New Year Drumming Resolutions?

B

BigSteve

Have you made any resolutions regarding your drumming for the coming year?

Mine is to find time to practice daily...I skip days sometimes and I feel that slows down my progress. I have also resolved to finish closing in my drum room so I can play on the kit without the wife having to hear it.

Happy New Year all!

Yes! To play at least a few gigs! And, the obvious of course - improve on every angle of my drumming.

1) PRACTICE MORE and refine my technique; after 12 years, there are still some things I could be doing better

2) Cut way back on alcohol consumption (1 beer max. before going onstage is my goal)

3) Save my money for a Benny Greb Sand Ride!

My New Years Resolution is to start smoking.

(on the drums of course)

larryace, My New Years Resolution is to start smoking.

Good one Larry! of course on the drums. Another of mine would be to quit smoking off of the drums.

To learn to play the bodhran. What I have in mind is putting together a little "kit" of maybe a splash cymbal, a triangle and a few more bits and bobs that could be played with the bodhran's beater. Just a bit of fun.

I also intend to bone up on Irish music, to get the sound of the drum planted firmly in my head.

to play in as ny places and as many people as possible!
and try to make my practice time more efficiant

This year I'm working on upgrading my set. I got a job last October and since I'm 14 I don't have any bills which means more money for my drums. So far I've picked up a Sabian AAX Stage Ride and have gotten AA regular hats and a Metal-X splash for christmas. And I'm going to pick up a HH Thin China tommorow at Chuck Levins'. I still have my three beginner crashes and another splash to upgrade and upgrade my Tama Rockstar's. Also I hope to get better videos on youtube this year. I'm picking up Sony Vegas to make better quality videos. I love having a job haha.

To get cozy with my kit rather than seeking to improve it.
To refine front of house balance so my dynamic input actually pays off.
To improve stage monitoring.
To practice so I never get something wrong rather than practicing until I get it right.
To never under estimate a simple passage without understanding it first.
To never play a punter request at a gig with only the sound check to rehearse it.
To get some decent original material into the studio.
To support my son's playing progression even more.

I'd like to work on my grip, make the time/commitment to master "The Art of Bop Drumming", and to stop making so many impulse buys with regards to gear.

With my hand on my heart, I pledge to i) work more with theory books (e.g. Progressive Steps ..., Stick Control, etc.); ii) spend more time with the riq; and, iii) stretch to avoid injuries.

Let's look at these resolutions next January! Good Luck All.

GJS

I'd like to work on my grip, make the time/commitment to master "The Art of Bop Drumming", and to stop making so many impulse buys with regards to gear.

ha, you can never have too much gear in my opinion, there's so much great stuff out there and it needs testing!

This year id like to develop my speed and fills, make them more interesting etc, Also id like to work a lot on paradiddles ect and incorporate them into my fills.

Does anyone know of any programmes that i can buy online or to download to make drum loops, i was looking at a site called sonic producer, i can make up beats, add keyboard etc to it then load it up as an mp3 and save it on my computer, does anyone know of any good programmes like this? except for apple, as i dont have a mac! thanks!

ha, you can never have too much gear in my opinion, there's so much great stuff out there and it needs testing!

I would certainly agree, but I'm 19 years old and taking time off from college so I can save money to go back. Unfortunately, drumming (or buying gear, at least) isn't always conducive to that goal of being thrifty.

Back