaintances! If my playing is so regarded by the audience that they go out of their way to spread positive word-of-mouth about our group, then THAT is the award/reward that I enjoy the most!

Indeed, if I'll ever be able to make a living out of playing drums, that would be an award to really be proud of. Congrats on your success!

In my mind awards are not meaningless. Awards do two things. They Reward people for a job well done, and they Inspire others to try harder. Congrats on the Armstrong award and display it proudly. maybe a picture of it for your avatar.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I will have to take a picture of it and set it as my avatar. :)

We didn't have that award at my high school but they did have academic awards for the best person in each class (math, history, art, music) I got the jazz award junior and senior year, concert band award senior year, photography, and painting. I also got a 4 year perfect attendance award which I am really the most proud of. Everybody looked at me like "WHAT??? THAT GUY?" I hated being at home when I was younger, and I also really looked forward to band and jazz band classes.

I have been nominated twice for best drummer in my local alternative news weekly, and lost to the same guy both times. he is a monster drummer, and I don't ever think I will be better than him, maybe more popular someday, but never better. My band(s) have been nominated for best rock, world, hip hop numerous times too, but the only award we ever got was best male vocalist for the mc in the hip hop group I play in.

Congratulations on the award! Especially because you didn't do jazz band the first 3 years. Just don't put your feet up now, keep pushing and keep playing in ensembles it is the best learning you can ever do!

Back